Mormonism - LDS Church

Odale

With the current political climate within the US, it doesn't seem to bother many traditional, hard-core Christians that the next President of the US could be a Mormon - a follower of a belief that many Christians consider a cult.

So, what does God say about Mormonism.

Funny you should raise that question - this morning I posted in my church email this link. It is not what God has to say - but it is what a number of Christian leaders have to say.

Should the Billy Graham EA have removed Mormonism from their list of cults?

Render to Caesar that which is Caesar's and to God that which is God's. Loose paraphrase, I know.

President of the US is a secular position. My favorite Pres. was most likely not a Christian except in name. My least favorite president is one of the greatest Christian's I have read or seen minister. (Reagan & Carter)

As far as the BGEA- I think we all could use a better definition of cult. How one defines cult will determine my stance on it. Judging by the below definitions even the BGEA is a cult.

Definition of CULT

1: formal religious veneration : worship
2: a system of religious beliefs and ritual; also : its body of adherents
3: a religion regarded as unorthodox or spurious; also : its body of adherents
4: a system for the cure of disease based on dogma set forth by its promulgator <health cults>
5 a : great devotion to a person, idea, object, movement, or work (as a film or book); especially : such devotion regarded as a literary or intellectual fad
b : the object of such devotion
c : a usually small group of people characterized by such devotion

Funny you should raise that question - this morning I posted in my church email this link. It is not what God has to say - but it is what a number of Christian leaders have to say.

Should the Billy Graham EA have removed Mormonism from their list of cults?

That was pretty bad that they removed it from their list. Did it stop being a cult all of a sudden? (aka, does God's Word change?) http://thegospelcoalition.org/blogs...ams-website-removes-mormonism-from-cult-list/

Bunch of issues swirling around this and I agree with OP that it is odd that as a political tribe most evangelicals are rallying around a Mormon vs. a professing Christian, Obama. (see article above as well)

So what does God's Word say about Mormonism? I fall on Paul in Galatians. If anyone preaches to you a gospel different than the one you received then let them be accursed. If it is a works salvation based on twisted scripture then it is a false gospel. If it's faith alone in Christ God's death and resurrection on the cross for salvation then it's good.

So what does God's Word say about Mormonism? I fall on Paul in Galatians. If anyone preaches to you a gospel different than the one you received then let them be accursed. If it is a works salvation based on twisted scripture then it is a false gospel. If it's faith alone in Christ God's death and resurrection on the cross for salvation then it's good.

I agree. Another gospel - works - anything more than faith in Christ - then it is not the faith of the Bible.

I agree with all here so far. Even if I do not agree with the President's religion it does not mean I should not vote for him. If anything it is still a good thing as Mormons will tend to protect the same religious freedoms that I desire.
Also Paul's statement about another gospel is right on the money here with Mormonism, in my opinion.

I am more disturbed by the fact that the BGEA would change a position based on polictal expedience rather than the specifics of what it said about Mormonism. Depending upon the point of view, Christianity could be considered a cult (true Christianity tends to fun afoul of the dominant culture).

However, related to the subject Ed Stetzer posted and interesting article on his blog last week. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_military_deployments

God's teaching on false prophets (John Smith and Brigam Young) and false gospels is pretty clear. That being said, I would vote for a man of values and conscience even if I think he follows a false teaching before I would vote for a person whose values and philosophy take our nation in a direction I do not support.

Bunch of issues swirling around this and I agree with OP that it is odd that as a political tribe most evangelicals are rallying around a Mormon vs. a professing Christian, Obama. (see article above as well)

Just to be clear, "professing Christian" doesn't really mean much of anything. Look at his views, his actions, and you don't see a Christian. Ethically, Romney seems to be closer than Obama to traditional "Christian" views.

If you vote purely on "Christianity" you wouldn't be voting for either candidate, as neither would fit the bill.

I'm voting for President, not for my next spiritual adviser. No conflict of conscience as I would not reach out to either man for spiritual advice.

Just to be clear, "professing Christian" doesn't really mean much of anything. Look at his views, his actions, and you don't see a Christian. Ethically, Romney seems to be closer than Obama to traditional "Christian" views.

Thank God though we don't subscribe to moral deism as our religion. I also think it's suspect that we slander a fellow brother (Obama) all in the name of Fox News / Republicanism.
I wonder if someone after looking at a snapshot of my life and actions if they would say I'm a Christian. Anyways, I'm rambling off topic, but for me it's the Lord's job to judge. If someone is sinning then we have a Biblical framework to handle that. Just because someone doesn't believe the same way we do doesn't mean they are not saved.

[video=youtube;VxEbxMcPwZU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxEbxMcPwZU[/video]

"That if you confess with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved." Romans 10:9

Don't get me wrong. I don't agree with Obama's policies and handling of many many issues, but it doesn't mean he isn't a Christian and doesn't love Jesus. Just ponder that.

Last edited:
I would question any "christian" who supports murdering unborn children.

I don't think any candidate supports killing children. And I'm with you. Abortion is evil. However, it's legal in the USA. So who's going to do something about that? I don't think Mitt will. http://www.bostonglobe.com/opinion/...tion-muddle/r17rZMdK7AyttwRPGmoUeP/story.html I think he probably makes it sound like he will because that is what will get him elected.

I just thought about this and it's a weird thought... if you want to pray for our president and our leader to be convicted to follow the truth. Do you want to pray for a leader whom has the Holy Spirit living in his life? Or a guy who doesn't? Obviously we want the former, but we don't see things clearly oftentimes. We judge the surface. We judge ethics.

(Getting back on topic. Woot woot!) If good ethical standards got us into heaven then Jesus's death on the cross is meaningless. Thank God we serve a King whose followers include:

1. murdering adulterous kings (David)
2. violent rule mongering hypocrites (Peter)
3. pre-meditated murdering worst sinner of all time (Paul)

What infinitely offensive the grace of God is.

I question the notion that supporting the murder of unborn children is impossible for God to handle.

I myself have felt sad on occasion when I hear people invalidating Obama's Christianity on the basis of his political beliefs. He's a president, not a pastor... He's not trying to lead the church, but rather to shepherd a bunch of lost (and some found) sheep of many colors, shapes, and sizes to the best of his abilities.

I feel that it is not the role of the Christian to throw stones, but to spread the hope that we have in Jesus.

Calling Obama an invalid Christian makes me feel like an invalid Christian myself. I don't support Obama on abortion, but I do affirm everything he says in the above video.

I also pray that God guides American Christians in the upcoming election. I believe that a President that will call upon the Lord in the nation's darkest hours is a blessing that cannot be measured. I fervently hope that as America votes, they do not throw away a Christian President in favor of one who follows a false gospel, but wears the clothes of one who cares for the will of God.

To be honest, I'm not 100% sure which of the two candidates is which in the above sentence.

So... long story short, PLEASE set aside the issues when you vote. Instead, fast and pray and obey.

My question wasn't pertaining to God's opinion (that might be a poor word choice) about the President of a secular Government being Mormon, it was more directed at why hard-core, "Bible-thumping" Christians lean towards a Mormon, rather than a professing Christian (as Lloren said).

I apologize if that was unclear.

As far as the BGEA- I think we all could use a better definition of cult. How one defines cult will determine my stance on it. Judging by the below definitions even the BGEA is a cult.

Definition of CULT

1: formal religious veneration : worship
2: a system of religious beliefs and ritual; also : its body of adherents
3: a religion regarded as unorthodox or spurious; also : its body of adherents
4: a system for the cure of disease based on dogma set forth by its promulgator <health cults>
5 a : great devotion to a person, idea, object, movement, or work (as a film or book); especially : such devotion regarded as a literary or intellectual fad
b : the object of such devotion
c : a usually small group of people characterized by such devotion

Definition of a cult in this circumstance: A group that professes policies and teachings that are largely and directly against the written scripture or teachings of a vetted and accepted group with which they align themselves.

Last edited:
Let me go one step further:

In the thread below this one ("What is the most important issue facing the church today?") two of the options were "Gay Marriage" and "False Teaching."

Of the admittedly small sample of responses we got...

Gay Marriage: 0 people thought it was most important.
False Teaching: 15 people thought it was most important. It was considered the #1 issue.

Obama: pro Gay Marriage. Purportedly pro Abortion. Calls himself a Christian.
Romney: Mormon. See "False Teaching."

Which is the bigger issue?

My question wasn't pertaining to God's opinion (that might be a poor word choice) about the President of a secular Government being Mormon, it was more directed at why hard-core, "Bible-thumping" Christians lean towards a Mormon, rather than a professing Christian (as Lloren said).
Because one seeks to promote principles I agree with and the other has worked very hard to destroy those principles. It has nothing to do with their "religion". Jimmy Carter was voted for by many believers because he was a "Christian". I think his record speaks for itself.

Obama: pro Gay Marriage. Purportedly pro Abortion. Calls himself a Christian.
Romney: Mormon. See "False Teaching."

Which is the bigger issue?
Thinking gay marriage and abortion are okay tells me there is a bit of false teaching coming from Obama as well. As I said, I'm not electing a spiritual adviser. Perhaps you should put up a poll on the greatest issues facing our nation today. . .

Last edited:
Regarding abortion, this needs to be said.

As someone who was almost aborted, and then subsequently almost left to die after birth (too long to go into details here), I must say that I can never and will never support a candidate that is in favor of abortion. This is my personal view.

Now speaking from a Biblical point of view, I really must say that regardless of the terms used in speech or the various opinions of some, abortion is still the killing of human life (aka Murder). The Bible is full of places where "unborn children" (as in the womb, conceived) are mentioned, and God Himself speaks of it in several places. Genesis 25:21-23 is a good starting point to read for the curious ones.

Last edited:
Thank God though we don't subscribe to moral deism as our religion. I also think it's suspect that we slander a fellow brother (Obama) all in the name of Fox News / Republicanism.

I find it funny that you automatically assume "Republican" or "Fox News".

I look at the actions of the man, the words that he has spoken, the record he has as a politician. Nothing I see from the man says "Christian". His actions, his words, his views, his voting record; that is why I question his "Christianity" .

"... believe in your heart... you will be saved." Romans 10:9

Don't get me wrong. I don't agree with Obama's policies and handling of many many issues, but it doesn't mean he isn't a Christian and doesn't love Jesus. Just ponder that.

You can CLAIM to be anything you want, it doesn't make it so. His being pro partial birth abortion (you know, killing a child that was already being born), his being "pro gay", his constant lies, his constant defense of islam (I'm not calling him a muslim), while going against christian values. The fact that the "pastor" of his "church" that was very "influential" in his life preaches anti-christian messages (Jesus would NOT say the things that man has said) brings to question his "Christianity."

When everything you do, be it for a job, or personally, contradicts what the Bible (that you claim to follow) states, then I will definitely question your "Christianity"

Because one seeks to promote principles I agree with and the other has worked very hard to destroy those principles. It has nothing to do with their "religion". Jimmy Carter was voted for by many believers because he was a "Christian". I think his record speaks for itself.

Thinking gay marriage and abortion are okay tells me there is a bit of false teaching coming from Obama as well. As I said, I'm not electing a spiritual adviser. Perhaps you should put up a poll on the greatest issues facing our nation today. . .

I'm voting for the person who will lead our country. As stated, I'm not voting for a religious leader. I am voting based on record, based on history, based on evidence. I am voting based on what I think will be best for our COUNTRY. I am not blind enough to vote purely based off the claim of one candidate on their religion.

To vote against Romney purely due to his mormon faith, without looking at what he would do for the country seems ignorant. (I don't mean to offend anyone. If I offend you, I'm sorry, it is not my intentions.) If you look at their record, see what they have done, see how they have lived their lives, see who their friends are, see what their influences in life are, and you still think that Obama is the better candidate, then by all means, vote for him.

However, if you are voting purely on the CLAIMED religious affiliation of the candidate I think you need to look more into their actions (which if the claimed candidate was Christian, you should know by his history).

I am NOT pro Romney, however, I don't believe our country can last another 4 years with the current president.

Back