Warhammer 40k ToJ Chapter - Post Interest Here

Someone needs to make a XFire plug-in for Trillian. :p Is XFire more popular among the rest of the DoW players here since if everyone else just about has it I suppose I can go back to it.

Yeah, I agree on the trillian plugin. That would be slick.

What do you guys think about a little AI stomping tonight? (Friday 10/7) If we got at least 4 we could do a 4x4 team and if we have more then 4 we can try to make some balanced teams (skill-wise, i'm a total newbie) and play each other. Or heck, even a free for all! muahaha. Anything would help give me the practice I need.

I would prefer to play over a direct connection instead of Game Spy, if possible. We can share the host IP over X-fire. Nice thing about X-fire is that you can chat with it, while you are in the game.

Well, the wife and I went out on a date last night and didn't get home until almost midnight at which time we were exhausted. I'll probably play a little tonight and definitely expect me on Sunday night until late.

PS: I've been working on a website for us and will give a preview when it's close to what I'm going for.

I still need to download the patch. X_X :( Maybe I should just grab WA and save three weeks. :p Everyone else pretty much got it already?

So what's everyone else on XFire I suppse? Amusedtoe I be.

Do a search for "Xfire" and you'll find a complete ToJ Xfire ID thread. Add your name there, as well, if you don't mind.

See that would have been smart, not going to comment on why I didn't think of that. :rolleyes:

Edit- Ok you people are a horrible influence on me. ;) Managed to hold off on buying WA but now I'm probably going to order it off Newegg tommarow if no one has it in the ad papers tommarow.

Last edited:
I've done something new with my Xfire ID
I put it in my sig for all to see
I think this is helpful or is it just me
I think it makes finding each other's easy

The first person to bag on my little poem gets an unfriendly Bane Blade in their base. :D

Map pack download

WA is a meager $10 at Circuit City this week for anyone else that hasn't grabbed it yet.

Really?? Not here in CA. I called 2 CCs and neither carry the game :( bummer, guess I'll have to search around for a good price on Winter Assault.

Well I played a quick game with Arkanjel tonight, we stomped a computer at hard setting. Pretty easy actually for a 2v1.

I highly recommend downloading the 3 community map packs from this link. There are some great ones, and then we can all make sure to have a bunch of the same maps to work with.

Map Pack Link

Aye, I've had those for a while. Good quality stuff, though there's a couple pathing problems with some of 'em. No big though.

Man WA owns me hard. I was all decent like yesterday and now they went and changed my Eldar all around and I'm getting wiped on the middle setting. :( My beautiful Warp Spiders aren't even available to me early on anymore, have to build a lousy support portal first. Maybe I'll try the IG some more, was doing pretty well with them in my first go until I sat on my early units too long and go swarmed by what I think we're those new Mech Nobz or whatever.

That stinks that it's not on sale in Cali, especially since with the price match and Best Buy thing off my McDonalds last night I got it for under $7. :D You could always order it off their site, it's going to be a couple bucks more due to the shipping but still better then $20 or $30 at retail.

Though now that I go to link it for ya it's not on their site anymore when it was earlier today. o_O Hopefully it'll be back later for ya.

Is anyone else really disapointed with the packaging though? I mean I've generally been unhappy with it since they went to the small boxes, though I can go off on that for hours, but there's barely a manual in the box. How ridiculous is it to expect to at least get a 2 CD jewel case in a product that retails for $30. Especially when there's nothing in the box how can they justify cheaping out on paper sleeves. :mad:

Last edited:
Still looking!

Still trolling this thread, still anticipating picking up the game. Guys, I know this is sad, but I haven't beaten the DoW demo yet. In fact, I'm getting wiped hard by it. But I like the hard lessons i'm learning. I like the way you really need to separate out your troops in this game, and the way you push territory and tech-up simultaneously. I'm hoping y'all stay strong in this game so that there'll be a community when I arrive.

SlavidZee said:
But I like the hard lessons i'm learning. I like the way you really need to separate out your troops in this game, and the way you push territory and tech-up simultaneously.

A little advice for you on that strat. The "infantry" type troops are cheap, so make lots of them and reinforce them. Keep them in as big a group as possible. I think you can have 8 squads grouped together. That way you can reinforce them as they get wiped out instead of having a big mess of squads all intermingled and not knowing who is about to die. This game really comes down to a war of attrition sometimes so just keep throwing meat at the grinder and you will succeed. Make sure you take full advantage of your luitenants and other "hero" units they can really help you out. My last bit of advice, if you really want to whittle down an enemy squad fast, tech your squads up with flame throwers and send them into melee range combat, this will scatter the other guys with a quickness. :D

Off-topic:

amusedtoe said:
Is anyone else really disapointed with the packaging though? I mean I've generally been unhappy with it since they went to the small boxes, though I can go off on that for hours, but there's barely a manual in the box. How ridiculous is it to expect to at least get a 2 CD jewel case in a product that retails for $30. Especially when there's nothing in the box how can they justify cheaping out on paper sleeves. :mad:

If I had my way, everything would be DVD cases like in Europe or in the console world, or better, no packaging at all.

The old style "big box" packaging was such a waste of paper and space. It was an insult to the enviroment and it minimized shelf space for PC game retailers and room for developers trying to get their product into the stores. I just don't understand why it took so long for them to change over. For some reason people thought that they had to have big packaging to justify the money they were spending on PC software, but didn't seem to have that problem when buying a console game.

But really, do you need to have a lot of packaging to feel like you got your money's worth? It's a game, the "money" is all on the disc. And it's an expansion, it doesn't need a big manual because you know all the basics from the previous game, right?

On-topic: been enjoying the WA demo so far, I really love the voice work that Relic puts into their games. Everybody feels like a real character and not a automaton.

Shagz said:
The old style "big box" packaging was such a waste of paper and space. It was an insult to the enviroment and it minimized shelf space for PC game retailers and room for developers trying to get their product into the stores. I just don't understand why it took so long for them to change over. For some reason people thought that they had to have big packaging to justify the money they were spending on PC software, but didn't seem to have that problem when buying a console game.

But really, do you need to have a lot of packaging to feel like you got your money's worth? It's a game, the "money" is all on the disc. And it's an expansion, it doesn't need a big manual because you know all the basics from the previous game, right?

Well I think we deserve to at least get a jewel case so that the $30 discs don't get broken or scratched to unplayability in two weeks. DVD cases would probably be ideal until you run into something like Civilization that's got 800 pages of documentation, but I'd take it packaged in a trashable box for ease of storage. My problem is that publishers use the form factor as an excuse to squeeze every cent from us and convieniently give us less then was standard 10 years ago, and the change was supposed to ultimately save us money if anyone remembers correctly. Display space on PC games hasn't been helped either as in every retailer it's constantly shrinking in size, quantity and variety. You walk into an EB around here and the software composes one side of an entire three foot cart. Now that's progress. :p

I can probably count the number of games on my fingers since UT2003, one of the first small box games and had lousy paper sleeves, that I haven't had to go out and buy bloody cases for. Nope that doesn't irritate me at all. :cool:

Anyway sorry, WA is as was mentioned Winter Assault and DoW is Dawn of War. Forget I'm not on the DoW message boards sometimes when I start using all kinds of abbreviations for the game. :D

So how's the chapter approval going Slice? Also, when we do create this chapter, it's gonna need a name. What would you suggest?

Here's a preview of the website. I'm still working on the design and the content will follow. If you have visited the website in my sig, yes it is similar in appearance so far but the code is totally new and different. I'm working with divs on this one rather than tables. If we can come up with a name for ourselves, I'll add it into the header graphic and make it all purdy.

Don't need a special name since it's not a guild. It'll probably be called the Warhammer Chapter. That way it covers the new RTS coming out next year that is set in a different Warhammer universe (or time, or something).

Site looks awesome, man! Tek should be letting me know something very soon.

Back