FOOD!!!!!!!!

I may wind up repeating myself because I have a limited number of foods I like, so someone keep me honest. This is something I haven't fixed since I blew the fuse on my pressure cooker a few months back, I really miss it. But I do not fix it with cabbage. The first time I fixed it shortly after we were married, my better half looked at it when I put it in the pressure cooker she denied she could ever eat it. Guess who likes it now when I pressure cook it.

Corned Beef

Yum.

A local restaurant here makes wonderful Corned Beef hash. That's one of those foods that, freshly prepared, isn't anything remotely like what you get out of a can. One of their specials is poached eggs over the hash.

While on the subject of cheese, how many of you have had this treat purchased fresh from a cheese factory in Da Yoo P or in Wisconsin?

Cheese curds

Nice squeaky fresh, not fried just wonderful little fresh nuggets of cheese.

Just had my cheesecake with strawberries. While on dessert let's have some:

Peanut Butter cookies

I really should give the vegetarians a little consideration, the only problem is some eat dairy and eggs, and some don't. So lets do a children's vegetarian snack that should please most vegetarians. Hope you have heard of this one.

Ants on a log.

I had to google it "Ants on a log is a snack made by spreading peanut butter on celery and placing raisins on top."
Good for a relatively healthy snack but I'd probably substitute chocolate chips :D

My better half heard about the Ants on a Log and had a suggestion. It is a simple to make and delicious candy called:

Potato Candy

Chunky, natural peanut butter on celery is great. You can keep nasty ants. :D

Never heard of potato candy.

Let's start putting together a dinner for the US Thanksgiving holiday. First what I am campaigning for is a trip to Golden Corral for Thanksgiving, it will have to be after the Salvation Army Corps dinner, which will actually be held Thanksgiving Day this year. Because we are anticipating 600 people again this year I can't participate (panic attacks are so ugly.). So let's build a dinner here, I will bring

Ham and Turkey

Both because that is what my daughter insists on every year claiming we taught her that.

Last edited:
Turkey is easy here: deep fried after being marinated and injected with juices and spices. I always associate ham with honey-baked, which I'm not particularly fond of, but to each his own.

I'll bring the cranberry sauce. Warning, for those of you who are used to the nasty cylinder of cranberry jelly squelched out of a can, this will be an eye opening experience.

Fresh cranberries boiled in water, raspberry juice, and real maple syrup until they pop, with grated orange zest and walnuts folded in afterward. Can be served warm, or chilled if you want it to be thicker.

I can provide the stuffing as well. It'll be made with poultry stock instead of butter, so you can enjoy more of it without that heavy feeling. There will also be bits of (not too) spicy sausage and dried cherries to liven it up.

Both recipes complements of the incomparable Silver Palate ladies.

Now my mouth is watering. Time for some lunch.

Last edited:
Who said anything about Honey Baked ham? I don't use the stuff given a choice, I will decorate it with cloves while baking though. Maybe a non-sweet mustard glaze. What else are we having? I can get behind stuffing and cranberries, good stuff, but we really need more.

Back