FOOD!!!!!!!!

Kendrick......we did not find too many places while living in FL that actually had "good food".....even the national fast food doesn't taste the same and is worse......but Tijuana Flats is one of the few places we miss about moving away.

I LOVE Mexican food and even try a to make a few things myself...........we went to Mexico andn also through it on a cruise or two if I recall right......can't remember the place, but OMGOODNESS.....the best guacamole you can even get......made fresh at your table.......now that's good eating.

Kendrick......we did not find too many places while living in FL that actually had "good food".....even the national fast food doesn't taste the same and is worse......but Tijuana Flats is one of the few places we miss about moving away.

I LOVE Mexican food and even try a to make a few things myself...........we went to Mexico andn also through it on a cruise or two if I recall right......can't remember the place, but OMGOODNESS.....the best guacamole you can even get......made fresh at your table.......now that's good eating.
Fresh guac is a great way to go. Not even too hard to make. Omnomnom.

But yeah, I've noticed that the food here is found wanting, and I think it's weird that it even affects the national chains. Cheesesteaks are probably the best thing around here, and those are good, but I miss good Mexican and Chinese food options.

But I had a beef chimichanga at Tijuana Flats last night, and it was good. Still, returning to the current food topic, I think the blackened chicken burrito with black beans is the best thing I've had there so far. I must confess, though, that the ghost sauce is my favorite part about the place. Mmm. Burns so good.

Burritos are great. There's a local place here in MI that does a chorizo (made with chicken, oddly enough) and egg burrito that is awesome, with a tasty green salsa to add as liberally as desired.

As for Portland, OR, I was just there this summer and tried Little Big Burger for the first time. Very nice. They make the patties smaller around but thicker, so you get the same beef, but with less bun, so more meat/bun ratio. Their fries are what's truly awesome. Yukon gold potatoes fried in white truffle oil. Ah-maz-ing!

While we are in Mexican I must confess I will never order a combo in a good Mexican restaurant unless is includes:

rice and refried beans

it just kinda is the perfect complement.

I like Mexican rice, and I like refried beans in things. As a side, though, refried beans feel like filler to me. There are too many other good things I'd rather have. Like tortillas and really good salsa.

Ok time is getting short and I am reminded of a family tradition that we have had for years and was supposed to be gone this year, but is making it's appearance anyway. My family as far back as I can remember has done a "Goodie Table". A table with all kinds of fruit, candy, cookies, you name it, with recharge and refresh items waiting. Christmas Eve you eat a real dinner and afterwards it becomes open season on the table through Christmas day, all you can stuff in yer face. For kids who lived in a family on a strict budget this was like heaven, and the tradition lived on later in our family when my wife and I got married and had kids. This year we were going to skip it because we have only the two of us, and we are so busy. Well so far there is a shrimp ring lurking in the freezer, and a cheese ball in the fridge, along with blueberry candy canes and specialty crackers waiting. And my better half is going to try to squeeze in some time for cookie making, I guess I can buy some fruit to go with it all. Some traditions die hard. I was reminded earlier this season of an item I can't make, my other half doesn't know how to make, and my mother doesn't have time to make, but was always there on the table.:

Divinity

Gotta admit, I don't get Divinity. Angel food cake is light and airy. Devil's food is rich and decadent.

Divinity? I don't see anything divine about it. It's strangely tasteless and has an unpleasant texture.

In my head it's one of those previous generation things left from the 50's, like jello molds with pineapple suspended in them, creamed vegetables, or "salads" comprised mostly of mayonnaise.

I'm with Enok on divinity - just never been the one I went for on the plate.

Can't remember the last time I had divinity. The problem is, I can't remember whether I liked it or not as a result of that. D'oh!

Ok what else will go on the Goodies Table? I know a salute to California:

Mixed nuts

Can't go wrong with mixed nuts! (Unless you have an allergy, of course. Then you can go very wrong with mixed nuts.)

Still, I suck when it comes to mixed nuts. My OCD-when-it-comes-to-food wants to unmix my handful before consuming. haha

And I return your salute...

I eat mixed nuts - but I prefer peanuts or cashews or pecans or what ever kind, all by themselves.

Agreed, Abba San. I can only eat a few cashews at time, or they just start to feel overly greasy. Love pecans, though I'm more likely to put them in something than eat them raw. We eat walnuts and almonds by themselves all the time.

Walnuts actually have Omega 3.

I have to be careful, though. I never had a clue how many calories are in nuts until I started keeping a food diary last year. They add up fast, so I'm careful to keep it down to about a quarter cup.

true on the calories - but the raw food (live enzymes) and fiber are so good for you...

love them...hardly a Christmas without them as I was growing up...seldom have one anymore...now you made me want to go get some.

We talkin' regular ol' tangerine oranges or the candy in the form of a sugar-coated orange slice... or somethin' else entirely?

Cuz I rather like both of the aforementioned items. But if you've something else in mind, I need to hear about it.

Please.

The fruit. I tried interesting her in Tangelos, but she prefers tangerines. And I can't have grapefruit, much as I like it, it messes with my meds. So tangerines it is.

You should try clementines.....yummy and they are supposed to help with keeping congestion and such down during the cold season......Ursen.....I know meds "say" grapefruit and grapefruit juice, but other citrus can mess with the absorption too. Need a few hours away from these types of foods and meds.........

Blessings and Hugs, "Angel"

Back