Christianity and Demon Hunter?

Knowing nothing about the band, I checked out their webpage.

Here are some excerpts from the FAQ:

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Is Demon Hunter a Christian band?

By far, this is the most asked question on the forum. However, no matter how many times this dicussion takes place, it always boils down to one thing: your interpretation of "Christian music".

If Jesus needs to be mentioned a magic number of times in each song in order for you to deem it Christian, I'm afraid you may be disappointed with this band. Or at the least you'll be opposed to calling it "Christian music"

The members of Demon Hunter are Christians, and as a result you will hear Christian views and influences in their lyrics. The lyrics, as a whole, are positive (with a positive message), and non-offensive (no vulgarity or profanity at all). Parents will find Demon Hunter to be a breath of fresh air when compared to many of the mainstream artists of this musical genre.

Icing on the cake - Some quotes from Ryan Clark (DH vocalist):

Quote:
Well, it's always a double-edged sword being in a Christian metal band. There's going to be legalistic Christians that don't support you because they don't understand the imagery or sound or lyrics.. And there's going to be plenty of people that do get it and understand and support it.

If people take the time to ask us about our faith (which they do), we have nothing to hide and they usually come around after hearing it straight from us.

Everyone knows we're a Christian band. Can't really hide it with a name like ours.

We do our best to show our faith through the way we live. And there is a message in our music and I think if you actually take the time to read the lyrics, you'll understand that. I'm not camouflaging anything. I use metaphors and a semi-poetic style in my lyrics, but I think anyone who tries will understand what I'm saying.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]What's with the name/logo?

Alot of people get scared off by the word "demon" in the band's name, and the skull logo. The true meaning behind the name? There is none. The band was goofing around one day and came up with the name.

But here's what most of us agree on when we apply real meaning to it: The band sings alot about dealing with personal problems. Personal problems = demons. What do hunters do? They hunt things down to kill them. So, "Demon Hunter" = finding problems within yourself and dealing with them.

The skull is not a goat skull. Most of us agree it's a demon skull, split in half, with a bullet hole in its forehead. This goes right along with the band's name. The skull on the SoD cover is just a variation of it.

There you go! they are christian and some people in these forums do not understand their style of lyrics...thanks dark virtue you have made me happy

It is apparent that P.O.D. is not a Christian band. Look at all the stuff they point out in this article:

http://www.av1611.org/crock/crockex1.html

But let's not let this discussion spill into this other realm of "Christian metal"

<ontopic>

According to the Wikipedia entry for demon hunter (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demon_Hunter):

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Their sound has been compared to Slipknot. Interestingly, Demon Hunter at first chose to hide the identity of all of its members, creating some controversy over the band.

I'll let you guys draw your own conclusions for that
tounge.gif

Again, I feel compelled to mention....

Why would a Christian Band choose to hide the Message under lyrics that are open to many different interpretations? (genuinely curious)

Gen

p.s. Sorry for any misspelling, tis late here.

maybe because they're afraid that people won't listen to them, if they recogznize it as christian? but that isn't a very good thing. That shows that htey are either weak in their relationship with god, (i doubt that) which means, they are not. or i dunno. whatever.

as much as i do love DH's DARK LYRICS... i do admit they might be hiding the message in their lyrics, which is rediculous...but please do not judge people by the style of lyrics..their ISNT ONE perfect style of lyrics to live by you know

sirthom i thank you for revealing that site..alot of stuff there stunned me!!! altho i think the stuff outside of POD is blasphemus...that site IS created by non christians or "Athiests" they are very afraid of christianity so they look on some Occult symbols and blames CHRISTian artists for using them.....the most part i ROFL'd on is when they said "Rock is DEVILS MUSIC" HOW MUCH <edited for profanity> IS THAT?!?! on a scale of 1-10 itd be 10......

I think SA is right, Gen, you would have to wonder where their relationship is with God.  Why hide your light under a bushel?  It makes no sense.  The love of money is the root of all evil, that could be the reason they are giving the head banging community what they want.  Just another form of godliness seemingly without the power.  
<a href="http://www.christianrocklyrics.com/demonhunter.php" target="_blank">lyrics
humanism - A system of thought that centers on humans and their values, capacities, and worth.
Or, just another branch off the ole' religious tree/denomination</a>
Demon Hunter
1. Screams Of The Undead
2. I Have Seen Where It Grows
3. Infected
4. My Throat Is An Open Grave
5. Through The Black
6. Turn Your Back And Run
7. And The Sky Went Red
8. As We Wept
9. A Broken Upper Hand
10. The Gauntlet

Summer Of Darkness
1. Not Ready To Die
2. The Awakening
3. Beheaded
4. My Heartstrings Come Undone
5. Our Faces Fall Apart
6. Less Than Nothing
7. Summer Of Darkness
8. Beauty Through The Eyes Of A Predator
9. Anihilate The Corrupt
10. I Play Dead
11. Everything Was White
12. Coffin Builder
13. The Latest And The Last

These are all their titles and the link takes you to a complete list of the lyrics.  The one that grabs my attention is Not Ready to Die!!!!  I see rebellion and darkness in all of their lyrics.  The Bible says:

Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.  Philippians 4:8

I see more thinking on sin, troubles, angst, and just anything other than good here.  
Also, God talks about our enemy as being strong.  But we know God is stronger! We are not the demon hunter, He is!  The simple truth of the matter is that we are no match against our enemy without God's power.  To think otherwise would be humanistic, would it not?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Is Demon Hunter a Christian band?

By far, this is the most asked question on the forum. However, no matter how many times this dicussion takes place, it always boils down to one thing: your interpretation of "Christian music".
Call me unusual, but Christian music should be music performed by Christians, (those bought with the price of Jesus' blood and striving to live as Jesus did), to the praise and glory of God, and pointing others to Jesus' saving power.  I don't think our Heavenly Father is too happy with us cashing in on His name, otherwise.  

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]If Jesus needs to be mentioned a magic number of times in each song in order for you to deem it Christian, I'm afraid you may be disappointed with this band. Or at the least you'll be opposed to calling it "Christian music"
Okay, let me put on my mathematical genius cap...hmmm, let's see now....magic number, out of 26 songs, several thousand words...how about mentioning Jesus one time, at the very least?  Nope.  Why?  I find that Christians who love the LORD have a very hard time not speaking of Him.  Take notice, even those who may not be living as Christ would want...I promise, they will mention Him.  These guys have a public following, young people no less!  Grab the millstone!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]The members of Demon Hunter are Christians, and as a result you will hear Christian views and influences in their lyrics. The lyrics, as a whole, are positive (with a positive message),
I must admit, it was offensive to read their lyrics, but I tried.  I did not feel positive, nor once get the idea they are speaking of Jesus.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Well, it's always a double-edged sword being in a Christian metal band. There's going to be legalistic Christians that don't support you because they don't understand the imagery or sound or lyrics.. And there's going to be plenty of people that do get it and understand and support it.
How about you are not supported because we DO understand?  Legalistic?  Now, Christianity gives a freedom from sin that I do not see in these foreboding songs.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]If people take the time to ask us about our faith (which they do), we have nothing to hide and they usually come around after hearing it straight from us.
People have to come up and ask them?  Okay, if you can't mention Him in your lyrics, will you witness somewhere, sometime?  How about the plan of salvation at the concert?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I'm not camouflaging anything. I use metaphors and a semi-poetic style in my lyrics, but I think anyone who tries will understand what I'm saying.
Me thinks he speaks with a forked tongue, more especially on this quote.  As for the lyrics, I need an interpreter!  

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]What's with the name/logo?
But here's what most of us agree on when we apply real meaning to it: The band sings alot about dealing with personal problems. Personal problems = demons. What do hunters do? They hunt things down to kill them. So, "Demon Hunter" = finding problems within yourself and dealing with them.
hmmm, now that IS scary!  If it means the problems within ourselves, why do we need the goat head?  One can only assume!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]The skull is not a goat skull. Most of us agree it's a demon skull, split in half, with a bullet hole in its forehead. This goes right along with the band's name. The skull on the SoD cover is just a variation of it.
Oh, I see, that is better!

The DVmiester, defending DH!  You haven't heard this music?  Think a head banging Benny Hinn! Just for that, you are required to listen to them for 40 days and nights at a loud, neighbor annoying decibel!

The music is wrong.  The site SirT gave is right on the money.  Open your eyes and open the Word!

In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.  II Corinthians 4:4

If it looks like a duck, smells like a duck, walks like a duck, quacks like a duck...

CAN WE PLEASE JUST DROP THIS?!?!? IS ONE BAND WORTH ALL THE LIME LIGHT HERE?!?!! I ASK YOU GUYS TO PLEASE CLOSE THIS TOPIC FOR GOOD

Do i step in on this... ppl arguing about music and christianity when they really dont know what theyre saying...lol. (no offense)

If you want to know about the effects of music .. read my testimony.

You cant judge a band because they dotn mention jesus in every song. Take kevin max for example. He made a solo album with complete allegorical lyrics and story based poetry.. but noone would question his christianity.

WHile i say that in one hand, to judge a band because of the style of their music is simply wrong. Its the lyrics that make it. Everyone has different preferences, and they should be allowed to listen to their own style of music and have christian alternatives for it.

However, POD - yeh they sold out.. i do not think they stand for what they used to. DH - i have wondered about this band a little. But they are christians and so are not capable of writing or singing things which are demonic ( or do you read different bibles to me). So if someone wants to listen to it then let them.. You cant condemn them, especially not ehre in a community where if you say you are a christian then you get accepted in..With no other thought as to your character or lifestyle.

Last word on the subject... Trashcanhands by Zao. They got annoyed because people ditched their "liberate" album becuase it was a poetic piece based upon dantes inferno... so they deciede to set the record straight.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Genesis1315 @ Jan. 17 2005,10:45)]Again, I feel compelled to mention....

Why would a Christian Band choose to hide the Message under lyrics that are open to many different interpretations?  (genuinely curious)

Gen

p.s.  Sorry for any misspelling, tis late here.
just an addendum.. this is the great christianity vs i have to eat scenario.

Most bands wont get a signing if they are overtly christian in their lyrics. Even a breakthrough band like zao had problems. And i quote him again when i say...

(paraphrase)There will always be christians who you are not holy enough for, and others who you are always too holy for. So you get stuck. You have to just write what you want and be firm in your beileif. And ppl can think what they like.. As long as you dont let them drag you down.

Many bands have used poetic and allegorical lyrics as a way to bring across good music that has christian roots without people being scared away by the "jesus in ur face" style of worship music or contemporary. If you dont listen to heavy music then you will just not understand it. No offense to you guys but, if you cant fly a plane then you shouldnt tell a pilot how to do it.

Of course, music can be dangerous. As with any style of music, i would expect christians to listen to it with themselves open to the spirit and if something doest sit right then be sensible enough to trash it. I have had to do this with a few bands that profess to be christian (i wont name them). Still if the individual chooses and is happy with his choice. And he has been spiritually wise.. You cannot deny his decision.. I dont care how many bible verses you think you have.. You cant.

Oh and dont direct any rebuttals to me.. cos i dont come in religious discussions hardly at all. And it wouldnt be nice to not let me defend myself...lol.

Oh and one last point... Please try to draw a parallel to our very community. We get looked down upon because we play games that involve violence and killing. But why do we do it? To reach those who would not normally be reached.. Transfer across... who is going to rech the metalsheads? clas crosse? michael w smith?.. i think not.. though i do love their music, they have no effect there. Horses for courses. We need to be all things to all men to reach and win some.

I realise you will probably carry on arguing about whether the lyrics of Dh are suitable as christian.. Personally i dont care if they are. The music is good, they convey a positive image (yes positive... have you ever seen any REAL metal bands.. not the stuff mtv throws at you). So its up to you if you listen. And if you dont like.. dont listen.. but dont judge their hearts for the music they write.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (l33tben @ Jan. 17 2005,4:34)]altho i think the stuff outside of POD is blasphemus
iYeah...I think so too. I mean, there ain't no way that Third Day purposefully picked that symbol on their albums, and that one of those symbols matched the Lynrd Skynrd album or whatever.

&lt;ontopic&gt;

Very very good points there, Marcylene....especially how you quoted our Word
smile.gif

sirthom- yes indeed..now i feel ashamed to have most of their albums, when all this time they sold out and tried to look cool with "occult symbols" hangin all over the place and the profanity they used in the magazines.....i have nothing else to say about it but mourn over their being sold-out

rizz- you have some very good points on DH and music such like that

HCS- are you saying a person is not allowed to see or hear dark lyrics?? that is also saying "GOTHS including christian goths are bad"

"But the LORD said to Samuel, 'Do not consider his appearance. . . The LORD does not look at the things man looks at. Man looks at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart.'" I Samuel 16:7

depends what "kind" of "goths" they are... yea, but here's a comparison. look at a drugee. His eyes are rolling, he is stumbling around, ranting in public. You can safely assume his heart is currently consumed with alcohol or some other illegal substance you wouldn't want put in your mouth... It's kind of like that. I'm not saying their bad, Ihave'nt done any research... but using profanity ?? now i'm getting suspicious. and occult symbols? if jesus was in the badn (assume he came in modern times... HEY THINK ABOUT THAT, THAT WOULD BE COOL1!!!!!!!!!
biggrin.gif
) would he be cool with that? probbaly not.
tounge.gif

Ive decided to make on emore post to clarify. I have ahd a few pms of various ppl and have tried to reply to them as best i can.

My comments were to defend a genre of music. Of which DH are not a sterling example.. and of which POD are a stinking example. But the fact remains, people have made heavy metal bands as christians and have broken into a fanbase that would otherwise be untouched. WHile they may not be shouting Christ in their lyrics they do so with their lifestyle and on live shows. I know of many bands who you would not think they were christian from the lyrics.. but visit their website, their live shows etc.. you feel the prescence of God there.

My experience is totally personal so thats why i can say such things and not be argued with.. You cant argue with a persons experience. But i have spent many hours researching music and its effect. It is something i feel very strongly about.

At the end of the day what a christian listens to is up to them. Secular or christian and whatever style they want. I went through a phase of condeming ppl for listening to secular rock music as it had horrible lyrics. I dont listen to it myself but there is no reason to enforce it on anyoen else. If they are not being oversely affected by it then we cant tell them to stop.

I still try to keep a spiritual ear open when listening to any bands. especially those who claim to be christians only to let you down. (pod, creed, evanescence). If they are truly christian it will show. I know i use zao as too many examples.. But they have never compromised on their faith and still are regarded as pioneers of their style of music. They were respected (by metalheads) for what they did.. Not the fact they were christians. Yet they had a christian influence on all they came across.. You only have to read user reviews in amazon.com to see this.

Im not gonna come back in here so please pm me if you have any questions of comments. You are entitled to disagree.. You are entitled to think that all heavy music os from the devil..LOL... But dont argue with what i have experienced in my own life and the way God has used some christianbands to bring me back to him.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]well they are dissing DH's lyrics....

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]you're right..I am..because the lyrics are not christian.

Actually, I don't think it has anything to do with that the lyrics aren't Christian...

l33tben, i think what hcs is trying to point out to you is the bible says to gaurd your heart, not linger your ears and thoughts on things that may or may not be good for you....
~~~
ultimately what you do is your decision, what you listen to. . your decision, or relevant to our community, what games you play, your decision.... ... do what you know is right, but be careful that you dont talk yourself into allowing things in your life you dont need.... games, friends, music, or otherwise..

Back