GFC Proverbs Challenge (November)

Proverbs 24:30-31 I went by the field of the slothful, and by the vineyard of the man void of understanding; And, lo, it was all grown over with thorns, and nettles had covered the face thereof, and the stone wall thereof was broken down.

It is not uncommon to see someone trying to achieve something important to them put all of their being into that achievement only to become confused and dismayed later on watching that thing fall apart before their eyes simply because they did not think to budget some of themselves for the necessary maintenance afterwards. It can be tempting to feel wronged somehow by this when we consider things in terms of what we put into them or what sacrifices we made for the sake of it, but the unavoidable truth is that everything substantial, be it material, spiritual, vocational, relationship, or whatever, has a real maintenance cost that must continue to be paid in order to preserve that thing long after the initial acquisition has been made. If something is important to us we must be sure to budget for its long term loving care or we will suffer watching its inevitable decay and loss.

If you are weak in a crisis, you are weak indeed. Proverbs 24:10 (TEV)

The crises of life show our character for what it truly is - weak or strong.

Proverbs 23:4 said:
4. Do not wear yourself out to get rich; have the wisdom to show restraint.

Don't go overboard for money. Its not worth it.

Proverbs 24:5 said:
5. A wise man has great power, and a man of knowledge increases strength;

Something we all desire. Power and Strength. Well, at least I do.

If your enemy is hungry, give him food to eat; if he is thirsty, give him water to drink. In doing this, you will heap burning coals on his head, and the Lord will reward you. Proverbs 25:21-22 (NIV)

How to deal with a troublesome person - be nice. God takes care of the rest.

Proverbs 21: 2 All the ways of a man seem right to him, but the LORD evaluates the motives.

We need to consider that what we are doing may not be right.

Proverbs 22: 8 The one who sows injustice will reap disaster, and the rod of his fury will be destroyed.

Proverbs 23: 9 Don't speak to a fool, for he will despise the insight of your words.

This would probably save a lot of time

Proverbs 23: 12 Apply yourself to instruction and listen to words of knowledge.

and, if I may....I really did not want to put forth the effort to get caught up on these verse. I had to make myself sit down and do it. I am really glad I did

Proverbs 24: 10 If you do nothing in a difficult time, your strength is limited.

Gotta work those muscles and build them up.

Proverbs 25: 14 The man who boasts about a gift that does not exist
is like clouds and wind without rain.

All fluff and no substance

Proverbs 25:1 said:
1. These are more proverbs of Solomon, copied by the men of Hezekiah king of Judah:

Think about that. These guys were commissioned by the king to keep Solomon's words for us. I imagine they were pretty careful and loyal to their jobs. (Probably pretty cushy due to the nature of their work) How often do we let ourselves slip in our jobs? Do we still take the time to make sure that everything is done to the best of our abilities?

Like one who seizes a dog by the ears is a passer-by who meddles in a quarrel not his own. Proverbs 26:17 (NIV)

The imagery in this proverb always gets me - someone who grabs the ears of a dog. If the dog isn't mad yet - he will be. and then you are stuck. You are going to get bit. You may avoid it for a while but eventually you are going to get bit.

The same is true when you get mixed up in a quarrel you didn't start - you can't resolve - and it doesn't concern you. You are going to get bit.

As a face is reflected in water, so the heart reflects the real person. Proverbs 27:19 (NLT)

This is why we are told: Above all else, guard your heart. Proverbs 4:23 (NIV)

A scary verse today:

If anyone turns a deaf ear to the law, even his prayers are detestable. Proverbs 28:9 (NIV)

In case that was not clear enough:

If you refuse to obey what you have been taught, your prayers will not be heard. Proverbs 28:9 (NCV)

or:

God has no use for the prayers of the people who won't listen to him. Proverbs 28:9 (MSG)

Proverbs 26: 4 Don't answer a fool according to his foolishness, (G)
or you'll be like him yourself.

5 Answer a fool according to his foolishness, (H)
or he'll become wise in his own eyes.

Don't stoop down to someone else's level when dealing with them, make them come up to yours. And don't compromise your standards when dealing with an issue.

Proverbs 27: 17 Iron sharpens iron,
and one man sharpens another

Just be careful which "man" is chosen to sharpen another

Proverbs 28:14 Happy is the one who is always reverent, (T)
but one who hardens his heart falls into trouble.

I needed this one this morning.

Proverbs 28:21 To have respect of persons is not good: for for a piece of bread that man will transgress.

This is a strong verse of warning if one will comtemplate it. It is very possible for a person to falsely believe that they or someone else has achieved a certain level of righteousness that they really haven't just because they haven't yet been tested in desperate circumstances.

Proverbs 26:1 said:
1. Like snow in summer or rain in harvest, honor is not fitting for a fool.

Honor given to one who doesn't deserve it will ruin anything good.

Proverbs 27:1 said:
1. Do not boast about tomorrow, for you do not know what a day may bring forth.

Don't make promises that you may not be able to keep.

Proverbs 28:2 said:
2. When a country is rebellious, it has many rulers, but a man of understanding and knowledge maintains order.

This one got me thinking about the current state of our country. Slowly we have slipped from the obediance we once had and we as a nation have become more rebellious so we constantly have more and more rulers over us...

Proverbs 29:12 If a ruler hearken to lies, all his servants are wicked.

You have to be careful about the counsel you keep. Even if you mean only to do good, if you make faulty actions due to trusting bad information, not only you but also those who trust in you will be held guilty for the consequences.

Where there is no vision, the people perish: but he that keepeth the law, happy is he. Proverbs 29:18 (KJV)

This is often used as a vision passage - gut vision is a bit of a misnomer here. The idea behind the verse is better reflected in the New Living Translation:

When people do not accept divine guidance, they run wild. But whoever obeys the law is joyful. Proverbs 29:18 (NLT)

How true.

Back