Elder Scrolls Online

Odale

Is anyone planning on playing this? I know I was interested for a while.

What appear to be the pros:
  1. ESO is being led by Matt Firor (who helps DAoC). So it should have good PvP.
  2. It's an Elder Scrolls game.
  3. Other things that I have forgotten...

Input! Go! :D

Last edited:
Yes, I am planning on playing. And its really coming along nicely. My NDA won't let me post details, but yes, I think it will be really good.

I had talked to Tek7 about getting a guild started, but the response has been surprisingly pretty minimal from CGA/ToJ.

Last edited:
Yes, I am planning on playing. And its really coming along nicely. My NDA won't let me post details, but yes, I think it will be really good.

I had talked to Tek7 about getting a guild started, but the response has been surprisingly pretty minimal from CGA/ToJ.
I refuse to pay a subscription for a game. I love Skyrim, but I think a large part of that is because it is designed to be a single-player game. I move at my own pace and can choose what I want to do or become. I don't have to team with anyone to beat a mission. And I feel unique in the world (as opposed to every MMO in existence). Plus, it offers the advantage of being able to save in the middle of a fight and come back later to finish it (which is huge for me since I rarely play without distractions).

If (realistically more of a question of 'when') it goes Free-To-Play then I will probably give it a try, but my expectations are exceedingly low.

I feel that F2P, or rather PIP (Payment Influenced Play) is reducing the overall quality of games.

The less PIP, the better the industry and the experience.

I agree disagree. While I don't like f2p anymore and prefer a subscription on MMOs, I am not sure the quality is going down. It is the price is going up to enjoy the game to its fullest. While I can play FFXIV for $13 a month and experience 100% of the content. To do the same in a game like NWO would cost me upwards of $50 a month. Both are quality games but the f2p system ends up costing you way more to get the full experience.

Unfortunately my beta experience left me with little desire to play the game again. The whole "mouse over every chest/bottle/bucket to see if it has loot" and then there being 100s of them in a tiny gated map really grated on my nerves.

Unfortunately my beta experience left me with little desire to play the game again. The whole "mouse over every chest/bottle/bucket to see if it has loot" and then there being 100s of them in a tiny gated map really grated on my nerves.

Wait, you mean like all the other TES games? ;)

I think many people have the notion that a subscription-based MMO has to have several million subscribers to turn a profit. I don't know; maybe modern MMO development costs validate that notion. But I know that Dark Age of Camelot remains a niche game with a much smaller subscriber base. If DAoC wasn't profitable, I highly doubt it would still be around.

I've also read countless times that the botched launch of SWTOR signaled the end of subscription-based games. I don't think it's fair to call a previously successful monetization model dead because of one high-cost and highly visible failure. Based on what I've read, SWTOR bounced back after going free-to-play, but I can't help but wonder if there wouldn't have been any need to do so if the launch had gone more smoothly and if BioWare had addressed pressing concerns more quickly.

In short: I don't think the subscription model is dead. I just think a game is going to have to be really, really good to convince people to spend ~$15 a month to keep playing it. Could ESO be that good? I don't know. Time will tell.

I have a friend who is playing the beta and... he hasn't told me anything! ... it bothers me.

The limited videos of the game play of ESO looked like a very crude (UI, apparent character control) and very simplistic multiplayer version of any game Bethesda made in the not-too-distant past - take your pick. Of course the game will look pretty, but other than that, I am unsure of its polish.

In regards to the subscription type, I also would prefer to pay a set rate per month (maybe not $15, perhaps more like $7 or so) and not have to play a game feeling as though I had been sold an incomplete product and now must spend more money to be able to play the game how it was meant to be played (more bag slots, more character slots, more gold in some cases... NWO). Even though Guild Wars 2 was a great game by most standards, I never liked having such a limited bank/spaces for bags.

Anyway, I am unsure if I will play ESO (and not solely because of this thread) - I'm leaning towards no. There's another MMO that's coming out soon (WildStar) that I am far more interested in.

Well, while I cannot post any details, I can say the "polish" is coming along nicely. And we're still six months away from release. Plenty of time for more 'polish' and 'extras'.

ESO also welcomes modders to add whatever custom UI they want. I expect ESO to be like WoW in that regard (with an entire modding community making all kinds of add-on features that can be added to individual desire and preference). Character control: No word yet on whether ZOS will add Xbox 360 controls to the PC/Mac version or if that would be an 'add-on' by third party software.

The game definitely leans more towards the skill-based combat. No more "select target, stay locked on target, and auto fire". Like ZOS has already shown and talked about in interviews, you have to target an opponent on your own (aim) and you have to actually press something to attack (no auto attack). So combat is going to be a little more difficult for the gamers who are used to more simplistic games. And worse for PvP, when an opponent stands in front of you, you have no idea (just from appearance) what you are facing since everyone can wear any armor and carry any weapon. Players are going to have to "react" instead of predicting what's about to happen, going through a standard rotation, and know ahead of time what your opponent is going to do and how to counter it.

I'm a GW2 fan, but compared to what I've seen so far, ESO looks more "advanced". So far.... (and yes, there are some GW2 features I wish they would include in ESO, but I can't really go into detail about things that have not been revealed yet).

I think many people have the notion that a subscription-based MMO has to have several million subscribers to turn a profit. I don't know; maybe modern MMO development costs validate that notion. But I know that Dark Age of Camelot remains a niche game with a much smaller subscriber base. If DAoC wasn't profitable, I highly doubt it would still be around.

I've also read countless times that the botched launch of SWTOR signaled the end of subscription-based games. I don't think it's fair to call a previously successful monetization model dead because of one high-cost and highly visible failure. Based on what I've read, SWTOR bounced back after going free-to-play, but I can't help but wonder if there wouldn't have been any need to do so if the launch had gone more smoothly and if BioWare had addressed pressing concerns more quickly.

In short: I don't think the subscription model is dead. I just think a game is going to have to be really, really good to convince people to spend ~$15 a month to keep playing it. Could ESO be that good? I don't know. Time will tell.

my opinion is that EA killed SWTOR. I was following the updates and any new information during the development process, then when it was announced that EA bought BioWare and started making changes, I became discouraged and lost interest. ESO on the other hand, a subscription is probably more preferable to me now after playing GW2 and buying too many gems, and now I've stopped playing GW2 because it has no end game and no real reason to play wvw or any other aspect of the game. Nothing in that game has an "end" or a sense of accomplishment. It's just a continuous circle. If ESO has good end game and can give me a better reason than "have fun for a couple months," then I don't think I'll play. Don't plan on playing until 6-18months after launch anyways, so I'll just sit back and watch the occasional ShoddyCast gameplay video.

20GB is a rather large download, but I let it run last night while I was doing other things. The client is now installed and ready to play.

Of course, I have other games I may be playing this weekend. :D

Last edited:
3 days is not worth the time to download.

Not even sure what to say to this...

Start it before you go to bed, it's finished in the morning = about 10 seconds of my time taken up. And then it's downloaded for the rest of the betas between now and launch.

Haha I don't think they are serious but being sarcastic because they have heard much negative reviews from friends and whatnot.

Not even sure what to say to this...

Start it before you go to bed, it's finished in the morning = about 10 seconds of my time taken up. And then it's downloaded for the rest of the betas between now and launch.
Sure, I could do that. But then I fill up 20 more GB of my computer with a game I get to play 5-10 hours of at the most over 3 days. My registry takes another hit and ultimately I end up having to delete it (which any administrator knows does not remove everything from the registry - thus cluttering it up more - It's kinda like government in that way).

Either way, when the game is released my 'no subscription' policy means I wouldn't be playing it on an ongoing basis. While I am curious about the game (having played the last 3 Elder Scrolls games) it just isn't going to work out.

Back