Free Will?

I'm a little careful when debating religious things.
I believe we can think what we want, difference between thinking and indulging, if a thought of evil crosses my mind and I banish it, its think, thats natural, if an evil thought comes up and I indulge in it and enjoy scheming it then its wrong.
However, if I'm speaking out, like in this forum, its a whole different story than thinking, my words may have the power to lead people astray. Thats what I ment when I said that about the elders, because they are qualified to lead, I don't want to say something stupid that will get myself and others in trouble. Of course, debating is what this forum is for (my equavalent of a cell group since I have none IRL, move around a lot) so I just be more careful.

After all, its mentioned several times (including at the end of Job) that his friends had commited sin for debating such things or something like that (someone explain please).

Job 42:7-8 7 And it was so, that after the LORD had spoken these words unto Job, the LORD said to Eliphaz the Temanite, My wrath is kindled against thee, and against thy two friends: for ye have not spoken of me the thing that is right, as my servant Job hath. 8 Therefore take unto you now seven bullocks and seven rams, and go to my servant Job, and offer up for yourselves a burnt offering; and my servant Job shall pray for you: for him will I accept: lest I deal with you after your folly, in that ye have not spoken of me the thing which is right, like my servant Job.

All three of Job's friends had counsiled him on his problems. They told him that he must have done something wrong, even though he did not know of anything wrong he had done. They told him that God will only do good for those that are in right standing with Him, and only do bad to those who deserve it. They were putting boudries to what God can and can not do, though He is God and can do whatever He wills, for whatever reasons He chooses. Job believed he was living rightly and only sought a reason for troubles.

I believe that the prolem here was that they weren't debating or seeking the truth, they were merely telling Job that he was wrong and he should admit it, while, in actuallity, they were wrong. We're not here to indoctinate others with false wisdom, but to compare thoughts and better ourselves and each other. Iron sharpeneth Iron!

I'm a little careful when debating religious things.

That's why we're discussing, not debating. *grin* The basic difference is that we're keeping it civil and not making personal attacks.

I believe we can think what we want, difference between thinking and indulging, if a thought of evil crosses my mind and I banish it, its think, thats natural, if an evil thought comes up and I indulge in it and enjoy scheming it then its wrong.

I'm afraid that I don't understand, and attempts at trying to understand would likely take this out of context. Can you provide an example of something that it's okay to think about but not to do? Every example I can imagine seems to contradict Jesus:

Matthew 15:18But the things that come out of the mouth come from the heart, and these make a man 'unclean.' 19For out of the heart come evil thoughts, murder, adultery, sexual immorality, theft, false testimony, slander. 20These are what make a man 'unclean'; but eating with unwashed hands does not make him 'unclean.' "

and again, with the teachings of Peter:

2 Peter 2:18For they mouth empty, boastful words and, by appealing to the lustful desires of sinful human nature, they entice people who are just escaping from those who live in error. 19They promise them freedom, while they themselves are slaves of depravity—for a man is a slave to whatever has mastered him.

I'm certainly willing to discuss the topic if I have misinterpreted what you were trying to say :)

However, if I'm speaking out, like in this forum, its a whole different story than thinking, my words may have the power to lead people astray. Thats what I ment when I said that about the elders, because they are qualified to lead,

Elders, Deacons, and Pastors are all still sinful men. We're just as much at risk to make mistakes. Believe me when I say that to become a deacon (which basically translates into servant - meaning my job is to serve the congregation), there was no special training, there was no special background packet, there was no special anything that I had to complete before I was eligible to be accepted as a deacon.

And our church Eldership is picked from among the deacons. They are no different than anyone else, except they are willing to serve, willing to put in more time, willing to commit more time to prayer, worship, and listening. If you read the list of qualifications in 1 Timothy 3, there's nothing about how much training or knowledge you have to have - just that you hold to the deep truths (Jesus' teachings, God's commands, et al)

I don't want to say something stupid that will get myself and others in trouble. Of course, debating is what this forum is for (my equavalent of a cell group since I have none IRL, move around a lot) so I just be more careful.

1 John 1:2The life appeared; we have seen it and testify to it, and we proclaim to you the eternal life, which was with the Father and has appeared to us. 3We proclaim to you what we have seen and heard, so that you also may have fellowship with us. And our fellowship is with the Father and with his Son, Jesus Christ. 4We write this to make our[a] joy complete.

Part of what John is talking about is sharing our faith. We share in our fellowship. Even though we may never meet face-to-face in this world, we are still "meeting" here to share, learn, and discuss together. And that is part of what makes our joy complete! I'd say that ESPECIALLY since you don't have a home church, you need to stay active and participate in a group that lets you fellowship with other believers. A man cannot weather the storm alone; it is when we fellowship in Christ's name that we find our true strength.

As for your question about Job and sinning, I think that Sassamo summed it up nicely. Another point to consider is that they were judging Job, while God clearly says that He alone is the judge.

Matthew 7:1"Do not judge, or you too will be judged. 2For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you."

Last edited:
Ah ok, makes sense. And what I was talking about at the first paragraph;
In your day to day life your brain subconciously brings up evil thoughts sometimes. Thats natural but dwelling on them isnt.

Last edited:
Mark 8:34 (New International Version)

34Then he called the crowd to him along with his disciples and said: "If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross and follow me."

We're hammered with so many messages through the day that it's nearly impossible to not have an errant thought. It's our response (even dwelling on it in thought only) that can make it a sin.

Anytime. I love when I see people asking questions, because it gives me a point to study. Some days I have trouble forcing myself to pick a topic and study it, but if I'm involved in a discussion about it, it gets a lot easier - which means I learn something and spend time talking to other believers. It's my second "small group" :)

Back