A little computer history.....

Killa_s

seeing all these posts about computer specs letz c what have I gone through....

486 processor
10 megs of ram ?
100mb hd
um dunno rest...:O

100mhz pentium
16 megs of ram
1.9gb hd
14.4 kbps modem
generic everything...

emachine
533mhz celeron
192 mb ram
integrated 4mb graphics
dialup
integrated sound

was the shiznit then....

Dell
2ghz p4 (before ht and etc )
512 mb ram
sblive sound card
gf2mx400
40 gb hard drive
24x cd/rw drive
(computer eventually given to the store)
(dad got a laptop with athlon 64...)

I ended up with 533mhz celeron
256mb sdram
32mb gf2 mx200 pci....
15 gb hard drive
52 x burner

then
it was
700mhz
384 ram
64 mb gf2mx400 (out of dell)
same specs as above

then it was
shuttle ak32vn mobo
40 gb hd/ 15gb slave
52x burner
dvd rom
sblive sound card
ati radeon 9200 se 128mb 8x agp
athlonxp 1900+

now its a
shuttle an35-n nforce2 ultra 400
athlonxp 1900+
512 mb ddr ram
52x burner
dvd-rom
fx5200 128mb 8x agp
40gb hd/15gb slave
sb live sound card

not much better but it's faster now!
w00t

yea anyway how about them UGA bulldawgs

wait what was I talking about again?
rock.gif

bah how about u guys computer history? o_O

I'm bored save me!

My first PC was a Tandy 1000 TX. It was top of the line. It was a 16 MHz processor, with 640 KB RAM and no hard drive. 16 color monitor and a dot matrix printer. To top it off, it had the "Tandy 3-voice chip" which made my games even better.

I wanted a hard drive at the time and a 20 MB (yes, 20 megabytes) hard drive cost about $300. Needless to say, my parents wouldn't get it for me. DOS had to keep booting from a floppy disk...

biggrin.gif

I had a Tandy too. Can't remember the model number but it was the 8088 processor with 640 KB RAM and the single floppy with no hard drive.

It was a while before we got a hard drive too. But I remember the day. I installed Kings Quest 2 and was just amazed at how much faster the levels loaded and no more please insert disk... Life was much simpler back then. You could fit 100-300 basic games on a single low density floppy.

Elite, if you had an RGB monitor, did you ever buy any games where you had to send in for the full color disk? Yeah thats right youngins, back in the day we only had 4 colors. They wanted extra money to play games at 16 colors.

my first computer was an Adam. <table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">The ADAM is an 8 bit computer with a Z80 processor chip, 81k of onboard memory, internal digital cassette data drive, attached daisy wheel printer - also housing the power supply for the system; all interconnected with a series of separate processor chips in the cpu, keyboard, printer and data drive circuitry. When introduced by Coleco Industries, the system was ready to use right out of the box; whether you bought the stand alone version or the version that attached to your existing ColecoVision game. The computer system included an built-in word processor, a blank storage tape, and a game tape - Buck Rogers.[/QUOTE]

Our monitor was the TV Set. oh how i loved Buck Rogers, at least until my younger sibling, opened the cassette (yes it was on a cassette) drive and blanked the disk.

The next was a Commodore 128. With the dot matrix printer an 5.5" floppy disk drive.

After that was a Tandy 286. Running at a whopping 33 megahertz. This machine was top-of-the line. It held a huge 100 mb hdd, and a 3.25 drive. We spent the extra 500 for a cd-rom, and an extra 2000 for 8 more megs of ram, giving it a total of 16 megs.

ahhhh the good ole days.......:laugh:

Yep... i remember my first computer

My first computer I started playing at 3 years old (i'm almost 18 now - you do the math =P ) Mickeys ABC's Kings Quest, Indiana Jones, man those were the days. Back then we didnt have any sound (and paying 300 for speakers wasent really my dads plan) so you can imagine the excitement when we got our new computer.

Not only did it have sound, but it had a WHOLE meg of ram it it!!! My dad thought he wasted his money because he didnt think that anything would ever NEED a whole meg of ram...

We laughed about it the other day because I just bought over 1000 megs
tounge.gif

I remember one day I accidently hit the wrong button and suddenly I was looking at a black screen with
c:\ on it. Anything I typed in it said "BAD COMMAND OR FILE NAME" so I spent about 4 hours that day trying to get it to say ANYTHING but that. It was my new game, my new goal in life.

Then finally, one sunny evening it finally said "ABORT, RETRY, FAIL?" I screamed in suprise and celebrated.

So when I start writting essays for college here in a few months and they say "Tell us about a time when your accomplished a goal"
i'll say "well let me tell you..."

Well if we are going super retro... I had a commodore 64 with a Tape Drive AND a CD DRIVE... Which i then upgraded to a COmmodore Amiga 500.. with 1mb RAM expansion and 3 floppy drives... oh yeh.. so 1337

Plankeye - I had to send in for the 256 color games, not 16 color. My monitor didn't even support 256 colors back then. It was EGA!

sad.gif

lol you silly americans... everyone knows computer gaming achieved perfection with Sensible Soccer v1.1 on the commodore Amiga 500/600 in late 1990. All other games pale into significance.

o_O man I think ya'll lost me I remember the greatest game I played on the first computer was like some vertical scrolling space game [&gt;_&lt;]

[b said:
Quote[/b] (phasetim @ July 26 2004,6:22)]Kidan--- still wont let me live down the whole cassette thing eh lol:p
of course not. Buck Rogers rocked as a game, an u had to ruin it
tounge.gif

I had a commodore 64, which had an internal cartridge drive. It was just a keyboard, with all the computer inside it. It hooked up via the UHF connection on the back of our TV, with those "U" shaped prongs that you had to screw down to make the connection. We also had an external 5.25" FDD and an external cassette tape drive with a fun typing tutor game. I did my first programming on that bad boy, in BASIC. Does anyone remember having to number your lines of code and not having to use semi-colons at the end of every line?

10 Print "Home"
20 Print "Sweet"
30 Goto 10

tounge.gif

espresso, yeah i did my first programming on basic just taht way. good times.

we had a Commodore Vic20, witht he internal cartridge drive like that
smile.gif

I had some goofy thing with a monochrome display. I can't remember the exact specs of it...but I do remember using it to play a game called castle. You had to "Park" the computer to turn it off. I really wish I had that thing laying around. The oldest computer we have in our house is the 486dx with the ~600mb hard disk. I'll have to ask my dad about that old computer.

Back