Anyone read dc comics?

I just want to say that I'm proud of all of you fellas for turning this into a marvel discussion.

It is but a microcosm of the current culture playing out. Thanks to the horrific way WB is handling their DC properties, DC is finding itself more and more overshadowed by a competitor that has been on an absolute roll of solid planning, decision making, marketing, and quality production.

Here are a few things DC can/would have to do to catch up at any reasonable speed:

1. Find the equivalent to Kevin Feige and give him complete control over the entirety of the DC Intellectual Properties.
2. Establish a movie studio specifically designed to create DC related movies. Staff with people who love DC properties.
3. Establish a legitimate online comics presence in a manner similar to that of Marvel Unlimited. They don't have to mimic it, there are ways to make one even better -such as making their excellent array of animated shows available on said app.
4. Grow up a little. If you don't know what I mean, look up Starfire and Catwoman controversy. Also, my fiancee hates the current Harley Quinn look, so if you could change that while you're there... (ie, at least try to make your comics something a lady might be interested in reading.)

The truth is, I'm not a huge fan of DC. I do enjoy some elements (Green Lantern, modern Batman with the whole legion of batmen thing,) but DC was largely plagued with a philosophy that says that evil is as strong or stronger than good, and that just makes all my lie-o-meters go nuts.

Pluralism + humanism + nihilism = Really bad storytelling.

Sorry, A Song of Ice and Fire fans. If you don't believe me now, you will by the end of book 5.

Has anyone read the original Excalibur series?
Yeees~

Somewhere, in a box, in a closet, in another city, sits my copy of the Excalibur: The Sword Is Drawn trade paperback. It's not in great condition (I bought it used 15+ years ago), but it's among my prized possessions among my comics.

I think Excalibur was in the issue 40-50 range when I dropped comics entirely. I've read some synopses of X-Men and Excalibur now and again and I always come away thinking it sounds like a cosmic soap opera. :(

EDIT: But I still <3 early Excalibur!

Hey, speaking of comics, did they ever manage to make Cyclops likable? Because I always thought Kitty would make a better successor to Xavier than Cyclops. Just IMO.

Last edited:
I've never thought of Cyclops as unlikeable, though I don't have much experience with the comics (and he didn't outlast Prof X in the movies lol). As it is, I thought he was a good enough leader in Whedon/Cassaday's Astonishing X-Men.

Well, I am a few issues into the early 2000ish avengers disassembled event...so far I am enjoying it. Also keeping up with so more current issues they publish on unlimited each week. I previewed some of the cosmic marvel reads, and I can't wait to reach that story event., love me some nova and guardians.

Well, I am a few issues into the early 2000ish avengers disassembled event...so far I am enjoying it. Also keeping up with so more current issues they publish on unlimited each week. I previewed some of the cosmic marvel reads, and I can't wait to reach that story event., love me some nova and guardians.

Those cosmic event(s) made me a comic book fan again. Annihilation - Thanos Imperative is just a perfectly encapsulated event with a clear beginning, middle, and most importantly, an ending.

The new Guardians of the Galaxy series is kinda jarring considering how the Thanos Imperative ended though. But the Original Sin event this summer is apparently going to cover that, and the various involved characters already know something is amiss.

Back