DSL question,

Atown

Christian Gamers Alliance Amazon Store Manager
Staff member
Ok so im getting dropped internet like 6-8 times a day with my new high speed verizon dsl 3mb package /sarcasm , and its really freaking annoying. i'll get dropped periods of 3min-10minutes and i cant even play counter-strike 1.6 with the poor connectivity im getting.

So i called verizon and their like - the modem shouldt be on 24/7, that should solve the problem. and that really sounds retarded but i figured someone could either validate the statement or know of a solution. Im not using the modem they sent me but a modem a friend gave me that is a westell 6100 that runs just fine through my linksys. I received no difference in service with the newer one they sent me so i figured i'll just use the 6100 since its easier to work with my linksys.

help?

agreed with vibro. You have to put dsl filters on every phone/fax/etc etc that is hooked to your phone line or you'll have issues.

If you have a router in the equation, the problem could (in theory) be with the router.

I'd recommend finding the IP address of the cable modem (it was 192.168.100.1 on my old network configuration) and then set constant pings running to the modem and to the router.

How to set a constant ping to your router in XP:
  1. Click Start button
  2. Click Run
  3. Type "cmd" (without quotes) and hit Enter
  4. At the prompt, type "ping 192.168.1.1 -t" (without quotes) and hit Enter

Those instructions assume your router's IP address is 192.168.1.1.

You'll need to open up a separate prompt window for a second constant ping.

When your connection drops, check both windows. If just the modem is failing, it's likely an issue with the modem or the service provider. If the router's failing, it's likely an issue with the router.

agreed with vibro. You have to put dsl filters on every phone/fax/etc etc that is hooked to your phone line or you'll have issues.

yeah i have a line filter on the only phone in the house. and i'll have to try ur idea tek, it actually sounds kinda cool.

edit: im running a constant ping from the router to the modem and then used cmd to run a constant ping to my router. so we'll see what happens

Last edited:
If you stand on your head and pivot your legs around in a circular motion; it tends to reduce the likelihood of the modem disconnecting.

the only way a router is going to cause issues is if hte dsl modem IS a router as well. If you are using a router then call up verizon on how to setup your modem into bridge mode. Then you use pppoe in your router to handle the connection stuff..that usually solves any issues.

here's how to put your 6100 into bridge mode. then you need to configure your other router you want to use as pppoe.

http://www.lava.net/support/Westell_6100_DSL_Modem_Installation_Guide

ok by the looks of it i did everything correctly except for the "routed" bridge option and we'll see if thats sthe problem. now on the ping to the router, every third or 4th ping took 100ms vs 3ms. and there were no issues with the router pinging to the modem or messed up or invalid pings.

edit: changed the settings, we'll wait for a disconnect but my router its ping at a rate of 107-8 a heck of alot more now....

Last edited:
ok by the looks of it i did everything correctly except for the "routed" bridge option and we'll see if thats sthe problem. now on the ping to the router, every third or 4th ping took 100ms vs 3ms. and there were no issues with the router pinging to the modem or messed up or invalid pings.

edit: changed the settings, we'll wait for a disconnect but my router its ping at a rate of 107-8 a heck of alot more now....

weird. Pinging my router takes 1-3ms, and that is over a wireless connection.

weird. Pinging my router takes 1-3ms, and that is over a wireless connection.

yup disconnected again, i have another linksys so i'll try that and see if its a problem with the routers

well if its pinging fine from the modem to the router, but taking forever from my wired pc to my router, that doesnt make sense to mez. i'll try the other verizon modem though again and test the other linksys router to check all my bases.

well if its pinging fine from the modem to the router, but taking forever from my wired pc to my router, that doesnt make sense to mez. i'll try the other verizon modem though again and test the other linksys router to check all my bases.

You may want to check the settings on the wired machine. Certain LAN cards have issues with other machines on the same switch. My cheapo VIA chipset box didn't like being on the same switch as my Nforce based machine. I had to mess around with the settings on the VIA box to get them to play nice together. It was weird as they would knock each other off and nearly 100% packet loss on any large packets (pings and traceroutes worked fine though).

i highly doubt it's your linksys routers..it's either your dsl modem or your phone lines.

ok what's dropping the wireless connection from your router or the dsl connection? If it's the wireless make sure your cordless phones are not 2.4 ghz(they probably are). Also older microwaves operate on 2.4ghz as well. Their shielding wasn't all that great and they leaked a bit. Anything that runs on the 2.4ghz band will interfere with your wireless and cause your issues.

If you have phone service and not naked dsl, check sound of dial tone for static scratchy audio and if so means a line problem. If solid tone it's more then likely modem to close to interference like speakers, monitor, pwr backup, cpu and phone line paralleling an ac pwr cord for more then two inches. Router should be power cord length away from static noise. Isolate modem first before panic.

i checked the phone and it had a solid tone

DSCN0158.jpg

DSCN0159.jpg

heres my setup currently, excluding my dads wireless pc, my laptop, and my moms laptop in other rooms. btw, the drops are to my hardwired machines too.

in the first image my router is on top of the laser jet 5m and the middle device on the floor is the newer modem and the smaller device on the right is the westell 6100. the phone line is only 3feet above the laserjet 5m. i dont have any speakers or other stuff

Right, because this will clear the inverse flux in the modem's capacitor. And also clear out the bit bucket.

You can also try submerging it in holy water. Unplug it first, though.... I won't be making THAT mistake again!

If you stand on your head and pivot your legs around in a circular motion; it tends to reduce the likelihood of the modem disconnecting.

Personally, I don't believe Verizon. I have 5Mbps DSL here in Iowa with a local service provider and I don't have filters on my phones, or anything extra besides a modem for the dsl. I know the techs in my area quite well, and my DSL runs 24/7 with no problems.

Now just a random question but does the lights on the modem stop flashing/lighting when you have the outage? If not try running a program like Network Magic to monitor you network. The trial is free and I use it on all my networks that I install, as it makes all windows computers communicate with each other so easily. I've had network droppes that Network Magic was able to fix them automatically with out me doing more then just clicking a button. Just a thought though.

Personally, I don't believe Verizon. I have 5Mbps DSL here in Iowa with a local service provider and I don't have filters on my phones, or anything extra besides a modem for the dsl. I know the techs in my area quite well, and my DSL runs 24/7 with no problems.

Now just a random question but does the lights on the modem stop flashing/lighting when you have the outage? If not try running a program like Network Magic to monitor you network. The trial is free and I use it on all my networks that I install, as it makes all windows computers communicate with each other so easily. I've had network droppes that Network Magic was able to fix them automatically with out me doing more then just clicking a button. Just a thought though.
your dsl provider may use different frequencies but i assure you for verizon you have to have the filters or you will have dsl issues.

Back