Wise up.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (MaxX @ June 19 2003,10:13)]"We all know the Bible was not written by the person Jesus intended it to be written by, so we all know there are mistakes in it. And we all know that the Bible contradicts itself."

lol

Seriously, that's sad. It's really sad.

<walks away snickering>
Maxx, please take that down, I think he came here so his questions could be answered without him being harrassed.  This is an opertunity to share your faith not make fun of people.  

God won't accept you because of who he is.  God is love, God is compassion, but God is also Holy and pure.  So pure, that what we do wrong is so detestable in his eyes that we cannot be in his presence.  Everyone is a sinner, (Romans 3:23 For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.)  And there is only one punishment for sin- death.  (Romans 6:23 For the wages of sin is death but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord)  In old testament times, the Jewish people would make sacrifices of animals in atonement for their sins.  They prophesied a messiah would come, and pay for the sins of everyone.  Christians believe that the messiah was Jesus.  And only through his death our sins are paid for, not by anything else.  This is not just saying that we believe it, it is following him.  Matthew 17:24-25  "Then Jesus said to his deciples, "If Anyone wants to come after me he must deny himself and take up his cross and follow me.  For whoever wants to save his life will lose it but whoever loses his life for me will find it"

[b said:
Quote[/b] (SAGAN @ June 19 2003,8:47)]Then prehaps I dont want to goto God, if God will not accept me for loving his children, then he does not deserve to have me. I will also not goto hell because I am not evil or have done anything bad.
well God writes the rules we can't go to heaven or hell because we say we can. God inspired the Bible, so many authors and they all go together nicely. Many fufilled prophecies. It's mroe than your average book. In that book tells how to get to Heaven. Romans 10:9 is the verse you're looking for

Why is it so incomphrenisible to people that there exists an excluse religion?  Why do people see this as so bad?  There is 1 way to heaven and that is through the grace of Christ.  Not anything we do here on this earth, with the one exception of acknowledging Christ as our Lord and Savior.  This is not a hard concept.  This is not a confusing concept.  But this is HOW IT IS.

Sagan (answering posts from newest to oldest )
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Then prehaps I dont want to goto God, if God will not accept me for loving his children, then he does not deserve to have me. I will also not goto hell because I am not evil or have done anything bad.
God does accept you, but at the same time you HAVE to accept Him.  If YOU don't accept Christ, then Christ cannot claim you as one of His at the judgement.  You say that you won't go to Hell because you are not evil nor have you done anything bad.  I'm here to tell you that, that does not matter.  You will go to Hell merely for not accepting Christ.  We have all sinned and fallen short.  Little lies, halftruths to our parents and friends, flat out rebellion from what our parent's taught us.  These and more, while not considered 'evil' by the world's standards, are still sin.  And we have all done them.  Hell will be filled with Good, decent people, who refused to accept Christ.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]But the credit does not got elsewhere, or to some other false God. Maybe in the case of some other religeons, but not Buddhism.
If you are worshiping God already, why not go ahead and give your life to Christ?

I'm sorry, but whoever told you that you are on a "Path to Evil" is wrong in one sense (I'm assuming you're Budhist due to the fact that most of your arguements against Christianity involve Budhism).  As you say, Budhism is a religion that loves peace, they teach that you are to treat others nicely.  Yet you are on a path to Hell.  Christianity explicitly says that the ONLY way to escape the punishement for sin is to accept Christ as our Lord and Saviour.  To not accept Him, is a certain ticket to Hell.  As even yourself stated earlier, Budhism teaches that all religions are acceptable, as long as they teach basically to "be kind to others"  it is inclusive in its stances, it accepts the words of Christ as truth, so why not accept the words of Christ in the fact that He is the way to eternal life.  Give your life to Him, read (and more importantly learn what it means) the Bible.  If I'm wrong, you still acheive a good life for Budhism. Yet if I'm right, what awaits you?  Christianity, while open to all, is exclusive in that you must accept before salvation is granted.

hmm..instead of brain in that example, a better word would probably be 'intellect'  
to make the example read

HAve you ever seen your intellect?
Have you ever felt your intellect?
Are you sure you have an intellect?

heh, that reminds me of the quote in SW ep. I "The ability to speak does not make you intelligent"

We are taught to not be jealous?  Depends on the jealousy.  We are taught to not desire what does not belong to us.  We are taught to not let jealousy blossom into rage.  Yet I am quite jealous of my wife's attention.  I am quite jealous of my wife's love.  It should be directed at me as part of our marriage covenant, therefore I am jealous of it, I am protective of it.  As with most emotions, there exists a good beneficial aspect of the emotion, and there exists a harmful aspect of hte emotion.

Sorry if its confusing because there are too many people trying to help you

When I read the first post, I knew I wouldn't have to answer, because Kidan would take care of it..and he came through again ;D

Anyways, please, as CCGR said, feel free to ask questions. (Sorry I got into this discussion so late..haven't checked the boards lately).

Also, you may feel free to IM me (aol/aim)..my s/n is Gecko670

God bless

I dont understand things like this, how can you know what the real truth is, if there are contradictions?

I'm not saying there is no God, I accept that Christians, Jews, etc.. belive in God. And accept that if he exists, then he exists. I just choose not to live by the Bible.
I used to be Christian myself, but I just didn't understand how I could follow something that never explained itself. My questions could never be properly answered. So I had to seek something that was able to explain itself, but not rule out others beliefs.

While the Bible is the inspired Word of God. You must remember that it is still written by the hand of man.  The Gospels are the accounts of 3 apostles, and the story as told to Luke.  I would be more suspicious if there were no minor contradictions (such as the color of His robe (Matt. says scarlett, John says purple, though really, a deep scarlett could almost be purple, and if one or the other was a tad colorblind, they would have seen the wrong color.) but anyways, we'll take a number of these things and look at what they say

Judas:  Judas died by hanging himself,   Yet who is to say that afterwards, he could have slipped from the tree, and would have assuredly burst open if he had been hanging a day or two.

Jesus' promise to the thief.  Why is this one a contradiction?  We believe the Godhead to be omnipresent.

Paul's conversion  This could just have been a mistake on Paul's part as he tells this portion of the story.  OR there could have been some who heard and some who didn't.  Yet in the end, it's like asking the difference of whether a criminal was wearing a red shirt with white stripes, and a white shirt with red strips.

Salvation by Grace or works We are saved by grace, but our faith is evidenced by the works that we do.  For without the works, then the faith is dead, and without the faith, the works are pointless.  I personally find it interesting that they actually misquoted the Bible here to make their point.
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Contrad Website @ June 19 2003,11:57)] (James 2:14 NRSV) What good is it, my brothers and sisters, if you say you have faith but do not have works? Can faith save you?
Should read:
[b said:
Quote[/b] (www.bible.org @ June 19 2003,11:57)]2:14 What good is it, my brothers and sisters, if someone claims to have faith but does not have works? Can this kind of faith save him?
See the difference?

Son's of Abraham  This is not a contradiction per se.  While it is true, Abraham had two sons, Abraham also only had one son.  Isaac was the son of the promise, and the son of Abraham's actual wife.  Ishmael was the son of basically not waiting on God.  There are many families even today, where the husband  might have a son with another woman, but his SON is the child that his wife has born him.

Christ's transfiguration  This is slightly pointless.  Luke was not an apostle.  He was more of a biographer a few years later,  he did not actually witness these events, rather he recorded what others told him as the Gospel of Luke.  besides, six days, is about eight days.

Christ's robe color See up above

Christ carries His cross  Who's to say that John saw it all?  the road to golgotha is quite long, especially after having been whipped 39 times by a cat-o-nine tails.  Matthew does not say that Christ didn't carry His cross, rather at some point it was given to someone else to carry the remainder of the way.  Could it be possible that John just didnot see this exchange occur?  Remember the followers of Christ weren't very popular by this point

Animals ridden in
[b said:
Quote[/b] ](Mat 21:7 NRSV) they brought the donkey and the colt, and put their cloaks on them, and he sat on *them*.

(Mark 11:7 NRSV) Then they brought the colt to Jesus and threw their cloaks on it; and he sat on *it*.
I think this is just an error somewhere translation wise.  I've truly never noticed and will have to do some research into it.  But the question that pops into my mind, how can someone sit on two animals at once?  I mean these are basically small horses here, how could he ride two?

What time was Christ crucified  
For this one i'm directly quoteing Gill's commentary
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]And about the sixth hour; to which agrees the account in Mat_27:45,  Luk_23:44 but Mar_15:25 says that "it was the third hour, and they crucified him"; and Beza says, he found it so written in one copy; and so read Peter of Alexandria, Beza's ancient copy, and some others, and Nonnus: but the copies in general agree in, and confirm the common reading, and which is differently accounted for; some by the different computations of the Jews and Romans; others by observing that the day was divided into four parts, each part containing three hours, and were called the third, the sixth, the ninth, and the twelfth hours; and not only that time, when one of these hours came, was called by that name, but also from that all the space of the three hours, till the next came, was called by the name of the former: for instance, all the space from nine o'clock till twelve was called "the third hour"; and all from twelve till three in the afternoon "the sixth hour": hence the time of Christ's crucifixion being supposed to be somewhat before, but yet near our twelve of the clock, it may be truly here said that it was about the sixth hour; and as truly by Mark the third hour; that space, which was called by the name of the third hour, being not yet passed, though it drew toward an end. This way go Godwin and Hammond, whose words I have expressed, and bids fair for the true solution of the difficulty: though it should be observed, that Mark agrees with the other evangelists about the darkness which was at the sixth hour, the time of Christ's crucifixion, Mar_15:33 and it is to be remarked, that he does not say that it was the third hour "when" they crucified him, or that they crucified him at the third hour; but it was the third hour, "and" they crucified him, as Dr. Lightfoot observes. It was the time of day when they should have been at the daily sacrifice, and preparing for the solemnity of that day particularly, which was their Chagigah, or grand feast; but instead of this they were prosecuting his crucifixion, which they brought about by the sixth hour. And about this time Pilate said, and did the following things:

How many horses, What age
ok.  does this matter??

Ceation stuff
The two stories are not mutually exclusive. It is two different tellings of the same activity.  They actually coincide quite nicely, and there is a thread on it in this forum somewhere.

hmm..this post is gettting long...Want more?

How can you accept that He exists, yet not accept His words? It's akin to saying I believe in air, but I think i'll stop breathing now. What questions were never properly answered? Ask and we shall answer. The Bible explains itself, and gives the roadmap quite clearly to Heaven. Just because it's not PC to say that there is only 1 way to Heaven does not make it any less true.

Just wondering, but does your view of "explanation" involve tangible "evidence?"... I'm curious. (reference to SAGAN's last post)

Look out side
laugh.gif
.Also I take the Bible as good evidence because the dead sea scrolls back up the Bible. Also,there is a historian that lived around the time of Jesus' death.I forgot what his name was but,he also backed up much of what is in the New Testiment and, he wasn't a christian.

P.S. I am praying for you.

I knew you would say "look outside", that dosen't prove anything to me. Apon reading my last post, I am not disputing that Jesus existed. Because the Bible had to come from somewhere.
But you dont know that God exists, or that Christianity is even the right religeon.
Of course your going to say it is, because you are one. I could say you would think it is the only right one, because your "narrow minded" but I wont go that far.
There are evidence of other "messengers" in the past, and other spiritual teachers, like Jesus. Yet Christianity is the only one of them that scares people into believing it, and believing that Jesus was the only one that existed.
How do you define them being fake, or wrong, when they have been around longer than Christianity.
How do you know that there is only one God, or one Heavan (one place to go after you die).

As said before, the Bible was written by the hand of man, you dont know how correct it is. It's been re-written many times over thousands of years.

And how do you explain the existance of dinosaurs? If Adam and Eve were the first beings created when God created the world. When did dinosaurs come in? Does the Bible explain that?

Also, you dont believe in evolution, but how do you explain nomads? there were a type of humanoid, until the human species eliminated them all.

dinosaurs co-existed with mankind. The book of Job refers to a behemoth.

Regarding human evolution where are the missing links..there have been so many false and doctored links. I dont believe we came from monkeys.

I believe in God because things are just so perfectly balanced with our planet and this universe. For everything to work out by "luck" is absurd.

Here is a great link with 40 reasons to believe.

http://www.reachingforchrist.org/apologetics/fallacies.html

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I could say you would think it is the only right one, because your "narrow minded" but I wont go that far.
Yet Christianity is the only one of them that scares people into believing it, and believing that Jesus was the only one that existed.
I take being narrow minded as a compliment.
Also, it seems to me that Islam really scares you into believing their religion. They believe in hell for unbelievers and also make a point to persecute nonbelievers in predominantly Muslim countries.
If you want to get into the evolution thing there is another thread for that.
btw.where is Ultima? I thought for sure he would post here.

Back