A little computer history.....

Instead of your name, I'm going to call you "Kidan's Brother"...

tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (TheElite @ July 29 2004,8:35)]Instead of your name, I'm going to call you "Kidan's Brother"...

tounge.gif
mwahahahhahahahahahahhah

it'll be just like his high-school years....
biggrin.gif

Hmm... well I guess this was technically our house's first computer. I know I had many good days on it playing a game called "Hunt the Wumpus" It was called the TI-99/4a- truely a spectacle of graphics and sound. It hooked up to the "television"(I felt like putting it in quotes) and there was a slot with which you would load cartriges to load programs with. I think the operating system and some other stuff. They also made TI's version of invaders with it. That was fun too. It was made in 1983, 4 years before I was born. when I was looking on ebay for pictures to reminisce with, I was reading the description of an item and found this. "It comes with an "as new" keyboard overlay, some orig documentation including the ti-99/4 users manual (not 4a manual). This is a rare item in itself. The coffee stain on the cover is also rare! I know of no others with this exact coffee stain. I believe the coffee is from about 1979." I found it mildly amusing so I thought you would also. Anyway heres a link I found for those who are interested. It had a whopping 16k of VRAM! http://www.old-computers.com/museum/computer.asp?st=1&c=236

however, If you wanted to save stuff, you had to use an accesory that stored memory on a tape based system. One of the world's first portable computers. They still use Ti basic to program calculators don't they?

Until last year I had an IBM model M keyboard in my room produced on the date January 8, 1987. It was 8 months older than me. Now if you're wondering about compatibility issues, I mean obiously the thing came with a serial keyboard input for my computer. But we got a different cable, as one of the features of the model M was that it had a detachable cable. So we replaced the cable with a PS2 cable so it would work because we didn't have very many other keyboards. The thing also weighed about 10-15 pounds. No Joke. It eventually broke the keyboard drawer on my desk it was so heavy. The other thing about this keyboard is that it had a different system of springing. This website explains it http://www.scoutingaround.com/computers/keyboard/Model_M.html
I also changed the order of the keys around so they didn't match up with qwerty so I wouldnt have to look down when I type. It took alot of thinking but now I have it right. And I owe it all to the illustrious model M

They use some ghetto form of BASIC, at least for the TI-85. Ah, the good old days. I still have most of a Star Wars game I programmed for the TI-85. I say most, because I had to stop when the programs (there were three or four that were called from the main program) ate up ALL OF MY MEMORY. I was gonna try to remake it in to strictly graphical, with enemy ships and a cross hair and what-not, but by the time I ate up all my memory I was so invested in the text based RPG version I had no steam for the other.
tounge.gif

Hey fleck,

I had one of those texas instrument computers. I USED to play hunt the wumpus.

Mind you i was about 12 at the time... DOH

ahh those were the days...

My mates had a vic 20, then i got mine a coupla years later, Got an Amstrad after that- green screen... while everyone else was using an amiga 500.... doh..

my first machine that i had (not bought for me) was a pen iii 800...

these days i just buy something new whenever i can. waiting for new Video card, after HL2 comes out...

then a new AMD xp cpu, whatevers around the $15o mark...

then serial ata hard drives, striped in about a year.

sealcomm

Back