Anyone read dc comics?

Logos

The reason I am asking is I was looking for a good jump on point for a few dc comic series.

I am big into Marvel right now thanks to the $10/mo Marvel Unlimited thing. But I hear the New 52 is really the best place to jump in. I've been watching the Arrow TV series, and the fans of the show say the best place to start the green arrow series is around #17. For superman, Action Comics by Greg Pak and Aaron Kuder is supposed to be pretty good. If you're a Flash fan, Flashpoint is the event that triggered the New 52.
Which comic series are you looking to jump onto?

Well, I have always been a huge justice league fan, but they just came out of thee forever evil story arc which leaves me with a lot of options. Lol. Also I don't want to have to back track too much. Also, batman is one of my all time favorites, but there are so many spin offs. I don't have enough to keep up with everyone.

Well Justice League United came out on the 23, if you want issue #0. It contains Supergirl, Hawkman, Green Arrow, Stargirl, Martian Manhunter and Animal Man.
I am now reminded I really really have lost track of what's going on in DC. The new Wonder Woman and Aquaman are supposed to be good. I gave up years ago trying to keep track of Batman.
I should pick a couple up to see what's happening currently. (I have always loved the Flash, and I've grown fond of the Green Arrow in the Justice League Unlimited animated series and Arrow TV show)

Marvel on the other hand, I can now name most of the good jumping off points into the universe that came out in the last 10-12 years. I recently put a comic on my pull list for the first time in forever: the Marvel Now! Nova series (I started Marvel Unlimited hoping to learn more about the Guardians of the Galaxy. Read the 2006-2008 cosmic run, and wound up with a new all time favorite hero: Nova).

This thread makes me want to rummage around in some boxes to see if I still have my early issues of Excalibur. Easily one of my favorite series (or at least, what I read of it, which would include around the first ~30-40 issues).

I abandoned comic books in the mid-90s when X-Men tanked (IMO). So sad.

But I do plan on watching all the movies leading up the Avengers movie from a few years back. So far, though, I've just seen the first Iron Man.

So many good superhero movies, so little time.

I am big into Marvel right now thanks to the $10/mo Marvel Unlimited thing. But I hear the New 52 is really the best place to jump in. I've been watching the Arrow TV series, and the fans of the show say the best place to start the green arrow series is around #17. For superman, Action Comics by Greg Pak and Aaron Kuder is supposed to be pretty good. If you're a Flash fan, Flashpoint is the event that triggered the New 52.
Which comic series are you looking to jump onto?

Yes! Marvel Unlimited is rather insane. I have been consuming comics at a rapid rate thanks to it. So many great new runs! Daredevil, Hawkeye, F4/FF all soooo good!

I love Unlimited. Paid for a whole year up front for DAT SAVINGS(tm).

As for DC, I haven't kept up since the first year of New 52. Some of the new arcs sound awesome, though.

Well, we had one of two comic expos for this spring and summer this weekend so I was hunting down some good stuff...honestly the more I looked and shuffled through boxes I found myself drawn to the minor companies comics as apposed to marvel and dc. Aside from the marvel 4 part rocket raccoon first run way back when that was about $50 dollars right now...sheesh. Anyways, I found some issues from the previous turok series, and also some others that were not dc or even marvel related. "Gasp", never thought I would say it but the mainstream comics were a bit too convoluted for my taste. Oh well, maybe it's my age...I dunno.

It's really amazing, and was something that got me back on the road to reading comics again. So much of the 2000s was all about being dark and gritty and here comes a series that somehow manages to encapsulate everything that made comics so much fun to read.

And yeah, 8-Bit theater was one of the best web comics out there. I still go back and reread it every now and then.

I know this is a DC thread, but Marvel is better... haha j/k , well not really.

Buuuuut for those that have Unlimited or might be getting it next time they offer 1 month for $1.

Best Comics Available on Marvel Digital Unlimited – The Ultimate Guide

Shows how much I pay attention to new features. This is awesome!!! I can finally read years of continuity without digging through old comic boxes. And save space which my wife will love. :)

I know what I am doing with my $10 dollars next week. :) we are on a tight budget so this works great!!

Last edited:
yeah, $10/mo is definitely worth it. If I wanted to say, lay my hands on the Marvel Cosmic I linked earlier, it would run me about $230 -which I could never afford to do (although If I ever do buy any old comic events, that's the one I'm getting). It is also a huge win for Marvel. They have all these people who haven't/don't read comics coming in from the movies and thinking about checking some out. They'd definitely throw down $10 to gain access to pretty much everything, and maybe even get caught up with their favorite characters and stick around for the new stuff coming out (like my fiancee, she can now read decades of Nightcrawler related comics...).

I really hope DC starts something similar soon, because I have wanted to read some of their older events and series as well. It is unfortunate that they, as a whole, seem to always be one step behind their other major competitor. Although I don't think my wallet would ever be able to handle both Marvel and DC at the top of their game in comics, movies, and tv at the same time.

Wow, this is loaded with good reads...now where to begin...I was looking at that website and it is a lot to take in, but hey it's all unlimited. :)

For Marvel, I highly recommend Matt Fraction's run of Iron Man. It's pretty much supreme but you do need to have a basic knowledge of the Dark Reign series (as much as I dislike Dark Reign.)

I can give you cliff's notes if you like, but they may include spoilers.

Back