Emotional Responses to Scripture...

However, if the IFB churches trace their roots to the Anabaptists (i.e the so-called radical reformation) then they are most definitely Protestant churches. This is not a negative thing. It just is. It does not mean that the IFB does not have roots in the early church. I would argue that any "church" that does not trace its theological roots to the early church has some serious problems and needs to reevaluate itself. I will not saying that what you state is "bad," but from a historical perspective I must disagree. Please do not take anything here as an offense to you, because it is not meant that way.

This.

Two points, real quick:

1. I love talking church history and polity as much as the next guy...BUT...the name of this forum is "What Does God Say about..." not "What Do We Think about..." With that in mind, I'd offer this passage:

I appeal to you, brothers, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that all of you agree with one another so that there may be no divisions among you and that you may be perfectly united in mind and thought. My brothers, some from Chloe's household have informed me that there are quarrels among you. What I mean is this: One of you says, "I follow Paul"; another, "I follow Apollos"; another, "I follow Cephas"; still another, "I follow Christ." Is Christ divided? Was Paul crucified for you? Were you baptized into the name of Paul? I am thankful that I did not baptize any of you except Crispus and Gaius, so no one can say that you were baptized into my name. (Yes, I also baptized the household of Stephanas; beyond that, I don't remember if I baptized anyone else.) For Christ did not send me to baptize, but to preach the gospel--not with words of human wisdom, lest the cross of Christ be emptied of its power. 1 Corinthians 1:10-17 (NIV)

All the talk is interesting until it causes hostility and quarrels. Then, that's enough.

2. The title of this thread is, "What does God have to say about...emotional responses to Scripture." We are way off topic here, although we have seen "emotional responses to church history." I'd suggest either going back to the topic or starting another thread somewhere other than, "What Does God Say about..."

You really are welcome to continue your discussion in another thread or via PM.

Two points, real quick:

1. I love talking church history and polity as much as the next guy...BUT...the name of this forum is "What Does God Say about..." not "What Do We Think about..." With that in mind, I'd offer this passage:

I appeal to you, brothers, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that all of you agree with one another so that there may be no divisions among you and that you may be perfectly united in mind and thought. My brothers, some from Chloe's household have informed me that there are quarrels among you. What I mean is this: One of you says, "I follow Paul"; another, "I follow Apollos"; another, "I follow Cephas"; still another, "I follow Christ." Is Christ divided? Was Paul crucified for you? Were you baptized into the name of Paul? I am thankful that I did not baptize any of you except Crispus and Gaius, so no one can say that you were baptized into my name. (Yes, I also baptized the household of Stephanas; beyond that, I don't remember if I baptized anyone else.) For Christ did not send me to baptize, but to preach the gospel--not with words of human wisdom, lest the cross of Christ be emptied of its power. 1 Corinthians 1:10-17 (NIV)

All the talk is interesting until it causes hostility and quarrels. Then, that's enough.

2. The title of this thread is, "What does God have to say about...emotional responses to Scripture." We are way off topic here, although we have seen "emotional responses to church history." I'd suggest either going back to the topic or starting another thread somewhere other than, "What Does God Say about..."

I don't think church History is a matter of opinion, it's history. It's not what anyone thinks about anything, it just is what it is.

While I have yet to see these emotional responses to church history that you speak of, I will freely admit that people have a tendency to impart their own emotions upon the written word. It is highly probably that, while I have neither offered emotions nor seen them to any great extent in what has been written so far, others may. With that in mind and acknowledging that we have taken this thread off topic, this will be my last post in this thread.

So to apeal to my thinking I went through some of the known churches that carried through the ages and all the ones I found call themselves Protestent. To add to that, I find it extreamly hard to think that an American Christian could say they are not protestent considering the very founders of this country we just that and American Christianity is so influanced by that. In fact I would say that unless you were not from Europe desent you would be hard pressed to claim this at all.

For instance:
There is documentation that the Apostles Thaddeus and Bartholomew introduce Christianity to Armenia between 48-49 AD, yet they call themselves Protestent.

My apologies Abba. I agree with Wolfeman that I don't think anyone was getting emotionally charged. However, we definitely were off topic. From here on out I will make my best effort to remain on topic in these threads.

Now that I have said that, I should probably make an on topic addition to this thread. I am working for the belief that Scripture is our authority. I think that Paul (I timothy 3:16), Peter (II Peter 3:15-16), and John (Revelation 22:18-19) make this quite clear in their epistles.

As for emotions, they are now the necessarily good or bad, but they do not trump Scripture. Emotions are part of how God made us. I would also argue that they are part of the image of God which He has imparted in us. Though God may not have emotions in quite the way we do (i.e. He does not change, Malachi 3:6), the purest and holiest forms of these emotions are characteristics of God. For instance, God is love (I John 4:8) and expresses compassion (Lamentations 3:22), joy (Hebrews 12:2), and anger (Deuteronomy 32:22), among others. But again, these are expressed, actively, within His unchanging character.

So where does that leave emotions for us? They are good, but like everything, are also corrupted by sin. They can be useful and are usually healthy, but can also be destructive to us and others. By no means should we reject them, but they are not our standard. Rather, Scripture is the standard.

Back