The nature of good and evil

My, this thread shot off. Well anyways, to address a few things.. I believe that there is an objective 'set' or morals...but that is not to say that we will ever know exactly what they are. Nor am I saying that they are a rigid set of rules that we should all abide by. Morallity is far too nebulous an issue to be dealt with so doubtlessly. The main reason I am drawn to objective morallity is because other morallity theories imply that, prior to someone's decision, morallity is nonexistant. I'm presently reading a book on the topic..I must confess I don't fully understand the concept yet, so I suppose it would be wrong of me to state that I already believe in it, but I'll keep you posted.

What kind of question is that Byblos?

Let me ask you the same thing...how would you feel if you killed someone by accident?

Now how would you feel if you killed someone to save the lives of other people?

The world is rarely black and white. That is why morals and ethics change with society, it evolves alongside society.

Look at the horror that was wrought when the atomic bombs were dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki. If you were to just look at pictures of ground zero and the survivors one would be led to beleive that this was an immoral act. Yet this is not true. The decision to use these atomic bombs was a very moral one. Countless lives were saved, both American and Japanese, by not letting the war continue into 1946. It would have been a long, bloody island hopping campaign that would have lasted quite a long time.

Its a question in English.

If I killed someon by accident i would be devestated, If I was a US soldier and I killed the enemy I wouldnt feel too bad.

THe world isnt black and white, but God is.

I agree the A-bomb was the best thing, it ended the war instantly, which could have went on for years. War is a terrible thing.

Its about Morality is it not? and feeling bad for doing wrong is morality is it not?

Whats the matter ran out of nonsense to say?

The topic is about the nature of good and evil.

It's not about your feelings for doing wrong.

We're trying to discuss the origins of good and evil and how morality came about.

MOrality is doing what is right in the eyes Of GOd, He created Good but we are mostly bad. And usually our sick minds overpower the little good in us so much that we call bad good and good bad.

FOr example, The lord calls homosexuality a sin. But now epople are turning that around saying homosexuality is good!

The prophet Isaiah spoke of this, the time where everything turns backwards, the end times. In that one instant God removed his hand from the US the terrorsist did so much damage, now image what happens when ghe removees his hands for good? If this anti-godness keeps up he will do that.

And what about those people who did not know God.

What constituted their ideals of right and wrong.

Morality can be obtained without religion, or do you not agree with that?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]MOrality is doing what is right in the eyes Of GOd, He created Good but we are mostly bad. And usually our sick minds overpower the little good in us so much that we call bad good and good bad.

And witch burning, which was supported in the bible was was used by neighbors to get rid of old women who they didn't like. About 0.12% of all burnt witches on record actually was proven to be involved with ritualistic ocultism or some such thing. Was this doing good in the eys of God?

How, exactly, do you decide what is 'right in the eyes of God?' I'm afraid that opens up endless possibilities. People used Gods word in the bible to discriminate against Blacks. Also, they defended salvery at first using the bible, and mistreatment of women. Is this moral?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]FOr example, The lord calls homosexuality a sin. But now epople are turning that around saying homosexuality is good!

Byblos, I was entirely wrong about you. My best friend is gay, and he suffered terrible abuse, through threating letters and phonecalls when he tried to marry. Who was the instigator of this? A canon at a local church who tried (and failed) to dissuade them.

I simply cannot understand the mentality which allows this. If God (And don't deny this because you said yourself that God made us) makes homosexuals, why would he forbid them from having sex? Why make them at all?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]The prophet Isaiah spoke of this, the time where everything turns backwards, the end times. In that one instant God removed his hand from the US the terrorsist did so much damage, now image what happens when ghe removees his hands for good? If this anti-godness keeps up he will do that.

I fail to see how just by removing His hand, some terrorists decide to commit an atrocity. The US is still vastly a christian nation. Why such an awful punishment?

@ Dark Virtue....

YOu dont have to know God, He created you you dont create him! He created us with a little of him inside of us, but of course most of us are 99% human 1% what God wants us to be.

@Jim

Just because you use Gods name doesnt make it right obviously. we know they were wrong and so did many epople back then even. They are morons, God said all men are created equal and we all know that so God doesnt support racism.

He doesnt make you homosexual its a choice. Anyone can choose not to have sex at all. He crated man for woman, he can change if he wanted to instead of living by his sick impulse and lust.

He wanted to remind us that he is prootecting us the best way he could, and he succedeed.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Just because you use Gods name doesnt make it right obviously. we know they were wrong and so did many epople back then even. They are morons, God said all men are created equal and we all know that so God doesnt support racism.

Wrong, God did not make all men equal. People are born into abject povery while others are born into wealth. Others don't even survive birth, let alone live long enough to be equal to anyone.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]He doesnt make you homosexual its a choice. Anyone can choose not to have sex at all. He crated man for woman, he can change if he wanted to instead of living by his sick impulse and lust.

Have you ever asked a homosexual? Have you ever known one? Craig (my friend) never decided to love men. He grew up having crushes on guys and knew that there was something different between him and others. Don't say things on assumption, because homosexuality is very rarely a lifestlye choice.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]He wanted to remind us that he is prootecting us the best way he could, and he succedeed.

I asked why 9/11 was used on a nation that is still by and large a mostly Christian nation, with more sects and schisms of Christianty than any other nation on Earth. Yet he reminded such a place that he is protecting them?

ALl men are created equal, Whites are not greater then blacks, chinese are not lesser then japanese.... Not everyone has the same situation duh but no race is superiour to another.

Hes choosing to give into temptation, He has control over his actions.

Yes, because we were and are still falling away form God.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]ALl men are created equal, Whites are not greater then blacks, chinese are not lesser then japanese.... Not everyone has the same situation duh but no race is superiour to another.

lol, I thought God consistently told us the Isrealites were his favorite people? Didn't he instruct them to kill everyone who had different beliefs and 'not to learn and understand them?'

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Hes choosing to give into temptation, He has control over his actions.

And you would know this, how?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Yes, because we were and are still falling away form God.

So why didn't something similar happen to Russia or China?

They are still equal. Same way into heaven same way into hell. THey are human and equal.

I am attracted to females, I can control if I do something with them and If it was a sin to do so, which it is in my case I would resist it to the best of my ability, not let it become my lifestyle.

Russia and China isnt the largest Christian population, if that happened to them, God would not cross their minds. In China bibles are illegal and Russia is chaos.

"YOu dont have to know God, He created you you dont create him! He created us with a little of him inside of us, but of course most of us are 99% human 1% what God wants us to be."

Thank you for NOT answering the question. You are stating that God creates and sets morality, but I am asserting that there have been plenty of civilizations that have existed without knowing the God of the Bible and still had a code of ethics and morality. Your reply does NOTHING to explain how these other cultures have been able to set a code of ethics.

Ask the baby that was born with crack in it's system if God created him equal to a healthy baby. Ask the baby that was born with a debilitating disease if he was created equal to a healthy baby.

Back