Christianity and Demon Hunter?

I concur with rizz...whenever i go to a HardxCore christian concert or Metal concert, you WILL feel a Godly presence....That is because that band IS doing something that is very meaningful and pleasing to god....And altho Zao's new album is called "funeral of god" something like that, they are experimenting, catching an essence of lyrics that sounds almost like Revelations..Who knows whats going to happen? its the Awesome Book of course:D But yes I went to a POD concert..I admit there was NO GODLY prescence there, they were only touring for the fame and money just like they did for ozzfest..they preached jack squat in concerts, which is dissappointing..If they dont live on their band name Payable on Death (meaning Payable upon death) They might as well change their name....Also if you DO have their new album u will see some fairly odd stuff in the cd liner trust me....so really the lyrics somewhat dont matter ( but you do have to praise god in some form), but the Godly essence you get for them tells you they are good guys! I am officialy leaving this topic my warning level was raised 2 times because of this..I fight no more about all this DH.....

I do love to praise god in everything! That is just my style of lyrics i like..I am not going to fight with anyone now cause i give up on this.....

Yea I am completely sorry...I shot down all you thoughts which was wrong..I see your perspective on this..but I like to glorify god through metal!

A Good Explaination on Types of Music by John MacArthur, Jr.

Sound Therapy

Ben, I did not mean to be offensive to you. I pray that I have not been. Please understand that this is something I feel very strongly about. I think one of my favorite things in all the earth would have to be music. It is right up there with the best of the best of God's creations, for me personally. Therefore, I must watch what I listen to. I try to discern if the music is catering to my flesh, or uplifting to the Holy Spirit. Lucifer was a musical creature, an orchestra within himself!

Thou hast been in Eden the garden of God; every precious stone was thy covering, the sardius, topaz, and the diamond, the beryl, the onyx, and the jasper, the sapphire, the emerald, and the carbuncle, and gold: the workmanship of thy tabrets and of thy pipes was prepared in thee in the day that thou wast created. Ezekial 28:13

It truly is important to be careful what you listen to.

The bottom lines is: Don't trust the devil. Let only the Holy Spirit guide you.

Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God. I Corinthians 10:31

True, and while I think we would all like to be in only a Christian position; God meant for us to be a light unto the world.

I would have to say that DH is definately a christian band. Seriously read the lyrics guys, and at least try to understand what they're talking about. Here, I'll help you:

Artist: Demon Hunter
Album: Demon Hunter
Song: My Throat Is An Open Grave

We lay face in pale solitude.
To save face, we pulled our walls in front of you.
To the same place where we danced in front of you.
We fell from grace and watched the hope'fall from your face.
This isn't me i used to say.
All the love was so gone.
It feels good to be alive.
I've been dead for so long: and all the broken promises.
I can't face. Afraidif someone notices, I lose my place.
Fractured, broken, paralyzed.
I need some space, tear me open, analyze.
This isn't me i used to say.
All the love was so gone.
It feels good to be alive.
I've been dead for so long.
Wake up screaming, I'm awake and dreaming,
And i won't stop breathing until my heart stops beating.
This isn't me, i used to say.
All the love was so gone, It feels good to be alive,
I've been dead for so long.

------------------------------------------------

This song is pretty obviously about salvation. I mean if the band says they're christian, they're obviously not going to be "singing about drugs", and if they were singing about drugs they would quickly be deemed secular.

Artist: Demon Hunter
Album: Summer Of Darkness
Song: Coffin Builder

My fall draws near.

My life fell out of my hands and into
This hole where everything's cold
I lose the feeling of guilt. There's
nothing inside, my innocence died.
And now the emptiness grows, it's
bringing me down and taking my crown
I've seen where everything's dark.
It's here in my soul, I'm losing control.

CHORUS:
Have mercy on me.
Have mercy on me.
Have mercy on me for every thorn I've driven in.

Within these walls you'll see
Alone in here - the end.

Before my very last day I'm making it stop.
I'm turning it off.
I'll fight the feeling I have until everything's
Gone. Resistance has won
Now time is healing these wounds and
You are still here releasing my fear
My life fell out of my hands. They
took it away, I'm taking it back.

(CHORUS)

And everyday I feel like this weight's
Constantly dragging me down
Broken for the last time (Never get the best of me, won't get the best of me)
I've got a heart of steel, but your words are
Constantly bringing me down.
I'm open for the first time (Never get the best of me, wont' get the best of me)

(CHORUS)

My fall drawns near.

-----------------------------------

This song is blatently christian! What thorns do you think he's talking about driving in? He's talking about having "crucified" Christ by living in sin and rejection of his perfect gift! This is another song about salvation! If you're gonna bash a band for singing about what they feel, then what's the point of music at all? It'd obviously not be to get any kind of message across.

About their appearance, it really bugs me when people say "well they can't be christian, they've got tatoos", perhaps they've been somewhere in life that you haven't, and made a stupid mistake, or maybe they'd just like to show their love for God by getting an eternal statement on their body (even though I don't condone that kind of thing, there is something kinda cool about it). It's obvious by their lyrics, that these guys probably weren't born into a Christian home, they've apparently been living in sin at some point in their lives and come out of it to live for Christ! Pardon me, but isn't that kinda what christianity is all about? Christ bringing you out of sin into purpose and salvation?

About the artwork, I think having a name like Demon Hunter sort of says something about their stance with demons and the forces of darkness, and their artwork is only confirming the implementations of their name. The demon skull with a bullet hole in it, Demon Hunter, pretty simple.

Whew, well, that's my stance on it, and for those saying that their lyrics are "dark and gothic" read Psalm 58 to see what David has to say about God's enemies. Gets a little dark if you ask me
biggrin.gif
, but there is not a shadow of a doubt that David was a very godly man.

Oh, and I'd just like to say, that POD's symbol originally symbolized the Trinity, but was twisted and preverted by those who follow satan. And also, Zao owns.

That's my stance on the subject.

EDIT: wow MaxX, we posted at almost exactly the same time.

HCS: The Bible is full of dark, terrible, and very depressing imagery. It has a purpose for being there. We live in a dark world. We're going to have to face the darkness, whether we want to admit it or not. That is what DH is all about. And just because you find something depressing, doesn't mean others will. That is simply a matter of personal preference.

Marc: Are you saying that Jesus and David had a forked tongue? Because...you know...they used metaphors and poetry as well...

Rizz: I agree completely. You've spoken all my thoughts more eloquently than I ever could, props to being British
wink.gif

Marcy you never offended me at alL! in fact I like all your oppinions on DH...

dudedude: i can tell thats christian on the chorus..

"have mercy on me for every thorn ive driven in" that is saying "god forgive me for the thorn crown ive driven in."

Here is the thing, though, that I keep seeing in the lyrics....I can see Pink Floyd singing those same lyrics and not refer to the saving grace of God.

But what does that matter when this IS reffering to the saving grace of God? I guess if you are convicted by the Holy Spirit not to listen to this, then don't. Period. All I'm doing is saying why it's ok to listen to it. They are a Christian band, and thus the lyrics are have Christian themes.

As a recording artist myself, one who enjoys music of all type, I thought I'd just jive my two cents worth in real quickly.

I do not think it's neccessary to mention the name of Jesus or God in a song to entitle you to preference with your Christian brothers. Simply relating life's trials are often times enough to bring someone closer to God, allowing them to understand other people have undertaken the same burdens and survived them -- Switchfoot does this often, and I don't see them often pointed out in a bad light.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the book of Esther, a book of the BIBLE, doesn't even mention the name of God, describe worship, or quote Scripture. Now, without trying to sound trite in the least, I've not heard one person in my entire life say, "THAT IS NOT A HOLY/CHRISTIAN/GODLY ITEM! REMOVE IT FROM OUR BIBLES!"

I often write songs, or lyrics, and they may not mention my savior by name, perhaps only by actions taken, perhaps only by feelings felt. Am I to be lifted up and rebuked? I'm sorry, but if you think so, I would have to deter from that line of thought.

On occasion, I'll write a piece of music that is praise enough for me. "Praise Him with stringed instruments." That music, in and of itself, lyric-less, is praise to my God. Now, just because you don't understand it or think it, does it make it any less praise to me? No. Just because another Christians uses different ways to worship or speak about their God, His actions or perhaps even His creation (themselves and their own thoughts at times), should they be criticized and dragged down simply because you don't think along the same lines? I would say no.

There is a church in Illinois, it's called the Church of the Living Dead. Everyone there looks like a Marylin Manson wannabe. But you know what? They know their Bible better than most Christians I know, they worship their God more whole-heartedly than most clean-cut, acoustic guitar playing/listening Christians I know. No knock on those mentioned in the latter. I happen to be one.

I am a Christian. You will know I'm a Christian by my love. Do I have to walk about screaming, "JESUS SAVES!%@!%@!" all the time? No. Just so long as I realize it and let it guide me, I will be fine. Those around me will benefit from that, as well.

As I was speaking to Tek about earlier yesterday afternoon, the pastor, Tivai, has one of the most learned minds about the Scripture, more than anyone I have ever personally met, with the exception of one lady twice his age. He exuberates the Spirit as if he was a water fountain flowing over. I cannot say enough about him and the sheep he leads, for they're truly children of the Almighty.

Yes, they're wonderful, and I would suggest taking anyone to it, even non-"goth"'s. Hey, I'd bring my grandmother if I didn't think she'd have a heart attack and keel over just from the way they were dressed. The Spirit is working in the least expected places....There's a large Christian-indy movement in the town I'm in, and people that I used to see getting high are now reading the Bible and leading worship groups and open-forum Bible groups.

Let's face it people, times are changing, and it's time we went to the people. Where EVER they might be.

Afterthought: I go to church with these guys here, I'll be seeing them in roughly two hours, and they went and led worship at this church a while back, which is when I was first exposed to it. Give their site a couple of hits. Brent, the drummer, we WERE going to create a band but....YARR, my good friend got snatched away from me like an apple from a tree by a hungry beggar. But it's all good, these guys are awesome =]

The gothic church link didnt work for me..
sad.gif
though im not a fan of goths.

Marcylene i really enjoyed that first article you posted link to.. My favourite quote on this subject is "so what level of distortion does a guitar need before it becomes evil?" As with any type of music the proof is in the lyrics.

We all will have different views on whats right or wrong. But we use the same arguments to listen to the christian music of our choice as we do to play the computer games of our choice. So we should use the spirit as a guide in the same way.

Might i add i was personally disappointed with DH's second album.. WHile the first was an apocalyptic concept album, the second is just full of songs about whatever.. I dunno if they ahve sold out or what. I believe they are christians but i certainly would welcome a more positive outlook from their lyrics". Some of the most beautiful and christian words i have heard have been from rock songs by true christian bands. There really is nothing quite as powerful as someone screaming "thankyou for the cross" to beating drums and a great guitar riff.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (rizz @ Jan. 21 2005,5:04)]There really is nothing quite as powerful as someone screaming "thankyou for the cross" to beating drums and a great guitar riff.
lol My hymns set to classical music and acappela quartets would probably drive you up a tree!!

I got the goth church link to work, and while I may not agree with even some doctrine I saw there, I was thrilled to see the plan of salvation, to the "T," in all It's glory!

I enjoy the study of music and have heard a youth pastor go into great detail on how it affects us.  I only looked at a couple of sites concerning antapestic beat.  This was described with the example of the Queen song that we hear at ball games with three beats.  da da DAAA  While I do not like this former group in the least, (the world loved them, nevertheless)! because of the beat of their music, it does tend to draw you in; considering this, I believe the study of music and its effects has it merit.

I must admit, I too am an avid guitar fan.  The most enjoyable to me, is not only the sound, but some guitarist are so skilled they are fascinating to watch.  Much to my dismay, Santana, Young, and Zappa chose not to use their talent to praise the LORD!

Praise him with the tinbrel and dance: praise im with stringed instruments and organs. Psalm 150:4 

whew! guitar lovers are safe!

I think concerning everything in life as a Christian is summed up well by our posting rules: Agree on the majors, tolerance on the minors, and in all things love!  

<group>  
wink.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]lol My hymns set to classical music and acappela quartets would probably drive you up a tree!!

Actually i am a big fan of classical music and i prefer the lyrics (not the music) of hymns to worship to.. They are just more...potent.. you know what i mean. I really like hymns redone in contemporary style like iona's "when i survey".. in fact our church band did a version of it i can rip and post if you wanna hear it.

props on zappa.... gotta love that facefuzz.
laugh.gif

When I survey the wonderous cross.
On which the Prince of glory died.
My richest gain I count but loss,
And pour contempt on all my pride.

Ohhh, yea, that's what I am talking about! Just hearing the title gets me singing and praising! I love that song and yes, thank you, I would love to hear it. Joni Earkeson Tada sings that and blesses my socks off! Glory!

Back