FOOD!!!!!!!!

I used to go to Wendy's a lot until a Wisconsin chain named Culver's moved into Colorado Springs a few years ago. I still like Wendy's, especially when I need a frosty, but I don't go as often anymore. My two favorites are Culver's and Chick-fil-A

I agree that there are more localized chains that give Wendy's a real run, Bill Thomas Halo Burger (Flint, MI), Burgerville (WA, OR), Whatta Burger (south and southwest), but I picked the true national chain that could provide the widest appeal (unlike Chik fil a's chicken only), and good quality, with an excellent community service program.

I will admit, I really like Wendy's too. If Chick-fil-a were taken out of the running, Wendy's would be my choice.

OK went with a big chain before, today let's chase down the smaller places. The tiny one shop wonders, the little guys that know how to do it right. And that gets difficult because some of them have such a combo of friendliness, food, quality, service that it is hard to decide. And I have been to a LOT of little sandwich shops and burger places in my life. From Washington state to Washington D.C.. From FL to Alaska, how to decide? I will have to go with a current one close by here, my grandkids are welcome to walk around quietly, food is great, owner cares about doing it right, you get all of the local atmosphere not put on or made up, prices are fair, and they will make any thing not on the menu they have the ingredients for. There is even an on going special they make for my better half created by one of the employees, The Goldie Special. How much better can you get?

C&S Sandwich Shop

I will have to choose two different ones.

The Red Barn, Gardner, ME - the best seafood chowder EVER.

Just Barb's, Belfast, ME - Best fried clams, and other seafood too.

Of course, the owners and staff are fantastic. They are both great homey, friendly environments. This isn't good. Now I want to take a trip that I won't have time for at least another 6 months....

Been thinking here about where to go next. Let's stay more to the south again, great in sandwiches, or biscuits, even just on it's lonesome.

Fried Bologna

I have even seen some great gravy made with it.

OK in light of the most recent issues we will run something special, and yes I did go there, and for once I ate chicken, and it was at least doable, maybe repeatable.

Chik-Fil-A

Eat more chikin

OK in light of the most recent issues we will run something special, and yes I did go there, and for once I ate chicken, and it was at least doable, maybe repeatable.

Chik-Fil-A

Eat more chikin
We did too. I usually get the number two combo although I should get the grilled version. It was packed but they were friendly, efficient and accurate. It was fun!

My wife and I went yesterday as well. We waited an hour, and the wait steadily increased after we left. As always, the service was fantastic. There was one quiet protester where we are, but I know of another Chick-fil-a that had an angry protester show up. After talking with a few customers he left happy and shouting peace and love.

While we are discussing foods that contribute to hardening of the arteries I would like to throw in one that I miss from my time in exile in da Yoo P of Michigan. Fresh squeaky ones are best.

Cheese Curds

Sorry we have left the vegans out, not to worry today we make up for that. This things can be used a lot of different ways, my favorite is hard to decide. Fresh or deep fried are equally wonderful. And the wide variety of them doesn't hurt either.

Mushrooms

we have left the vegans out

And for good reason. Everyone knows the four main food groups are beef, chicken, pork, and fish. Everything else is either condiments to make your meat taste better or junk food that you eat just to enjoy.

For example, when you order a hamburger, they give you stuff to go with it so it taste great. Like a bun, pickles, onions, swiss cheese, and of course, mushrooms! But those are just condiments to accentuate the beef.

Genesis 9:3, God says, "Every moving thing that lives shall be food for you. And I have given you all things, even as the green herbs."

Every moving thing = meat
Herbs = condiments

Top of the food chain and lovin' it! :D

(Note: no insult is intended in this hyperbole)

Last edited:
All right can't let the vegans take over, let's get back to the basics again. My mother, even as old as she is getting to be, still fixes this great. Just a little pot roast flair to it with carrots, onions, and a wee bit of celery. Add a hearty gravy for the mashed potatoes and you are in good eating.

Baked steak.

Visited at her apt today and this is what she fixed.

OK let's let the vegans have some good food for a change. We'll leave out the ham, sausage, bacon, or other meats and meat by products. I know we can use sausage spice and still make it good, and make it vegan, been there done that for budget reasons.

Beans and cornbread

you pick type, brown beans(pinto) or white beans (great northern).

Back