Exorcisms?

Gandhi

Well today on A&E is a show called Real Exorcists, I watched it a few days ago in the hospital and was wondering what people thought about the subject.
To me some of it looked scary. :)

it is all very scary, and very real, i don't know about anyone else but i plan on watching "The Exocism of Emily ____" (can't remember last name) but it looks really good, plus its a true story.. can't wait.. i'm gonna be so scared....

If it's as "true" as the Exorcist or the Amityville Horror, I'd take it with a very large grain of salt.

Is it just me, or is the topic of exorcism mostly a Catholic concept? Most Christians here are Protestant I think, what's your take on exorcisms...and demonic possession for that matter?

I believe it is possible (demonic possesion) but Christians are protected because we are occupied ;) I plan on studing this next summer when im stuck in a glorified tent other wise known as a yurt... My pastor was talking about it and says you better be ready for it because when you study it and learn about it your entering a war of saints and fallen angels at least thats what i believe demons to be... Im not quite sure what they mean of an exorcism

Its not only catholic, since the show real exorcists had a non denominational exorcist, and a protestant exorcist I think.

Is it just me, or is the topic of exorcism mostly a Catholic concept? Most Christians here are Protestant I think, what's your take on exorcisms...and demonic possession for that matter?
heh, the subject is either real or not, I don't think its a grand scheme played out by the catholics. I really wonder why we don't really ever see it here, I guess I'll take it as a good thing that I don't. I guess its not an important subject because Jesus never really taught on the subject. He just kind of cast out demons as He went. The catholics really do worry me though because they use "holy water" and crucifixes(sp?) which really isn't biblical. Jesus cast out by His God given authority. Theres a lot of unanswerable questions I have on the subject, but I guess I'll just have to wait on those...

Theres a lot of unanswerable questions I have on the subject, but I guess I'll just have to wait on those...

Might be a good idea to throw them out to see what kind of response, just remember the ToS when doing so.

Exorcisms are very real and indeed very scary. I don't think we see as many of them now because, quite frankly, the enemy just does not need to put forth as much effort.

In regards to watching this on TV, I thought there was a Bible verse that talked about putting ungodly things before you, but I can't seem to find it right now, so I will leave it alone

Gen

Satan is not a fool! He knows his game. If there were possessions and exorcisms happening left and right what would happen? A lot of people would begin looking for God because that is the only true protection from it.

Also, possession can be very subtle. There is not going to be flying spittle and spinning heads in every case.

We also have the problem of a lot of fake stuff going on.

Master~Plan said:
heh, the subject is either real or not, I don't think its a grand scheme played out by the catholics. I really wonder why we don't really ever see it here, I guess I'll take it as a good thing that I don't. I guess its not an important subject because Jesus never really taught on the subject. He just kind of cast out demons as He went. The catholics really do worry me though because they use "holy water" and crucifixes(sp?) which really isn't biblical. Jesus cast out by His God given authority. Theres a lot of unanswerable questions I have on the subject, but I guess I'll just have to wait on those...

Well Jesus did say that those who believed in him would be able to cast out demons (Mark 16:17).

What's wrong with holy water? Wasn't annointed oil used in the Bible? Sounds like the same thing to me. And why would Christ teach about crucifixes when he hadn't been crucified yet?

Just playing devils advocate :)

Let me tell you a short confusing story... Ive heard plenty of stories of demons possesing not only a house but not really in physical form... One story i heard was that these people moved into this house and there was a bottle of coke or some kind of soda then they heard something went and saw it and it was shaking then the top just blew off.... Then they prayed and had only a few problems Then the same house it is a dorm... there was a keyboard and the keys were being typed it printed and it was just weird gyberish It comes out in the end to be that the dorm was built over a grave yard... There are very scary things out there I heard a lot more but i dont care to try to remember them... At least i know im Protected... The reason we dont see it over here on modern civilization is because people are drawn away by other things like in japan they have the 5 C's Credit Card, Children, Condo, Cash... But over in asia and africa were civilization isnt as prominent the devil uses old school ways of putting the fear in people by using demons and evil spirits...

Well Jesus did say that those who believed in him would be able to cast out demons (Mark 16:17).
exactly

What's wrong with holy water? Wasn't annointed oil used in the Bible? Sounds like the same thing to me. And why would Christ teach about crucifixes when he hadn't been crucified yet?
The oil was symbolic to the context of the old covenant. We are no longer under the old covenant, it has been fulfilled. The crucifix, and baptizmal water are both neat ways to remember a new birth, and the sacrifice of God, but when it comes down to casting out demons, they are both inanimate objects. Only the authority of God can cast out demons. Because God lives inside of christians, we have been given the authority.

So you're saying that all Christians are impervious to demonic possession?

Christians are indwelt by the Holy Spirit. And since He fills us completely and is greater than any demon, we cannot be indwelt by a demon. Demonically influenced, now that is a completely different matter.

Gen

If u were taken over by a deamon but wern't christian the catholic church would never sign off on a exorcism. U have to be christian.

Gandhi said:
If u were taken over by a deamon but wern't christian the catholic church would never sign off on a exorcism. U have to be christian.

Where did you get this info? I have never seen a catholic list of requirements to be exorcised...

Genesis1315 said:
Christians are indwelt by the Holy Spirit. And since He fills us completely and is greater than any demon, we cannot be indwelt by a demon. Demonically influenced, now that is a completely different matter.

Gen

What's the difference between being demonically influenced and having a demon dwelling inside you?

How can you have one without the other?

Master~Plan said:
The oil was symbolic to the context of the old covenant. We are no longer under the old covenant, it has been fulfilled. The crucifix, and baptizmal water are both neat ways to remember a new birth, and the sacrifice of God, but when it comes down to casting out demons, they are both inanimate objects. Only the authority of God can cast out demons. Because God lives inside of christians, we have been given the authority.

From the Catholic encyclopedia:

The chief things formally exorcised in blessing are water, salt, oil, and these in turn are used in personal exorcisms, and in blessing or consecrating places (e.g. churches) and objects (e.g. altars, sacred vessels, church bells) connected with public worship, or intended for private devotion. Holy water, the sacramental with which the ordinary faithful are most familiar, is a mixture of exorcised water and exorcised salt; and in the prayer of blessing, God is besought to endow these material elements with a supernatural power of protecting those who use them with faith against all the attacks of the devil. This kind of indirect exorcism by means of exorcised objects is an extension of the original idea; but it introduces no new principle, and it has been used in the Church from the earliest ages.

^Thier lil definition had me up to the part where they say
God is besought to endow these material elements with a supernatural power of protecting those who use them with faith against all the attacks of the devil.
that can't be backed up by scripture. you can personally worship God however you want, but to say God especially blesses the ones who mix oil water and salt makes me cringe. Thats simple witchcraft pointion making 101 if you ask me...

Master~Plan said:
^Thier lil definition had me up to the part where they say
that can't be backed up by scripture. you can personally worship God however you want, but to say God especially blesses the ones who mix oil water and salt makes me cringe. Thats simple witchcraft pointion making 101 if you ask me...

I kinda sorta agree, but not completely.

Why?

Because they say, "God is besought to endow these material elements with a supernatural power of protecting those who use them with faith against all the attacks of the devil."

So without faith, they're useless.

On another note, I'd be interested to see how many people who claim to be demonically possessed were atheist.

Back