Best iOS games?

Tek7

CGA President, Tribe of Judah Founder & President
Staff member
Well, I had planned not to install ANY games on the iPhone I received for work...but then I cracked and installed Tiny Tower to see what all the fuss was about. I...still don't see what all the fuss was about.

But having tried a few free iOS games, I'm wondering if there are any great games on the App Store. Most feel like Flash games, though even that's not a fair assessment since I've played several games on Kongregate that are actually quite good. Perhaps I should say most free iOS games feel like early Flash games.

And don't worry: I won't play any games on my work phone during work hours. I'm a professional, after all. Occasionally checking my Tamagotchi skyscraper once or twice a night after I'm home from work is fair game, though. :)

Played a bit of Swordigo today. Fun game. IMO, Swordigo doesn't feel or look cheap like so many iOS games. It's one of the first iOS games that's held my interest for more than a few minutes.

Ice Rage was fun for the few minutes I played it, but it featured the same "BUY THIS CHARACTER FOR $0.99" nickel-and-diming (not a real word, but you know what I mean) that seems to plague iOS F2P games.

The controls for Wolf3D iOS felt awful to me. Maybe I just need to stick with it until I "get it."

Dungeon Raid looks like my type of game (yay puzzle RPG!) but apparently I stink at it. Going to give it another try, though.

May skip Hero Academy if it's multiplayer only. Looks like fun, though.

Dungeon Raid is awesome! Try Triple Town. Keep Puzzle Quest 2 on appshopper list for when it might become free, heck keep 200+ games on appshopper like I do so you get an email when they drop to free. I figure I have got $500+ in free apps thanks to appshopper. It seems just about every game goes free at least 1 day a year. Gotta be quick sometimes. It is a frugal gamers crack stop.

Last edited:
100 Rogues when its free (which is often)

Game Dev Story is made for old school gamers like us. (Who doesn't want to run a game company?!?!?)

Junk Jack LE is very impressive.

Princess Punt is a hoot.

Jetpack Joyride is entertaining in short bursts again and again.

What types of games are you looking for? When it comes to handheld portable games I prefer puzzles, but I could let you know what I like from just about any genre. I'm not sure I'll remember which were free though.

What types of games are you looking for? When it comes to handheld portable games I prefer puzzles, but I could let you know what I like from just about any genre. I'm not sure I'll remember which were free though.
I guess games-games. Not Skinner boxes with 8-bit trappings. (Yes, I'm talking about Tiny Tower.)

The touchscreen interface and low cost of entry seems to lend itself to puzzle games, so I'd like to find more good iOS puzzle games. I found I like To-Fu 2 more than I expected. The same goes for Where's My Water? (The irony is playing a game about ensuring an alligator can take a shower, since it's a Disney Mobile game on an Apple platform, makes me feel dirty.)

If there was a way to buy a voucher code for Angry Birds Space (instead of having to tie my debit card information to my Apple account), I'd buy it in a heartbeat. I don't know if I could spend $1 on Where's My Water? though, considering where the money will go (which is a shame, because it's a solid game).

Some of my favorite that I feel play well on the iphone:

Optia - laser redirection puzzler, my favorite puzzle game so far.
Drop7 - tetris-style number game that you play at your own pace (no frantically increasing speed as you level up)
Stranded Without A Phone - survival; use items you find and that wash up on shore to get off the island
I Dig It (1 & 2) - control a digging machine searching for treasures (better than it sounds)
Spider: The Secret of Bryce Manor - as a spider, explore a mansion, spin webs, eat insects, and solve the mystery
Reign of Swords - turn-based medieval field combat. couldn't find it in the app store though...
Archibald's Adventures - platform/puzzler, using switches, levers, dodging enemies to reach your objective

I'm not sure if any of them have a free trial/version or not...

Thanks for the suggestions!

I guess I can try out this AppShopper app (or site?) ewoks was talking about and add them to a list. :)

appshopper is fantastic, I run about 200 on my wishlist and get free game alerts a couple times every week. Pretty awesome because you can see the price history since the app launched and know how good a deal you are getting.

Back