FOOD!!!!!!!!

Let's throw in a favorite bed time snack, and tell me your favorite type.

Cereal

Some retroactive responses:

Hospital Food: My wife loved the carrot cake. She got it as the dessert with every meal during her hospital stay after the birth of each of our kids.

Bedtime Snack: We eat way too much popcorn at night, after the kids have gone to bed. Popped the old fashioned way in oil in a big pot. We do use olive oil, so it's not completely the old fashioned way.

Steak and Eggs: Never been much of a steak eater, and alway think of it as dinner food. I'm more than willing to eat breakfast for dinner, but not inclined to eat dinner for breakfast. I think I'd rather just have more eggs. :D

I have discovered a new Wendy's sandwich, it ain't healthy, but it has bacon so ya can't go wrong.

Wendy's Bacon Portabella sandwich.

Mushrooms and bacon are a great combo. I don't know the Wendy's sandwich (don't eat fast food very often), but bacon and mushroom is a favorite combo at our house for pizza topping. Sauteed mushrooms and bacon is also great for when we do baked potato day at work (a bunch of us do a potlucky kind of thing on Fridays).

Last edited:
Where I took my son for an early birthday dinner when he was here yesterday.

Red Lobster

Also known as Dead Lobster in our household.

Ah we have heard from our Leader in Exile so let's go with something I believe originated there.

Shepherd's Pie

Eh.. not bad, not great.. I had a good lamb pie the other day. Bangers and Mash are alright. I'm more a fan of the mash than the bangers though..

I think it would all depend on da cook. Which reminds me we have a little hole in da wall Chinese restaurant that is really very good. The only problem is they are beginning to know my better half and I too well. They know that the chances are pretty good that we will order the same thing almost every time. I think I have done this but here we go.

Crab Rangoon and fried rice, pork for me, veggie for her. Most of the servers beat her to the phrase, "Only peas, carrots, and onions."

Instead of the usual sauce I've taught her to like soy sauce with Crab Rangoon, and I use a little Chinese mustard and a little soy sauce. Their Rangoon is different in that there is not a lot of sugar in it, very tasty.

As for shepherd's pie/bangers and mash, my wife likes a variation called bubble and squeak. Mash potatoes, a little cabbage, ham and gravy. Comfort food all the way.

The kids like crab rangoon, but I'd take some fried dumplings (pot stickers) over rangoon any day. We hunt out the best pot stickers when we're in a new place. It's amazing how much variation there can be in the ways people prepare them. Hot, fresh, and with the right dipping sauce, they are amazing.

I read once that they are traditionally a New Year's treat since they are time intensive to make, so we tried it one year. Had a bunch of friends over, and everyone pitched in rolling the dough and forming the dumplings, then we fried them up and ate them. It was very successful.

We have two different Chinese restaurants that we eat at in town. One is a great hole-in-the-wall take-out kinda place. The other is a vast all-you-can-eat buffet. Our kids have learned to refer to them as "good Chinese" and "bad Chinese". As in, "Let's go to bad Chinese for dinner tonight", which means going to the buffet. It all comes down to whether one is in the mood for quality or variety. :D

This Chinese place had a lot going against it, odd location, small building, but there was worse. At one time this was a Waffle House which went belly up, then it was a place called Dewieghts Waffle House with the same sad story. Then after a rather long hiatus it became a bad Mexican restaurant which closed after a very short time. So when this came in with a misspelled sign that said "We Delivery" the expectations for any restaurant in that location were poor, let alone with that sign. But it's quality and quantity are both great, no buffet, but they take good care of their customers, and it is often very busy dine in, as well as a lot of carry out. So it may have broke the curse after all this time. Speaking of buffets one of my favorite up north was called The Sweden House, which reminds me of our typical Christmas Eve dinner.

Swedish Meat Balls and rice.

Easy to fix, great leftover, what more can you ask during a busy time? Leaves lot's of time for Christmas worship and family meditation.

As for shepherd's pie/bangers and mash, my wife likes a variation called bubble and squeak. Mash potatoes, a little cabbage, ham and gravy. Comfort food all the way.

The kids like crab rangoon, but I'd take some fried dumplings (pot stickers) over rangoon any day. We hunt out the best pot stickers when we're in a new place. It's amazing how much variation there can be in the ways people prepare them. Hot, fresh, and with the right dipping sauce, they are amazing.

I read once that they are traditionally a New Year's treat since they are time intensive to make, so we tried it one year. Had a bunch of friends over, and everyone pitched in rolling the dough and forming the dumplings, then we fried them up and ate them. It was very successful.

We have two different Chinese restaurants that we eat at in town. One is a great hole-in-the-wall take-out kinda place. The other is a vast all-you-can-eat buffet. Our kids have learned to refer to them as "good Chinese" and "bad Chinese". As in, "Let's go to bad Chinese for dinner tonight", which means going to the buffet. It all comes down to whether one is in the mood for quality or variety. :D

bubble & Squeak;
after eating cabbage most of us squeak from time to time

Back