Suffering (Splinter from Satanism thread)

"If I, as a being of limited intellect, can imagine a world of perfection, with free will and all that good stuff, shouldn't it stand to reason that an omnimax being could also imagine it?"

Point is, the omnimax being's imagination is infinitely beyond the imagination of a being of limited intellect. Infinitely; INFINITELY! We can't imagine what being infinite IS LIKE, let alone imagine what a being of infinite intellect is thinking!

Finite knowledge cannot imagine (or even extrapolate) what infinite knowledge is.

You can't draw a perfect circle with straight lines. In appearance you can get reeeeeeally close, but you're still infinitely away from making each part of the circle perfectly curved to that of a circle.

In the same way, to a "being of limited intellect", as you said, things may seem contradictory and make no sense. To an omnimax being, wouldn't you think He knows what He's doing? Honestly, do you think words (from Genesis or wherever) can define and measure out God accurately? God created the mind that makes words!

The Bible says God is omniscient. Well, if He can design and create both life and a universe, omniscience is not too hard for Him.
The Bible says God is omnipotent. He made our minds that attempt to grasp the idea of what power is. God made this universe. He can tinker any part of it if He really wants.
The Bible says God is Omnibenevolent. Ok, so there's suffering, and God let it be so. Could it be that God loves us so much that He allowed us to choose for ourselves whether we wanted the perfect world of Eden or the Earth we live in now, even though he knows what we were going to choose? That's called TOO MUCH free will in some definitions!

It's beyond any human explaining or reasoning or words. That's why God called Himself "I AM WHO I AM." If He revealed all that He is to us, we would go nuts and die, since it's too much for any human to handle.

He's the ultimate, perfect, and infinite contradiction. Ever since the beginning of humanity (regardless of theory behind what the beginnning really is like) God has been the question, and even now, our discussion here has proved that God still IS the question, and until Humanity is no more, God WILL be the question.

So why believe in this God that allows suffering and yet claims to be all that He is?
Words have failed to describe God and His actions. Why can't FAITH be an answer?

Last edited:
Paradise is not beyond human comprehension - if God made us intelligent then that means he wanted us to reason. If he gave us freewill then that means he intended for us to choose. The choice he gave us was eternal paradise or eternal damnation.

This is not a hard choice, all of us are bright enough to comprehend eternal pain versus eternal paradise.

But the rest of it gets in the way. The rest of the contradictory scripture, the conflicting declarations. The system is one that I can imagine, but it's also one that I can see as being inherently unfair. The dice are loaded and the rules skewed.

Perhaps the dice are loaded for a reason. If the punishment was no greater than the reward why would we need the freedom to choose.

Why are we being made to play a game blindfolded without knowledge of the rules? Why does the punishment need to be greater than the reward? Why does there need to be a punishment, why not simply exclusion and isolation?

Azzie said:
"If I, as a being of limited intellect, can imagine a world of perfection, with free will and all that good stuff, shouldn't it stand to reason that an omnimax being could also imagine it?"

Point is, the omnimax being's imagination is infinitely beyond the imagination of a being of limited intellect. Infinitely; INFINITELY! We can't imagine what being infinite IS LIKE, let alone imagine what a being of infinite intellect is thinking!

I don't believe this is exactly so. We may not be able to think in an infinite capacity, but we can comprehend the idea of infinity. I think we all understand what infinity is, don't we? Even if it's a finite capacity.

Finite knowledge cannot imagine (or even extrapolate) what infinite knowledge is.

I can imagine what inifite knowledge is, it's not that difficult. I certainly can't understand it fully, but I can definately imagine what it is.

I think you're tripping over terms. I'm not suggesting that we can fully understand what omniscience is, or what it's like to have it, but extrapolating finite intelligence allows us to infer greater knowledge.

You can't draw a perfect circle with straight lines. In appearance you can get reeeeeeally close, but you're still infinitely away from making each part of the circle perfectly curved to that of a circle.

AH, great analogy. Don't you see what I'm saying? We don't HAVE to draw a perfect circle, by drawing a circle with straight lines, we can achieve a close enough comparison to a true circle. We don't have to be omniscient to understand omniscience.

In the same way, to a "being of limited intellect", as you said, things may seem contradictory and make no sense. To an omnimax being, wouldn't you think He knows what He's doing? Honestly, do you think words (from Genesis or wherever) can define and measure out God accurately? God created the mind that makes words!

The only thing I have to go off of is the evidence I see in the world around me. That evidence does NOT lead me to believe an omnimax being created this world.

The Bible says God is omniscient. Well, if He can design and create both life and a universe, omniscience is not too hard for Him.

If God were omniscient, why would he create Satan when he knew he would fall, take a 1/3 of the angels with him and ultimately be responsible for the fall of man? If God were omniscient, why would he grieve over his creation? Wouldn't he have KNOWN he would turn out that way? If so, then why not change the design?

The Bible says God is omnipotent. He made our minds that attempt to grasp the idea of what power is. God made this universe. He can tinker any part of it if He really wants.

What good is power if you can't weild it correctly?

The Bible says God is Omnibenevolent. Ok, so there's suffering, and God let it be so. Could it be that God loves us so much that He allowed us to choose for ourselves whether we wanted the perfect world of Eden or the Earth we live in now, even though he knows what we were going to choose? That's called TOO MUCH free will in some definitions!

Excuse me, but I don't remember God asking me to choose him or not without suffering any kind of pain. The existence of suffering negates God's supposed omnibenevolence.

God either wants man to suffer, which negates his omnibenevolence, or God is unable to to cease suffering, which negates his omniscience and omnipotence.

It's beyond any human explaining or reasoning or words. That's why God called Himself "I AM WHO I AM." If He revealed all that He is to us, we would go nuts and die, since it's too much for any human to handle.

NO ONE IS ASKING FOR THAT! I am asking for just enough evidence, proof and reason to justify his mere existence!

He's the ultimate, perfect, and infinite contradiction. Ever since the beginning of humanity (regardless of theory behind what the beginnning really is like) God has been the question, and even now, our discussion here has proved that God still IS the question, and until Humanity is no more, God WILL be the question.

So much for God not being the author of confusion.

So why believe in this God that allows suffering and yet claims to be all that He is?
Words have failed to describe God and His actions. Why can't FAITH be an answer?

Faith is the ONLY answer, because there is no justifiable reason to believe based on reason or proof.

Arkanjel said:
Perhaps the dice are loaded for a reason. If the punishment was no greater than the reward why would we need the freedom to choose.

Are you saying that Heaven is no greater than Hell?

Excellent points and questions, DV; many of them I asked myself when I went through doubts of God. (and I honestly agree on your last statement!)
When I had these doubts however, I asked myself these questions:

Who am I to decide what is sufficient evidence?
Who am I to decide what infinity is?
Who am I to decide what God is supposed to do?
Who am I to decide what is best for mankind?
Who am I to decide what good and evil are?
Who am I to decide what God is?

In essence, I asked myself the rhetorical question: "Who do you think you are?"

My answer: "I am myself; I am the decider of what I do, I am the decider of my life and what shall become of it. What others say to me is their concern, for I act upon my own accord. I am ME. NOBODY else is the master of me other than myself, so I shall believe what I will, and I shall QUESTION what I will."

It answers the questions well, but seriously...I felt kinda lonely with that kind of mindset! Sure, lots of people share that mindset, so technically I wasn't alone.
But then, If us is all there is to the world, what happens when we're gone? What happens when we're helpless? It's like being in a class where you're having a test on material that nobody in the class can understand in two days.
"Together we stand, together we die." Sounds fun, but in that case, we're all equally goners, because we have decided that the professor who wrote the test does not exist!

It dawned on me that disproving God doesn't solve anything. Even if there really isn't God, there still is evidently suffering and injustice in this world because humans will be humans.
I felt helpless being on my own, being alone in my quest of life in this unjust world which really didn't seem to have much purpose to it. If there IS no God, what hope does humanity have for anything? So what do we need to solve these problems if humans can't do it?
That's why I'm back with God. I didn't HAVE to return, but I still chose to.
"Author of confusion, author of life. To You, I return."

Last edited:
Dark Virtue said:
Are you saying that Heaven is no greater than Hell?

WHat makes you think I am saying that? I replied to Eon about his statement of why the rules are skewed and the dice loaded. The difference between Heaven and Hell is the difference between total, utter darkness and all enveloping perfect pure light. Ill say it again, if the punishment for denying God was no greater than the reward for accepting Him, why would we have the need to choose? I think that is what you are ultimately aiming for. My guess is that you idea of a perfect god would be just that, no reward and no punishment. That actually sounds like kinda like what school systems have resorted to. Havent they started using purple ink or something so kids ego wont be hurt when the get a wrong answer. Also havent they done away with giving "F"s and instead give out "NI". Sure wouldnt want to hurt anybodies feelings for failing to give a correct answer. And we wonder why our country is so screwed up. :eek:

My idea of a perfect God would be one who abided by the same moral code that I do. When I'm raising a puppy I give it lots of attention, I set clear rules that I know it can get its head around and I provide simple and, most of all, consistent oversight.

I also fulfil its basic needs. I don't condemn it to a short and painful life.

My idea of a perfect God would be one who abided by the same moral code that I do. When I'm raising a puppy I give it lots of attention, I set clear rules that I know it can get its head around and I provide simple and, most of all, consistent oversight.

I also fulfil its basic needs. I don't condemn it to a short and painful life.

But how can one who is not perfect set a moral code for others? By not challenging the puppy, are you really encouraging its development or are you creating a robot puppy?

Gen

Azzie said:
Who am I to decide what is sufficient evidence?
Who am I to decide what infinity is?
Who am I to decide what God is supposed to do?
Who am I to decide what is best for mankind?
Who am I to decide what good and evil are?
Who am I to decide what God is?

"Shake off all the fears of servile prejudices, under which weak minds are servilely crouched. Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call on her tribunal for every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." - Thomas Jefferson, Letter to Peter Carr, Aug. 10, 1787

Arkanjel said:
WHat makes you think I am saying that? I replied to Eon about his statement of why the rules are skewed and the dice loaded. The difference between Heaven and Hell is the difference between total, utter darkness and all enveloping perfect pure light. Ill say it again, if the punishment for denying God was no greater than the reward for accepting Him, why would we have the need to choose? I think that is what you are ultimately aiming for. My guess is that you idea of a perfect god would be just that, no reward and no punishment. That actually sounds like kinda like what school systems have resorted to. Havent they started using purple ink or something so kids ego wont be hurt when the get a wrong answer. Also havent they done away with giving "F"s and instead give out "NI". Sure wouldnt want to hurt anybodies feelings for failing to give a correct answer. And we wonder why our country is so screwed up. :eek:

I would prefer, actually, to base my decision to follow God based on logical proofs and evidences, instead of being threatened with an ethereal ultimatum.

Genesis1315 said:
But how can one who is not perfect set a moral code for others? By not challenging the puppy, are you really encouraging its development or are you creating a robot puppy?

Gen

Oh geez. A robot puppy??

SOCIETY sets its moral codes, not an invisible sky daddy.

If God were so moral, why did he feel it was ok to murder thousands of innocent babies during the flood? Not to mention all the puppies!

THAT is your measure of morality? Do as I say, not as I do?

Dark Virtue said:
"Shake off all the fears of servile prejudices, under which weak minds are servilely crouched. Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call on her tribunal for every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." - Thomas Jefferson, Letter to Peter Carr, Aug. 10, 1787

Christian faith is not an irrational leap. Examined objectively, the claims of the Bible are rational propositions well supported by reason and evidence.-- Chuck Colson

Well, of course I'm guiding the development of the puppy, because I know I'm smarter than it. I train it to rely on me, by being the one who brings food, the one who brings praise and play. I also set myself up as the dread judge, he who passes sentence on misbehaviour. I take moral authority over the puppy as I take moral responsibility for it.

You can't have one without the other.

What I don't do is ignore it for weeks on end. Leave it to find its own food, ignore its indiscretions and then wire it up to the mains for the rest of its life when it offends me.

Dark Virtue said:

Lemme throw this in here. Thanks to Mr. Thomas Jefferson for his service to our once great country. However, I dont recall reading anywhere where God asked us for our opinions. So whether or not God approves of the homage of reason is really akin to a cow's opinion. Its a moo point... :D

And much like a puppy , this thread is starting to chase its tail.

Dark Virtue said:
Care to share this reason and evidence?

As soon as you prove, incontrovertibly, that "if there be [God], he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." These are simply two differing opinions. I mean, you've argued for months that the Christian God, should He exist, has issued an ultimatum based on fear-- which is patently false. You've just ruled out the existence of God based on a quote from a politician and an unfounded opinion of your own! That, my friend, is unreasonable.

DV -

At this point I don't have a response for you and am not sure that I will. I am rather speechless by your description of God and am going to leave it at that for now.

Genesis1315

Arkanjel said:
Lemme throw this in here. Thanks to Mr. Thomas Jefferson for his service to our once great country. However, I dont recall reading anywhere where God asked us for our opinions. So whether or not God approves of the homage of reason is really akin to a cow's opinion. Its a moo point... :D

And much like a puppy , this thread is starting to chase its tail.

Eh? So we're not allowed to voice our opinions?

Now that sounds like a robotic puppy to me.

Back