Evangelizing

Jango

Do you think evangelizing ( going door to door giving the Gospel to people. ) is a good thing?
I personally don't, even if they're unsaved, we shouldn't force our beliefs on them, especially not on their private property.
I think witnessing is a good thing, being an example ot other non-saved people, and your example may eventually lead people to ask why you act that way, and THEN you can tell them, but I feel just going door-to-door forcing your beliefs on other people is wrong.

Any thoughts?

I believe that if a nonbeliever is willing, God will come to him or her on his own. I find door to door evangelism insulting to whomever is being evangelized, for it has with it the implication that their beleifs are more correct than yours. If someone desires or needs a relationship with God, then he or she can seek it out themselves. That way the energy going into the action is wholesome and genuine.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] but I feel just going door-to-door forcing your beliefs on other people is wrong.

It shouldn't be "forcing" and not everybody is called to this type of evangalizing. Most are called to live their lifes as their primary witness tools. The difference between the two is:

1. In one method, it is your actions that causes the non-believer to question you.
2. In the other, it is your conversation that causes the non-beliver to question you.

Either way, you better be ready to give an answer.

Evangelism is a good thing and a bad thing, and it all depends on the person being "evangelized." A lot of times people handing out tracts are annoying. Most of the time people just humor the tract distributors because they feel pressured not to be rude. Other times though, people are searching for a truth but don't know where to look. I try to evangelize only to people I know. That way I avoid annoying people. It is my position that Christians who don't know any non-Christians should try to meet some. We're supposed to be the salt of the earth, and we have to season the dish, not the seasoning. Hanging exclusively around Christians is not a good way to find people to save from damnation.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Hanging exclusively around Christians is not a good way to find people to save from damnation.
I don't believe in a place of eternal torment, and I think it is terribly selfish to be friends with unsaved just to try to convert them.

I think, that you need to know WHEN is the right time to bring up the subject. I think that walking door-to-door is NOT the way to to so. Reasons:
1. It annoys most of the people
2. It turns them off to FUTURE chrisitians
3. Makes them think "WE" are "closed minded, eccentric, and just other weird things"

Not that this is bad, but it is NOT the right thing... I mean it isn't like wrong wrong but it probably does more harm than good...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Jango @ Dec. 13 2004,9:02)]I don't believe in a place of eternal torment, and I think it is terribly selfish to be friends with unsaved just to try to convert them.

[edit] Oi! I have been forced to work around an overzealous swear filter here, so all references to the alternative to heaven are "(heck)". And yet it still didn't filter the first four letters of damnation. Grr.[/edit]

Then in your case it would be "terribly selfish." I, however, do believe in (heck). So in my case it wouldn't be "terribly selfish." It would be a loving action. Just don't turn your back on them if you do convert them-- that would be cruel.

As an aside, if you'd like to discuss and debate the existence of (heck), and you're a Christian, start a thread. I place the Christian requirement on my statement because I would have little foundation upon which to discuss the existence of (heck) if you do not even accept the existence of God as a given statement, much less the Christian God.

Ok, I think he-ll should be uncensorized......

rock.gif

First let me say that I agree completely with what Gods_Peon posted. Not everyone is called to go door to door. To be honest I haven’t gone door to door, but if God calls a person to this, it can’t be wrong.

Many people may say that they don’t believe in going out and sharing the Gospel or that they will only go to people they know. Many times this is our way of staying in our “comfort zone”. We don’t like to get out and do those things that we haven’t done before or are uncomfortable doing. Remember that the Bible says in Mark 16:15: “He said to them, Go into all the world and preach the good news to all creation“(NIV). To me, this is a mandate to actively go to the unbeliever and share our Savior with them, not wait for them to come to us.

In our daily walk with Jesus, each of us must be open to be lead by the Holy Spirit to whatever ministry he wants us to perform. Some of us are called to be active in our church’s youth programs, to teach Sunday School or to visit the elderly or sick. What matters is that we do what God calls us to do.

If people want to think that I’m “closed minded, eccentric, and just other weird things", that’s ok. That’s ok because I am, at the very least, closed minded. I believe in a place of eternal damnation (Revelation 20:15). And I believe that Jesus’ way is not only a better way, it’s the only way (John 14:6).

Sorry if I got a little long winded or a bit off topic.

Just one parting thought:

John 16:33; “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”

door to door is annoying but missionary work is evangelizing because the people there going to are people that never heard Jesus period

My quote isn't working but in response to:

"door to door is annoying but missionary work is evangelizing because the people there going to are people that never heard Jesus period"

I will just say that 3 doors down from me are 2 children about 6-9 years old that have never heard of Jesus before someone went to them. Please don't assume that just because someone lives in the U.S. that they have heard about Jesus.

If someone is called by God to go door to door to sew the seed, who are we to say it is wrong? Are we to say not to have the 10 commandments in a public place because some are annoyed or offended? Or should you not wear a cross around you neck because some might be offended?

The point is whether or not you or someone else is annoyed or not doesn't matter if what that person is doing is God's will for them.

Unless someone can show me in scripture that it is wrong to go door to door, I will not concede this point based only on it being annoying.

Here is another thought /question/ about evangalizing:

Who is it easier to talk to about Jesus, a non-beleiving friend or stranger?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Gods_Peon @ Dec. 14 2004,10:44)]Here is another thought /question/ about evangalizing:

Who is it easier to talk to about Jesus, a non-beleiving friend or stranger?
Hmm... Well if I were a believer, methinks I would say friend. I talk about religion with my friends all the time.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] if I were a believer

Then you really don't know. Not to be mean, but you don't have a point of reference. It would be like a $30,000 / year employee who has never been a millionaire, trying to answer questions about issues that uniquely happen to those who make millions / year. Or asking a mortal what imortality is like.

Well I was a believer for quite a while earlier in my life, and I discussed religion with my friends then as well. I assume you are going for the 'stranger' angle?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ([toj.cc]hescominsoon @ Dec. 13 2004,10:10)]Saying you believe in #### is ok in the context you wre going to use it kraniac..#### is a place mentioned in the bible.  As long as the term is used in that reference there is not a problem.
I know it's ok to use in that context. That is why I was annoyed at the filter. If we start a thread on the existence of he*l, we need to get it uncensored.

"He said to them, 'Go into all the world and proclaim the gospel to the whole creation. '" (Mark 16:15)

There can be no question that proclaiming the Gospel was commanded by Jesus.

Now does this mean that everyone has to go to some third-world to do it? No. It does however mean that every Christian has an obligation (and it should be a joyous one) to share the wonderful truth of Jesus to everyone who will listen.

Now I am not saying we are to beat everyone with a Bible until they are a bag of goo. It means don't pass up an opportunity (and if you are willing, the Holy Spirit will throw it in your path, trust me).

What is passing up an opportunity you ask? It is "I don't want to share Jesus because I don't want to offend anyone or look crazy". Not only is that offensive to God, but let's not forget this bit of scripture:

Jesus Speaking
"For whoever is ashamed of me and of my words, of him will the Son of Man be ashamed when he comes in his glory and the glory of the Father and of the holy angels. " (Luke 9:26)

Not wanting to offend someone and being ashamed are two separate things. Offending someone with the Gospel is counterproductive to Christianity. I certainly don't hold the position that Christians should never witness, but I've seen so many people disillusioned with religion altogether because of the well-meaning acts of would-be evangelists.

So definitely witness, just exercise caution that you don't do more harm than good.

Obedience is better than sacrifice. I Samuel 15:22

While God commanded us to preach the gospel, He also gave a precious promise:

Let him know, that he which converteth the sinner from the error of his way shall save a soul from death, and shall hide a multitude of sins. James 5:20

I believe we should be witnesses for Christ at all times, even door to door! The best teaching I have received on evangelizing is to always remember, some are to plant, some water, and some will reap the harvest by seeing souls saved. I think when we do see someone saved, we are reaping where others have been. This makes it of utmost importance to not offend wherever/however it may be that we witness for Christ. A soul won is the only thing here on earth that we can take to Heaven with us!

Back