Us why we're here.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Of course it does. Crack a science book (all Scientists realize this. NASA says the moon has a little bit of its own light. )....read Genesis the moon is called the "lesser light", not the "lesser reflector". HA ha its amazing how far a little bit of knowledge will take you.

Ok then since you seem to know, please explain how a giant rock floating in space creates light of its own.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Kohael <PC> @ Dec. 08 2002,3:12)] While it's certainly possible that the moon is intrinsically bright, some sort of reference will be required for us to believe that fact.

BTW, your "HA ha" is not endearing you to the greater board community.  I ask your patience with lesser beings such as we, who fail to comprehend your great wisdom.
I said that the moon has its own light. I did not say that it is the brightest thing in our solar system.
BTW Ha Ha is not meant to be demeaning so don't take it that way. It is meant to be reflective...pardon the pun. I am not writing to impress any greater board, but rather to support what science has known for years...namely that when science refused to believe that there was a civilization called the Hittites, they had to come back to say that yes indeed the Bible was right -GAIN. As was the case with so many other scientific claims, they are only as good as this years science book. Have you ever read a science book from 10 20 50 or 100 years ago? That is why they have to update every year. The Bible is true for all time. CHRISTIANS believe the Bible even in the face of last years scientific "discoveries".

See I made a post asking you to explain why the moon makes its own light, and you responded with a post about the Hittites. Its not true because you say it is, or because you say everyone else knows it but me. Please give me some evidence or at least some reasoning to support your statement.

"I said that the moon has its own light."
And I say it does not. Everything I find backs me up here. What do you know that I don't?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (MeanMrMustard @ Dec. 08 2002,3:18)]Ok then since you seem to know, please explain how a giant rock floating in space creates light of its own.
Thank you - Thank you. If you explain to me how a "GIANT ROCK is FLOATING IN SPACE", then explaining how it gives off light will be a breeze. The point here is that, if God can hang a Giant Rock in mid-air, then he can make it shine or spit or scratch its head. This is why Hebrews says that we understand these things about creation by Faith. Much like you accept that this Giant Rock is hanging in Space.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Kohael <PC> @ Dec. 08 2002,3:32)]"I said that the moon has its own light."
And I say it does not.  Everything I find backs me up here. What do you know that I don't?
Read your own posts...you said it possibly has its own light."While it's certainly possible that the moon is intrinsically bright"

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Kohael <PC> @ Dec. 08 2002,3:35)]But God does not make the giant rock in space shine.
SAYS YOU. But since your understanding is finite and the Word of God is NOT, I am inclined to believe HIM.

Ok so it makes light cause "god made it that way". Thanks I guess we are done here. For a second there I thought we were going to have an interesting discussion using actual facts and evidence to support scientific claims.

I said that only to be kind to you, and save myself face if you in fact, weren't making stuff up.

Now that I know that you are, I maintain that the moon does not generate it's own light, and that you are misinformed.

Back again, this post sure is popular.

Who's to say the bible isnt out dated??
Rumour has it that it was up dated throughout the centuries.

The moon reflects, it does not shine.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (MeanMrMustard @ Dec. 08 2002,3:39)]Ok so it makes light cause "god made it that way". Thanks I guess we are done here. For a second there I thought we were going to have an interesting discussion using actual facts and evidence to support scientific claims.
Look. Science and scientists used to believe that space travel was impossible because man cannot be outside of our atmosphere and live...they even thought that driving a car was too dangerous if you reached certain speeds...like over 20-30 MPH...THIS IS FACT Now we know better. Next year we hope that science will be even better. But did you know that next year the Word of God will be the same...unchanged and totally true. Now where do you put your faith? Science is shaky. God is true.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Kohael <PC> @ Dec. 08 2002,3:40)]I said that only to be kind to you, and save myself face if you in fact, weren't making stuff up.

It is hard to carry on an intelectually honest discussion with someone who is neither honest nor....

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Science and scientists used to believe that space travel was impossible because man cannot be outside of our atmosphere and live...they even thought that driving a car was too dangerous if you reached certain speeds...like over 20-30 MPH...THIS IS FACT Now we know better. Next year we hope that science will be even better. But did you know that next year the Word of God will be the same...unchanged and totally true. Now where do you put your faith? Science is shaky. God is true.

Thats all well and good, but before you said science books and NASA all agreed with you, which is a scientific claim. I challenged you on that scientific claim thinking that you may have some evidence to support you. You then changed your argument to making a claim based on faith, which is impossible to argue against. Either science agrees with you or science is usually dumb and doesn't have all the answers, which is it?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Kohael <PC> @ Dec. 08 2002,3:50)]So the moon does, in fact, generate it's own light?
Go to http://liftof.msfc.nasa.gov/Academy/UNIVERSE/MOON.HTML ,,,,, I can't believe this...its wayyy too easy. Here is the quote from that site....."Next to the sun, the full moon is the brightest object in the heavens." However, its surface is rough and brownish and reflects light very poorly. In fact, the moon is about the poorest reflector in the solar system. The amount of light reflected by a celestial object is called the albedo (Latin: albus, white). The moon relects only 7% of the sunlight that falls upon it, so the albedo is 0.07.
....So you see, it reflects poorly. It receives light and gives off light. By the way, where do you think the sun gets its light? hmmmm....

[b said:
Quote[/b] (MeanMrMustard @ Dec. 08 2002,3:54)]Thats all well and good, but before you said science books and NASA all agreed with you, which is a scientific claim. I challenged you on that scientific claim thinking that you may have some evidence to support you. You then changed your argument to making a claim based on faith, which is impossible to argue against. Either science agrees with you or science is usually dumb and doesn't have all the answers, which is it?
As with most people who do not want to put much time into thinking about an issue ...you must have feast or famine. I can accept true scientific facts...I know your question..."What is a true scientific fact?" It is one that agrees with truth. Pretty simple, eh?

Nowhere in the given quote is there any reference to the moon generating it's own light.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Kohael <PC> @ Dec. 08 2002,3:58)]Nowhere in the given quote is there any reference to the moon generating it's own light.
To be a bright object...the 2nd brightest in our area you must have light.

Um, I think the point of that NASA article was that the amount of light we see on the moon IS that 7% which is reflected. The sun is just that bright.

Back