First Character - What Kind of Build Are You Planning on Using?

Tinkered with Axe/Torch combo on a Ranger last stress test. Add Sun Spirit/Solar Flare and Fire Trap and it is a very effective build. Was taking on centaurs up to five at a time that were my level (14) and surviving. The effect when getting mobbed up close and dirty was visually stunning and deadly to boot.

Mesmer. Going with the sword-pistol/staff build.
PvP I'll probably go with a power build. Heavy on crit and Hp.
Pve I've been doing some very interesting calculations with a phantasm build.
Just have to try it and see if it works.

I've seen several threads talking about builds and thought I'd bump this one up and get a consolidated discussion about specific builds going. Maybe we can get a sticky build thread? Anyway I'll throw mine in, any comments or suggestions are welcome.

Main will be mesmer:

Pvp build- http://gw2skills.net/editor/en/?fgQQNAW8KGJO9I6J/5kK06SPwdt5NA;T8Ag0ynEOJdS9kyJKaM0IoxWjjGJNLKGVspA
Sword and pistol compliment each other extremely well, and #2 sword blurred frenzy is one of mesmer's nastiest attacks. #3 on sword and #5 on pistol give great opportunities to land #2. The staff is ranged and offers survivability through #2, #4, and #5. For the traits the dueling line is purely to bring the pain, inspiration is for added survivability, and in domination the trait is for the bonus damage to mind wrack.

Pve build- http://gw2skills.net/editor/en/?fgA...gqLpA31G;T8Ag0ynEOJdS9kyJKaM0IoxWjjGJNLKGVsrA
Again I'm going with sword/pistol and staff. After playing it in the bwe's and stress tests I just love this combination. For the traits I'm backing off the survivability, as I feel that kiting is a viable alternative, and instead have went for full on havoc reeking. The damage in this build will primarily come from phantasm's therefore in the domination line phantasm's get a buff, in the dueling line phantasm's get a buff, in the inspiration line phantasm's get a buff, and in the illusion's line... you guessed it. If my math holds true phantasmal haste will give an extra attack between shatters, very nice if I'm right, still have to test it though.

So there they are, constructive criticism welcomed.

edit:I just remembered that the armor for pve will be completely different than the pvp stuff shown on that build site. So for pve armor my plan is go with the high damage theme and stack power/precision.

Last edited:
Since I have recently decided on starting with a warrior, I'll post what I'm thinking of using for builds:

Rifle Warrior (Condition Build)
http://gw2skills.net/editor/en/?fIEQNBkYDbE0p5NGy6hJOggPUFWGGh4dekEBI5B;T8Ag1ynEOJdS9kyJqmMNJay2krJZTrSGisJB

Power 2075
Precision 2389
Toughness 1116
Vitality 1425
Attack 3280
Crit. chance 74%
Armor 2327
Health 23462

High Power, Very High Crit, and Moderate Defense
(Purpose: Stay mobile in the backfield and pick off enemies at distance)

...Alternative Build (if Rifle gets boring)...

Hammer Tank Warrior (with Banner Support)
http://gw2skills.net/editor/en/?fIEQNAS8ejgOVwBQuP4wBE0jqgLyCTBhI9IMGw1A;T8AA1ytEaJ1StlSLKbM2IsxajzGpNrNGbsRA

Power 2555
Precision 916
Toughness 2325
Vitality 2210
Attack 3666
Crit. chance 4%
Armor 3536
Health 31312

Power based on gear (pumps up to high power), Very high Defense, Very high Vitality, with all traits associated with banners.
(Purpose - on the front lines, taking heavy damage, and staying put until the fight is over) *Dual Maces would work for this kind of build as well.

Taran, how are you figuring up your stats? I've been trying to get accurate numbers for some of that stuff for my builds. Your link only says 18% on Crit, but I know that's probably not right.

That's really strange. I just clicked on the link again and found it strips away all gear (amulet, runes, and so forth). So that's why the percentage changed on us.

Those stats really change when you add the level 80 gear. But yeah, as leveling, the crit chance is going to be a lot lower. Fortunately, the build relies, not just on crit, but on power, too. So it'll still pump out serious damage while leveling. But being ranged, it would probably be really good with a melee partner at least.

Back