Feed The Beast

I have brought a new server up, as I was playing, and thought Id let others know, in case they wanted to check it out. New info is in the first post. :)

I just got back from a business trip, so I'll definitely be checking this out. Are you (or anyone else that is just getting started) interested in a cooperative build?

Well, Im not just getting started, been in this world for a bit, but you are more than welcome to come by and use anything I have so far. (634,64,151)

Don't have much but I do have a smeltery, a mini farm, and a huge iron tank filling with water. :D

Last edited:
I'm really liking it so far, it was a bit overwhelming at first but when I looked at each individual mod it became easier to understand. I probably won't be on the ToJ server for awhile because of this server.. xD
Also I think I crashed the server a few times because of the portal gun sucking everything into outer space. Sorry about that, I've learned my lesson.

Im glad your enjoying it! No worries about crashing it, its running on my gaming machine at home, and while I was playing other games, Java ran out of memory. I can't guarantee it will be up 100% of the time anyways.. :)

Well, that explains why I couldn't connect the other day! No worries - these things happen. And I've got about a dozen other games in my backlog that are begging for attention.

It's definitely a lot easier to wrap your head around FTP if you focus on 1-2 mods at a time. While they all play together nicely (for the most part), you'll find that sticking with a single mod is much simpler than trying to mix-and-match. For instance, if you use IC2, you'll get used to using hammers and snips to pound and cut metal into different shapes for the crafting recipe, while harvesting resin for rubber; if you use Thermal Expansion instead, you'l get used to making all the gears and metallic alloys. If you try to use both, then you've got twice the work ahead of you. Same goes for mods like Thaumcraft and Ars Magica.

If you try to use both, then you've got twice the work ahead of you. Same goes for mods like Thaumcraft and Ars Magica.
To solve that we just divided the magical load between ourselves. Gator handles the Ars Magica as I take on Thaumcraft, then we both split Witchery.

Took a break from Agrarian Skies tonight and got on for a couple hours.. :)

I replaced the carrots and potatoes with wheat and barley in the auto-planters. There are almost a thousand potatoes and carrots in the AE system. Feel free to help yourself. :)
I did venture into the Twilight Forest.. Being able to fly around makes things so much easier.. lol..
Need to work on moving the machines underground, so I can organize them better, and start on the auto-crafting system.
Was also thinking about flying far in one direction and setting up some quarries. The turtle just takes too long..

Edit to add: I should mention, I also took some time to optimize the server. Seeing as there are more people on it, I figured I should do that, so it would stop crashing.. :)

I tried to get on last night, but the server wasn't responding. I don't recall what time it was - maybe around 7:00 pm EDT?

FYI - you can take the carrots and potatoes, and craft them in a 3x3 grid to get a bag - compressing them in a 9:1 ratio. This is a reversible process. Might help with the AE storage.

Twilight = awesome. Lots of endermen, lots of rubber trees. I don't have the armor to take on any of the bosses in the towers (the hydra was easy in bat form, but towers don't have space for maneuvering).

I'll be happy to help with the machinery - were we still interested in moving them to an industrial district, or did you just want to leave them in the basement? We could create underground "sewer" passages to connect all the buildings - most of that is done already. If I harvest a few more ender pearls, I'll be happy to craft some elevators for easier access....

If you want to quarry - might I suggest creating a Mystcraft digger age? I can look up what pages are required to create it, but we can shove all the quarries over there, and can even schedule "resetting" that age to recover system resources (by just deleting the added dimension). Plus, it keeps the ugliness of large holes in the ground out of the normal overworld. Alternatively, you could quarry the Deep Deep Dark. Resources there are supposedly very abundant. Just make sure to have torches nearby :)

How are you enjoying Agrarian Skies? I'm still interested in doing a coop run through that, if anyone is interested. If necessary/desired, I'll be happy to host a 2-3 man AS server.

The elevators blocks made from wool (the ones you use shift to move down or jump to go up a level) is set to default mode so it takes something like a entire level no mater how much exp you have (if your level 30, thats alot more expensive to use it than someone with 5 levels.)

I'd recommend changing the config to set it to free, it should already be fair to do that on account of most people have a flying morph and the block having certain limitations already.

Twilight = awesome. Lots of endermen, lots of rubber trees. I don't have the armor to take on any of the bosses in the towers (the hydra was easy in bat form, but towers don't have space for maneuvering).

Despite sharing a name with an atrocious fiction series, the description sounds so cool. It, once again, makes me wish my computer could handle FTB. :)

Sorry about all the up and down with the server today.. Im not sure why its doing that..

I did get some stuff done though, mainly moved all the animals. I thought I was getting lag because of them, but maybe it was another problem.. I low it kicked me about 4 or 5 times this morning..

The quarry had finished mining, so me going and removing the surface-water has stopped the server until it can calculate how it will drain all of that watery mess.
I suspect chunk-loaders and calculating liquids (lava in nether, water in overworld) has effects on the general health of the server.

Once server is back up I plan on taking my chickenchunks-loader covering my small area offline until I find a place to planting it in a Myst world where I can farm with golems.

Well, I wast home yesterday till really late, and left early for work, so I wasn't able to check the server.. Seems its down, and I won't be able to get to it till later after work.. Sorry guys.

And its back down >_<
If you could somehow NBTedit out the water of the quarry that would solve the crash. My character logged into those chunks dead (no gravestone leftbehind, bye bye items) and so that loaded all the laggy water again and froze up the server.

When I logged in earlier, I went out to the quarry and pulled all the items out, and didnt seem to lag the server out.. I watched the water go down a little bit..

I went into creative and cleared all the water. hopefully no more crashes.

I can see it now... a lattice-work of redstone in the sky, with dispensers at the nodes, ready to dump sponges on the world when the server crashes. Kind of the inverse of fire suppression systems.

Back