Building a new machine, AMD VS. INTEL

AMD VS INTEL

• Total voters

noname

sooo i'll be building a new machine soon and i've heard that as of now intel is pwning AMD for over all chunkness. i know there is alot of big computer heads here, so what do you think? should i stick with my over all fav. that is the awesomness of AMD or convert to the darkside of INTEL?

P.S. feel free to link stuff from newegg or whatever sites.

Intel. I'm using a E8400 and last I heard, it's one of the easiest to overclock. (3.9 or so with a stock fan)

it depends. are you purely for cost or can you afford a little extra $$$. What's your budget? What do you want the box to do?

Personally, I'd go with an AMD quad core Phenom.

I use a Phenom 9850 and I second Bakey's suggestion.

Performance AMD processors are far cheaper than Intel performance processors and AMD's performance processors are in comparably priced to Intels normal (I guess, lack of words) processors. Not to mention performance mainboards for AMDs are usually cheaper than those of the performance Intels.

I have always used AMD in all of my homebuilt computers and have never had problems.

Edit:

Newegg has a combo deal with The AMD Phenom 2 and one of Gigabytes motherboards going on at the moment.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.190735

Last edited:
if you are going to go phenom go phenom2 and avoid the nasty l3 tlb issue. However comparably priced amd chps are about 10-25% slower clock for clock..AMD is purely on price right now they do not come close in power or performance.

sooo i'll be building a new machine soon and i've heard that as of now intel is pwning AMD for over all chunkness. i know there is alot of big computer heads here, so what do you think? should i stick with my over all fav. that is the awesomness of AMD or convert to the darkside of INTEL?

P.S. feel free to link stuff from newegg or whatever sites.

i would prefer one that had a power supply that worked at church.... ya know so you cant use that excuse to not come.... :p

Last edited:
Newegg has a combo deal with The AMD Phenom 2 and one of Gigabytes motherboards going on at the moment.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.190735

for a mobo i want to go ASUS or EVGA. not sure about the chipsets though.

it depends. are you purely for cost or can you afford a little extra $$$. What's your budget? What do you want the box to do?

i'm not looking to spend 2k err something so i would like some nicer stuff, but i'm thinking 300 on a CPU is the limit.

i'm gonna need everything with this build, case, PSU, mobo, memory, HDD's, CD drives, blah blah blah

i would prefer one that had a power supply that worked at church.... ya know so you cant use that excuse to not come.... :p

i use the excuse that we dont head down to the church anymore :-(
it was acually my memory that was doing that. after i got new memory i havent had that problem anywhere

Last edited:
for 300 on a cpu you can get a smoking intel chipo..which is hte way i would go. What is your total budget?

Last edited:
Oooo, for that kinda jack you can build a REALLY good machine. Post your total budget and I'll post a build from Newegg. :)

I love doing that kinda stuff.

dont rightly know what my total budget is, a grand ish for
CPU/mobo/mem/PSU seems about right. i can use my video card/HDD's for now and upgrade those when i get alil more spending money.

I have been using AMD's since I built my first 586 machine.

AMD's architecture is just superior to Intel's. Intel is getting much closer and there is less difference between the two now than a couple years ago. Both make good products.

I just think AMD is a little better and you are not paying for the Intel name and all those expensive space man advertisements.

I have been using AMD's since I built my first 586 machine.

AMD's architecture is just superior to Intel's. Intel is getting much closer and there is less difference between the two now than a couple years ago. Both make good products.

I just think AMD is a little better and you are not paying for the Intel name and all those expensive space man advertisements.
I am no Intel fan..but right now amd's architecture is NOT superior to Intel's. AMD is now in the position the p-4 from Intel was just in. Right now AMD is better on price alone...all other metrics are firmly in intel's camp right now.

Last edited:
havent decided yet. basicly just saving up as much as i can right now.

i found this combo deal off newegg, really liking it.
Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem/ASUS P6T Deluxe

CORSAIR 750W
PSU

CORSAIR memory

this is what i'm lookin at. its takin alot of controll not to hit the buy butten right now..

so i went to work thinking about this, then came home looked around a bit more and i'm still liking these parts. i'm ok with the price cuz i'm planning on having this computer for a while so spending a bit more up front isnt to bad IMO. gonna sleep on it then order it tomorrow.

(still open for more thoughts tho..)

Back