Dika needs help computer shopping

Dikaiosune

I am in the market for a new computer. I need help choosing between a few that I have picked out from various companies. I do not need personal biases and horror stories about certain computer companies; rather I am looking for an analysis of the components.

My goals:
I want to play W.o.W on ultra! Enough said...
I want my computer to be a higher end computer that will remain as such for the next few years.

Here are the computers I have been looking at:

Del:
http://configure.us.dell.com/dellst...=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&model_id=studio-xps-9100

I am considering upgrading the video card for an extra $100 dollars here.

HP:
http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/s...prodexp/hhoslp/psg/desktops/Intel/h8xt_series

Acer Bio included:
AG3600-U4082u
Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium - 64-bit version - 2nd Generation Intel® Core™ i5-2300
processor 2.8GHz with Turbo Boost 2.0 technology up to 3.1GHz - 8GB DDR3 Dual-Channel memory
- 1.5TB hard drive w/ hard drive expansion bay - NVIDIA® GeForce® GT420 Graphics with 1GB of
discrete video memory - NVIDIA® 3D Vision™ ready - Intel® H67 Express chipset - 16X DVD±RW
DL - high-definition audio support - gigabit LAN - HDMI® - USB - USB keyboard and optical mouse -
Multi-in-1 card reader - 1-year limited warranty
Part Number PT.SFC02.036
USD 899.99

Gateway:
http://us.gateway.com/gw/en/US/content/models/fx-series

All of these computers have other models for $100-$200 dollars cheaper, but I am scared of loosing performance so I choose the higher priced model. I want to go cheaper, but I lack the knowledge of computers to do so.

Thanks for your help!

Before I moved there was a nice store that would price match with Newegg. It was a dangerous place for me to be...

If I go to newegg.com I will still have the same problem, namely, that I don't know computers (motherboards, processors, graphics cards) well enough to make an informed choice.
I listed the computers I was interested in because their companies claim they contain top quality components and were made especially for competitive gaming. Why do I have any reason to doubt them, then. Maybe I'll just choose one of the four on my own...

I would pick Dell over the other companies.
I would skip the i7 and get an i5. The i7 will do nothing for games at all.
I would spend the saved money on a really good video card. (at least 1gb but more is better) Dell carries the ati 6770 and the nvidia gtx560ti which are both solid choices.

If you go with a known company (HP, Dell, ect) you will spend more money for less power. It may be easier but you wont' get as much as you could otherwise.

Give us an idea of how much you want to spend, what's important to you, what you do with your computer and what you want to do ect and we'll see what we can work up for you on Newegg and other places.

Do you mind an open box or recertified items?
What kind of time frame are you looking at?

Wait, you are in so cal? Where about? Im in san diego. Maybe we can get together and build you one from scratch. It's what I do for a living.

since this thread is alive i figure id toss my questions in. I love my mac to death but games do not. SO i wanna build a tower. The biggest issue is i don't know what the heck im doing! All i know is i really love the i processors. I'm thinking of spending around a $700-1200(ish). If ya'll could give a site to read up stuff on or suggestions or heck even a tower you suggest that would be wonderful!

(sorry not trying to hijack the post)
But honestly i'd rather just buy it put together one of my friends suggested ibuypower to build one on there but then again i have NO idea what is going on with the motherboard and all that jazz.

My price range is between $400 and $750 dollars.
What I want most is for this computer to run high demanding games smoothly.
You mentioned that intel i7 is unnecessary so I found myself downgrading and this is what I came up with:
http://configure.us.dell.com/dellst...&c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&model_id=inspiron-620s

My thoughts:
Dell does not let me upgrade the video card on this model, but it is a 1 GB card.
This computer is reasonably priced!

Ewoksrule, I like in Irvine California which is an hours drive away from San Diego, so maybe exchanging phone numbers would be easier.

My first computer was custom built by my older brother and has lasted almost ten years! It still runs great but it is growing increasingly outdated.

I am defiantly open to having another custom built computer if you can help me put it together. Otherwise I can read your link and try and build one myself, and then send you guys a link to my creation!

Thanks.

You can get a nice budget gaming rig for $750 and it will have way more quality parts inside. With any name brand PC there will be a lot of cheap parts to make a profit.

Try putting together a build and post the links here. Maybe the guys watching this thread can help list some recommended builds at that price range. I will put a build together as well, just a tad busy these past few days.

I will PM you my phone and/or we could hop in TeamSpeak one night this week if you want and go over a final part list. When the parts arrive we can arrange a meeting. Best might be if you can drive down for a Friday or Sat morning. Then we can build it in my home office which has all the tools and things we might need to test it and make sure its good to go. Feel free to bring a friend if you want to check out the coast while here.

Do you need everything?

Keyboard, Mouse, HDD, Monitor, DVD-Rom... ect? Some parts can be reused and save a bit of cash... The monitor is the big hitter... a good one can cost you up to $400.

Do you have a case that can be reused? My son has my old case from the 90's... Industry standards are a good thing.

Do you have a copy of Windows 7 64bit for this new PC?

Last edited:
Here are the parts.

Cart Item List:

Qty. Product Description Savings Total Price

MSI GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) N560GTX-Ti Hawk Video Card
Item #:N82E16814127578
Return Policy: VGA Standard Return Policy
$264.99
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory
Item #:N82E16820231428
Return Policy: Memory Standard Return Policy
$49.99
Kingston 4GB Micro SDHC Flash Card
Item #:N82E16820134527
Return Policy: Standard Return Policy
$6.49
Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor
Item #:N82E16819115072
Return Policy: CPU Replacement Only Return Policy
$219.99
LG Black Super Multi SATA WH12LS30 LightScribe Support
Item #:N82E16827136226
$79.99
Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
Item #:N82E16822136284
$119.99
Corsair Special Edition White Graphite Series 600T Computer Case With Side Panel Window
Item #:N82E16811139005
$179.99
$169.99
XFX Core Edition PRO550W (P1-550S-XXB9) 550W Power Supply
Item #:N82E16817207013
$69.99
MSI P67A-GD65 (B3) ATX Intel Motherboard
Item #:N82E16813130574
$179.99
$159.99

Grand Total: $1,134.92

I do not have a copy of windows 7 64bit and my case is beat up (I dropped it when moving to college).

Last edited:
Back