DC Comics or Marvel Comics?

DC Comics or Marvel Comics?

• DC Comics

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Marvel Comics

Votes: 8 80.0%

• Total voters

Logos

Okay so I am big comic fanboy, and I am wondering what most of you all enjoy the most. Both DC and Marvel seem to be doing some big things this year in their series...like DC's "new 52", and Marvel's building to the big AvsX crossover...anyways, I have always been a big Marvel fan, but it just seems that DC's comics are a bit more self contained these days, and that is what I enjoy in a good story is one where I can pick a comic up and know kinda where the story is at. Otherwise, I am finding with Marvel there seems to be a big ordeal of needing to read quite a few different series before understanding where the story has been or is going...while DC's New 52 seem to be self contained...

I've been a Marvel fan since the early 80s and never really got into DC. I stopped collecting in the mid-90s due to bad stories, killing off then resurrecting superheroes, and increased prices. Half of my comic collection was stolen then gave away the rest save a few. I've thought about just reading compilations as I have no desire to get back into comic reading.

I've been a Marvel fan since the early 80s and never really got into DC. I stopped collecting in the mid-90s due to bad stories, killing off then resurrecting superheroes, and increased prices. Half of my comic collection was stolen then gave away the rest save a few. I've thought about just reading compilations as I have no desire to get back into comic reading.

same (Marvel fan). I sold all comics in my very early 20s in a garage sale. Stupid mistake. My son is totally into comics (Tintin) and I wish I would have saved my Marvel and Dark Horse comics.

I've been a Marvel fan since the early 80s and never really got into DC. I stopped collecting in the mid-90s due to bad stories, killing off then resurrecting superheroes, and increased prices.
This. A thousand times this.

When Chris Claremont left Marvel, my interest in reading X-Men followed shortly after. I don't think I ever felt like I "outgrew" comics, but stopped because I lost interest in the story.

Now that I'm older, the main thing keeping me from going back is the price. I can read scanlated unlicensed manga and watch fansubbed unlicensed anime, so I don't really have much incentive to drop $2.00 or whatever the price is now per issue. I may look at some sort of digital subscription when I get a tablet PC, but even then, part of the enjoyment of comics is collecting and the digital versions can't match the print copies in that regard.

This. A thousand times this.

Add to that gimmicky foil covers, "#0" issues, "½" issues, hologram issues, gold issues, mass-produced ashcans, dopplegangers, ugh.

The 70's and 80's were GREAT times to be reading and collecting MARVEL comics. Great indie titles back then too. Batman was pretty good for a DC book. ;]

Last edited:
I was a big "Image" fan from when they launched till they died. I stop following most of the guys after they started splitting off to random groups.

DC for me. I never got into Marvel because all my favorite writers and artists ended up at DC. My library of comics mainly contains Batman, Dr. Midnight, and anything related to Jack Kirby's Fourth World/New Gods/New Genesis vs. Apokolips.

Ok been reading Marvel and DC since way before your time. Marvel was a good change of pace from the then current set pieces in DC. Yes DC was self contained, but the set formula in the early sixties got old in a hurry. The few indies from then weren't too bad, but were obviously struggling. Then I found an origin issue of Spider Man and the Avengers and things got better for Marvel. I have lost a large number of comics in multiple moves over the years, and really wish I had my late 50's early 60's stuff still.

Where is the Indie comics poll option? They're the guys with all the story/production talent nowdays. At least, the only things I still collect are the Atomic Robo comic series and Dreamkeepers graphic novels. (I <3 Atomic Robo)

Why choose? :p

My favorite characters are predominantly Marvel, but I'm very much hooked on the New 52's Action Comics and Justice League Dark. Still, I go wherever Bendis goes. <3

Ditto with on Tek and SKLURB. I lingered far too long though and have a pile of comics I've never read or want to. Seriously Marvel your plot lines got so bad you included a fold out timeline explanation in the cover of each X-Men /facepalm.

Oh yes while I am here I'll get this out of my brain. I said this a while back...

I'll still wondering why they felt it necessary to make Nick Fury black...

...then...

If Marvel really wanted to be PC (which is more than likely the motivation for the Fury change) they should add more Hispanics.

...and go figure a week or so after I said that I heard they were making a Spiderman have Hispanic/black origins can you say pandering Marvel? Lest I sound like a bigot I have no problem with ethnic superheroes but this is just stupid. Can't Marvel create a new ethnic superhero and have him rise to fame on his own merits (they can't because they can't write anymore) rather than ride the popularity of an existing character and no I don't care if it's just in "Ultimate" the pandering stands. For extra fun and to prove my point of their mindset here is this little snippet...

Italian artist Sara Pichelli, who was integral in designing the new Spider-Man's look, says, "Maybe sooner or later a black or gay — or both — hero will be considered something absolutely normal."

I could not enjoy reading, playing or watching something having to ignore morality. I want to feel good about the resolutions in it not have to continually stare at the ceiling and hum.

Last edited:
The Mighty Gerbil - yeah I can definitely relate to ALL of those frustrations...also the whole different timeline sequences are so confusing it isn't even funny. I gotta say DC isn't that BAD when it comes to time lines. I find it amusing though that Marvel seems to be winning in the poll...

My vote for Marvel predates the current silliness, and pc crazyness. Do any of you have a copy of, or have read the original when War Machine first came out. Or have read when they first thawed out Captain America?

My vote for Marvel predates the current silliness, and pc crazyness. Do any of you have a copy of, or have read the original when War Machine first came out. Or have read when they first thawed out Captain America?

No :( .

Last edited:
I may look at some sort of digital subscription when I get a tablet PC, but even then, part of the enjoyment of comics is collecting and the digital versions can't match the print copies in that regard.

Digital subscription? Can you provide a link? I have an Android tablet pc, downloaded the Marvel app but I can't find anywhere for a digital sub. They want $1.99 to read one comic and I want to re-read comics from the 80s. I've grown out of actually collecting comics.

Digital subscription? Can you provide a link?
I believe I read where Kendrik mentioned something of the sort, but I have no experience or direct knowledge of digital comics subscriptions myself. Sorry. :(

DC and Marvel are different, so it is hard to choose one over the other.
But I do tend to veer towards DC. Simply because they have the most iconic characters and cities; Batman / Gotham, Superman / Metropolis.

Both are very distinctive in feel, look and as well the resident hero and villain population. That sticks and requires more creativity. Marvel has no such thing because it has developed over the time to be more "realistic".

I also like that Superman is a childhood dream, with the glory that comes with being a traditional revered hero and the bright future. Not to mention awesome powers and a good life. We might want to be him, but at the same time he is not quite what we are, flawed humans.

Batman is the opposite; Gotham is a dark, depressing city and Batman will never be able to have a normal life and future. He is the broody, tormented hero, who despite his cynism and lack of superpowers, keeps fighting. We don't want to be him, but he is closer to us than Superman in a way. Also, Batman and pretty much all of his bat family are basic humans, with no powers. Yet he is a prominent hero. Marvel never created a powerless hero, who is the flagship, as well known if not more known than their famous characters.

I think both characters and Gotham and Metropolis are something that just stays with you for much longer, than the long roster of mostly mutant heroes of Marvel who usually live in standard cities like L.A. and N.Y. That does not mean Marvel is bad though.

I may have found an app: ComicRack.
ComicRack is a great app (I've used it to read manga before), but I was referring to a subscription service with access to digital comics content. And that, I have no clue about.

I believe I read where Kendrik mentioned something of the sort, but I have no experience or direct knowledge of digital comics subscriptions myself. Sorry. :(
Not sure if you can access Unlimited from Android yet, but I do know that Marvel has a really awesome digital subscription service. It's usually $60/year, I believe (you can buy in smaller increments, but this is the best value by far). Last I heard, you can use the coupon code Marvel30 to get it for 30% off. 30% off discounts come up often if you subscribe to their mailing list.

The service has a metric crapton of comics from all time in it... and they're constantly adding new ones. Here's a link!

Back