Exorcisms?

What's the difference between being demonically influenced and having a demon dwelling inside you?

Isn't influencing really nothing more then tempting somebody to make a decision other then the one they would have made?

For example: Satan tempting Christ. Hardly any indwelling of a demon there.

Gods_Peon said:
Isn't influencing really nothing more then tempting somebody to make a decision other then the one they would have made?

For example: Satan tempting Christ. Hardly any indwelling of a demon there.

Hmmm, so do you believe that Christians are immune to possession?

What about being immune to demonic influence?

I find it hard to believe that of all the people that have claimed to be demonically possessed, none of them were Christian.

Master~Plan said:
(quote by DV)
Its really only faith that can cast demons out. If you have faith in an inanimate object, your going to be disappointed.

Understood...BUT, if that is the case, then why do so many different sects of Christianity use items like crosses, annointed oils, prayer cloths, etc? Your church doesn't use ANYTHING like that?

Your church doesn't use ANYTHING like that?
nope. We have grape juice and unlevened crackers for communion representing Jesus' death. And baptism representing new life. But its just water, juice, and crackers. What they represent is where the value is.

Scripture tells us that we are engaged in spiritual warfare. Though they have already been defeated by Christ’s death and resurrection, Satan and his minions do continue to wage war against the saints. (2 Cor. 4:4; 1 Pet. 5:8-9).

However, 1 Corinthians 6 declares that the body of the Christian is the temple of the Holy Spirit. Furthermore, John 14 makes it clear that believers are indwelt by God the Father and His Son, Jesus Christ. To conclude, therefore, that Christians can be demonized is to admit that demons can inhabit the very temple of God Almighty. Well they may be able to bug you, and harass you, but they cannot possess you.

Considering that Christianity had BARELY begun that wouldn't be possible now would it?

Nice strawman argument though.

I can't show you in the scriptures where Christ said to celebrate Easter either.

I'm sure with a little digging I can find reports of Christians who claim to have been possessed. Does that mean they weren't Christians or that they weren't really possessed?

I look forward to your verses.

If someone has reported a Christian that was possessed then yes, that person wasn't a true Christian.

Most Christians of today have a 'said faith' vs a 'real faith'. There is a HUGE difference between the two.

DV, read the scriptures. It is extremely clear that if one has accepted Christ genuinely that his/her body is now the temple of which He lives in. Are you trying to tell me that satan(again lower case intentional) can come right in and kick Christ out. I think not.

I believe demons can attempt to influence us. Ultimately in the end, it is our choice to sin against God or not.

There is no room for two opposite spirits to be indwelled in man. Either the Holy Spirit takes up residence or not, leaving an empty space to be filled by evil spirits. Yes, the scripture talks about this. There is a thread on this in the forum, I can't find it right now because I'm sick and the fog in my head seems to blur things too much.

kevman4christ said:
If someone has reported a Christian that was possessed then yes, that person wasn't a true Christian.

Most Christians of today have a 'said faith' vs a 'real faith'. There is a HUGE difference between the two.

DV, read the scriptures. It is extremely clear that if one has accepted Christ genuinely that his/her body is now the temple of which He lives in. Are you trying to tell me that satan(again lower case intentional) can come right in and kick Christ out. I think not.

That's why I asked you to supply me with scriptures to support your view.

Gods_Peon said:
I believe demons can attempt to influence us. Ultimately in the end, it is our choice to sin against God or not.

There is no room for two opposite spirits to be indwelled in man. Either the Holy Spirit takes up residence or not, leaving an empty space to be filled by evil spirits. Yes, the scripture talks about this. There is a thread on this in the forum, I can't find it right now because I'm sick and the fog in my head seems to blur things too much.

Why isn't it possible for God to let demonic possession of a Christian occur?

He let Satan have his way with Job didn't he?

Ok, I did some cursory reading and I believe I better understand the difference between Demonic Oppression and Demonic Possession.

However, I also discovered there is NO scriptural evidence that conclusively says Christians can't be possessed.

From biblebelievers.com:

When asked for reasons why they think Christians can't be demon possessed one will usually hear, "It's not possible for the Holy Spirit and a demon to dwell in the same body," "It is unthinkable to believe the Holy Spirit would let a devil in a Christian's body, which is God's temple," A born again believer has been redeemed by the blood of Christ and because of that no devil can indwell him," etc., etc. But such arguments are purely emotional without a single Bible verse to stand on. These people have convinced themselves of something that is not true because of the repulsiveness of the question, but emotion and feelings do not make "sound doctrine."

Dark Virtue said:

A> Wasn't a possession
B> The Holy Spirit wasn't sent to be with men until after the ascention.

Dark Virtue said:

Yes, He did. But lets make it clear that He didn't allow Job to be POSSESSED.

Back