Suffering (Splinter from Satanism thread)

Marcylene said:
It seems most disrespectful when you call Him by that term!

But WHY? Is there another description that you'd rather me use?

No, I don't fully understand Him. I find it exciting that it will take an eternity to get to know Him, all the while loving to be with Him!
I don't fully yet know Him but I choose to trust Him and take Him at His Word. There are laws, just as the law of gravity. With my finite mind I can only imagine some of those are in effect as to why things are the way that they are. I don't understand trials and tragedies even in my own life, DV. Nevertheless, I choose to trust Him.

WHY would you put your trust in someone that you don't understand? Why would you put your complete trust in someone that you don't understand completely? It's not reasonable.

Marcy, you said, "If you could fully understand that God is Love and longsuffering at that, you would not be so quick to judge Him so harshly and falsely." Do you fully understand that God is love? If so, please explain to me how a God of love could commit so many atrocities. If you don't fully understand that God is love, then how do you know that I am wrong in my assesment of him?

Prayer can be asking Him to change His mind, but it goes far beyond that aspect. Prayer is fellowship with God. It is telling Him my heart, and the desires thereof. It is seeking to know Him, as I admit to and show Him what He already knows about me. It is trusting that He loves me and that I may go to Him and speak to Him as a trusted friend. It is an attitude of the heart to live in without ceasing. Prayer goes beyond our wildest dreams of the best, of the best, best, best relationship and the closeness thereof, sharing life and trusting and loving. Prayer is praising and thanking Him for all that He has done. Prayer is seeking Him for His help and strength and help for others. Prayer can be a playful, it can be somber. Prayer is adoration. Prayer is faith in His existence. Prayer is hearing His still small voice. Prayer is a constant song in our hearts, with differing melodies and tunes which exceeds the grandest, Heavenly musical scale. Prayer is meditating on His Words and reminding Him of His promises.
You went through ALL that and the only part where God communicates with you was "his still small voice". How is that an equal communication? What does this small voice sound like? What does it say? How do you know this small voice isn't your own conscience. What it sounds like you are saying is that you are pouring your heart and soul out and only getting a tiny whisper in return.

Yet, you choose to paint everything black!!! I don't pretend to understand it all. I can see my Spiritual heritage as an Israelite as I so soon forget His provision. I can fully well realize how only a couple made it into the promised land as I seek out Godly friendship today and see how few really love and adore Christ. Then, I must look at myself and wonder if I am any better.

Again, I paint everything black to strike a balance. If you would just be honest and view the good with the bad, I wouldn't have to continually bring up the bad to balance only the good that you want to see. Marcy, you are avoiding the question. You used the Exodus as an example of God being GOOD, but only TWO people made it out of MILLIONS. How is that GOOD? Why did God feel it necessary to flex his muscles, torture countless Egyptians, kill all those firstborn, and let his "chosen" people wander in the desert for 40 years? HOW IS THAT GOOD? Please answer that simple question, since it was YOU who used it as an example.

Yes, it makes sense. The Bible promises us wisdom and understanding. We have to read it and I become concerned how you could do that not believing. I don't understand the why's of everything that God does. I know that I glory in the fact that He deals with imperfect people who seek wholeheartedly after Him. I am grateful that the God that you attempt to paint does not exist. He is not horrible, evil, nor wicked.

I would be more concerened why YOU believe. It's not like I'm the only one who's read the bible and didn't believe in God at the end of it. I believe one of the things you fail to understand is that there are people who honestly, earnestly, wholeheartedly sought God and never found him.

God also gives us hope. I know He has the ability to strike me down, and by anything but the blood of Jesus and Him in me, he has every right to treat me most horribly. Nevertheless, I find He deals with me in love and compassion.

WHY THE HECK do you believe God has the right to treat you horribly!?!?! Do you believe parents have the right to treat their children horribly?

The Bible asks and wants us to realize that we can echo the same, "Oh, death, where is thy sting?" In addition, Psalm 23 tells us that we can have peace in death. I say with the greatest love for anyone I can have, the deaths of my loved ones were preciously sweet. He gives grace even in death. How much more so through the deaths of His saints? I think that is simply how He is, and Who He is. Yes, many Israelites died, but He tells us that precious in His sight are the death of His saints. It is we who paint death as black. Gates of pearl, streets of gold, no pain, crying, separation from Him, no more death or dying, mansions, rejoicing, music more glorious than we have ever heard, glorious sights that we could never look upon in this earthly body...Heaven! Those fleeing Egypt made it to the Promised Land, DV.

NO Marcy, you can spin it all you want, but only TWO made it to the Promised Land. Where does it say that those Israelites that died went to heaven? Didn't they disobey God? If I'm missing something here, let me know.

I also see you didn't say ANYTHING about the Egyptians that died. What about them? What about the torture they endured?

Again, subjective thinking. Think of it as a cube. You know the cube has six sides, but you are only willing to look at the sides that are easily visible. You're not willing to pick up the cube and look at EVERY side. I think you're upset at the fact that I point those sides out, the ones you ignore or wish weren't there. But they ARE there and by not balancing the good with the bad, you are being intellectually dishonest with yourself.

I have a question regarding these aspects of God:

Master
Strong One
Sees all
Sustainer
inexhaustible
Almighty
Provider
General
Sanctifier
Righteous
Vengegful
Jealous
Ever Present
Healer
Light
Lover
Creator
Just
Compassionate
Unchanging
Supreme Ruler
Patient
Holy
Good
Angry
Wise
Sovereign
Infinite
Divine
Eternal
Breath of Life
Wrathful
Trandscendant

If God sees all, is strong, is a provider, is just and righteous, loving and is a healer, how could he possibly allow pain and suffering to exist? Moreover, how could he possibly CREATE the pain and suffering he knew his creation would have to endure?

If God is unchanging, why did he change his mind about his creation once it grieved him so and chose to wipe them out? If God is unchanging why did he create a set of laws knowing full well man could not keep them, only to change them later when he fulfilled his own law?

Why does a "perfect" being show such IMperfect traits such as jealousy, anger, vengeance and wrath?

Is there another description that you'd rather me use?
Yes, if I could have my way, you would, in a most heartfelt way, call Him LORD!
WHY would you put your trust in someone that you don't understand? Why would you put your complete trust in someone that you don't understand completely? It's not reasonable.
DV, it would not seem reasonable, I must agree, that is, if we were speaking of just anyone, but we are speaking of God.
Marcy, you said, "If you could fully understand that God is Love and long-suffering at that, you would not be so quick to judge Him so harshly and falsely." Do you fully understand that God is love? If so, please explain to me how a God of love could commit so many atrocities. If you don't fully understand that God is love, then how do you know that I am wrong in my assessment of him?
Faith, being the evidence of things not seen, does not always make sense! I know, that I know, that I know that He is Love. I can see that evidence in circumstances in my own life.
You went through ALL that and the only part where God communicates with you was "his still small voice." How is that an equal communication? What does this small voice sound like? What does it say? How do you know this small voice isn't your own conscience? What it sounds like you are saying is that you are pouring your heart and soul out and only getting a tiny whisper in return.
*sigh* DV, sometimes you absolutely, positively exasperate me! You try hard, don't you? I don't feel worthy to explain the things of God, I fall so short. God communicates through His Word. He communicates through others. God communicates through Preaching. He communicates through teaching. He communicates through feelings. God communicates through song. He communicates through circumstances. He communicates through nature. God communicates through any means that He decides. God communicates through blessings in my life. He communicates through His provisions. There now! Satisfied?
I won't go in to full detail, but my favorite as of late, moment of hearing God was at a time I was feeling in the most despair I can remember in a very long time. My heart was breaking and through tears of desperation, I felt immobile to do anything. I cried unto Him and asked that He speak to me. Opening His Word the chapter that I turned to, while you may feel that it was simple coincidence, (While I don't think the odd of that are likely seeing my Bible has 1843 pages, not counting the small concordance), it was not only exactly the comfort I needed at the moment, it was exactly describing the situation I was in at the moment. This may seem a crazy, or small thing to you, but at the time, and in my heart even still, it was HUGE to me. Things such as this, are what strengthens my faith. It makes me know that He is near. It shows me proof of His Word.

Call unto me, and I will answer thee, and shew thee great and mighty things, which thou knowest not. Jeremiah 33:3

HOW IS THAT GOOD?
If Gods Word gave the complete detail of every account, we would not be able to lift it, nor would we need to take it by faith. Let me just start with the simple fact that 40 years shows much patience. Not to mention the fact that the Israelites are still His chosen people while they continue to this very day to see His truths.
I would be more concerned why YOU believe. It's not like I'm the only one who's read the bible and didn't believe in God at the end of it. I believe one of the things you fail to understand is that there are people who honestly, earnestly, wholeheartedly sought God and never found him.
God looks at the thoughts and intents of our hearts. That is what He is concerned about. To believe that someone has earnestly sought Him and not found Him, is to make Him a liar.

Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you. Cleanse your hands, ye sinners; and purify your hearts, ye double minded. James 4:8

But if from thence thou shalt seek the LORD thy God, thou shalt find him, if thou seek him with all thy heart and with all thy soul. Deuteronomy 4:29

WHY THE HECK do you believe God has the right to treat you horribly!?!?! Do you believe parents have the right to treat their children horribly?
I am saying that I know that I fall short. Same with my parents, have I always been worthy of their unconditional love? Not a day! I have truly not one ounce deserving on my best day. Yet, like my Heavenly Father, they love me regardless of, contrary to, and in spite of my faults.
NO Marcy, you can spin it all you want, but only TWO made it to the Promised Land. Where does it say that those Israelites that died went to heaven? Didn't they disobey God? If I'm missing something here, let me know.
I also see you didn't say ANYTHING about the Egyptians that died. What about them? What about the torture they endured?
I cannot judge their hearts. There is far more of the story that we do not see than we do. They were given opportunity to accept Salvation, of that I am certain.
Yes, DV. What about that torture? What about what the Israelites endured in Egypt? Pharaoh? All he had to do was let Gods people go! How stubborn can you get?
Again, subjective thinking. Think of it as a cube. You know the cube has six sides, but you are only willing to look at the sides that are easily visible. You're not willing to pick up the cube and look at EVERY side. I think you're upset at the fact that I point those sides out, the ones you ignore or wish weren't there. But they ARE there and by not balancing the good with the bad, you are being intellectually dishonest with yourself.
You insult what intelligence I have!! I am aware of all the sides, and also more honored than you can imagine that God chooses to show us His Love.
While I know that much of what God tell us and does must be taken by faith, the times I get upset are more times that I have difficulty explaining in a way that is honorable to Him, or the lack of being able to explain in a manner that would allow you to understand and believe.

If God is unchanging, why did he change his mind about his creation once it grieved him so and chose to wipe them out? If God is unchanging why did he create a set of laws knowing full well man could not keep them, only to change them later when he fulfilled his own law?

It is not could not keep, but would not keep.

Why does a "perfect" being show such IMperfect traits such as jealousy, anger, vengeance and wrath?

Why are these imperfect traits?

Marcylene said:
Yes, if I could have my way, you would, in a most heartfelt way, call Him LORD!

Give me evidence of his existence and I just might.

I was, however, referring to a descriptive term that details omnipotence, omniscience, omniprescence, omnibenevolence, et. al.

DV, it would not seem reasonable, I must agree, that is, if we were speaking of just anyone, but we are speaking of God.

I don't understand why you hold God to a lower standard than you would a human being. Especially since you have no idea how much you actually DO understand God.

Faith, being the evidence of things not seen, does not always make sense! I know, that I know, that I know that He is Love. I can see that evidence in circumstances in my own life.

Sorry, but I am going to hold your feet to the fire, since you are refusing to answer the question posed to you. You say that God is love, but when presented with evidence to the contrary, you bury your head in the sand and ignore it. Is that how you reconcile the good with the bad, by ignoring it?

*sigh* DV, sometimes you absolutely, positively exasperate me! You try hard, don't you? I don't feel worthy to explain the things of God, I fall so short. God communicates through His Word. He communicates through others. God communicates through Preaching. He communicates through teaching. He communicates through feelings. God communicates through song. He communicates through circumstances. He communicates through nature. God communicates through any means that He decides. God communicates through blessings in my life. He communicates through His provisions. There now! Satisfied?

I don't understand, you say you don't feel worthy to explain how God interacts with your life, but yet you insist that he does. And you say "I" exasperate "YOU"?

"God communicates through His Word." How?
"He communicates through others." How?
"God communicates through Preaching." Now that I can understand.
"He communicates through teaching." Isn't this the same as preaching?
"He communicates through feelings." How?
"God communicates through song." How? Wouldn't this be the same ad preaching?
"He communicates through circumstances." Explain.
"He communicates through nature." How?
"God communicates through any means that He decides." Now you're just reaching.
"God communicates through blessings in my life." And you know they came from God how?

Now THAT is exasperating :) But seriously...you haven't answered my question at all. How do you know this is God that is communicating with you? How does God communicate with you in a way that closely resembles communication you could have with another person? And where, in your explanation above, does the little whisper fit in? Do you hear words? A voice? If not, why did you define it as a whisper? What happened to the loud booming voice of the OT?

I won't go in to full detail, but my favorite as of late, moment of hearing God was at a time I was feeling in the most despair I can remember in a very long time. My heart was breaking and through tears of desperation, I felt immobile to do anything. I cried unto Him and asked that He speak to me. Opening His Word the chapter that I turned to, while you may feel that it was simple coincidence, (While I don't think the odd of that are likely seeing my Bible has 1843 pages, not counting the small concordance), it was not only exactly the comfort I needed at the moment, it was exactly describing the situation I was in at the moment. This may seem a crazy, or small thing to you, but at the time, and in my heart even still, it was HUGE to me. Things such as this, are what strengthens my faith. It makes me know that He is near. It shows me proof of His Word.

I believe you...I simply call it a coincidence, or more importantly, anecdotal evidence.

Call unto me, and I will answer thee, and shew thee great and mighty things, which thou knowest not. Jeremiah 33:3

What about those that called but heard no answer?

If Gods Word gave the complete detail of every account, we would not be able to lift it, nor would we need to take it by faith. Let me just start with the simple fact that 40 years shows much patience. Not to mention the fact that the Israelites are still His chosen people while they continue to this very day to see His truths.

Again, misdirection. You haven't answered the question about why you thought this was GOOD.

God looks at the thoughts and intents of our hearts. That is what He is concerned about. To believe that someone has earnestly sought Him and not found Him, is to make Him a liar.

Ah, then you make ME a liar. Or MAYBE, you simply don't understand your God as well as you think. It's easier, however, to call me a liar.

Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you. Cleanse your hands, ye sinners; and purify your hearts, ye double minded. James 4:8

But if from thence thou shalt seek the LORD thy God, thou shalt find him, if thou seek him with all thy heart and with all thy soul. Deuteronomy 4:29

So what do you say to those that tried, yet failed? Sought, but didn't find? How many people do you think there are that have done this? Am I the only one?

I am saying that I know that I fall short. Same with my parents, have I always been worthy of their unconditional love? Not a day! I have truly not one ounce deserving on my best day. Yet, like my Heavenly Father, they love me regardless of, contrary to, and in spite of my faults.

That's not the point, you said, "I know He has the ability to strike me down, and by anything but the blood of Jesus and Him in me, he has every right to treat me most horribly." NO offspring, or in this case, creation, DESERVES to be treated horribly, especially if the creator is omnibenevolent. You claim God is love, but the history presented in the Bible speaks otherwise. The OT is full of it.

I cannot judge their hearts. There is far more of the story that we do not see than we do. They were given opportunity to accept Salvation, of that I am certain.

What is the evidence that you base that on?

Yes, DV. What about that torture? What about what the Israelites endured in Egypt? Pharaoh? All he had to do was let Gods people go! How stubborn can you get?

You can get pretty dang stubborn when God hardens your heart! How can you blame this on Pharoah, when it was GOD that prevented Pharaoh from letting them go?!?!?!??! The bottom line is that God wanted to show how mighty he was. Right? If God didn't want the Israelites to suffer, WHY DID HE PUT THEM IN THAT SITUATION?

You insult what intelligence I have!! I am aware of all the sides, and also more honored than you can imagine that God chooses to show us His Love.
While I know that much of what God tell us and does must be taken by faith, the times I get upset are more times that I have difficulty explaining in a way that is honorable to Him, or the lack of being able to explain in a manner that would allow you to understand and believe.

Then USE that intelligence! Where was God's love during the tsunami? Where was God's love during the hurricanes? Where is God's love when thousands of CHILDREN die every day from starvation? Where was God's love when he drowned 99.9% of the population including old men, women and children?

You HAVE to take God's love on faith, because there is no rational, reasonable , intelligent reason to do so.

If God is indeed real, my first instinct would be to FEAR him, not love him.

Genesis1315 said:
It is not could not keep, but would not keep.

So you are saying that it is within the bounds of human ability to keep ALL of God's commands, as he set forth in the OT?

Why are these imperfect traits?

Because they create negative effects. Do you consider them positive traits? At the very least, don't you think they are HUMAN traits, that should not be present in a deity?

Gen, your avatar and sig are beautiful!!!
Dark Virtue said:
Give me evidence of his existence and I just might.
We all try, ohhh, how each of us try!
I don't understand why you hold God to a lower standard than you would a human being. Especially since you have no idea how much you actually DO understand God.
Plezzzzzzzzzzzzze, it is a much higher standard! One that only He could fulfill.
Sorry, but I am going to hold your feet to the fire, since you are refusing to answer the question posed to you. You say that God is love, but when presented with evidence to the contrary, you bury your head in the sand and ignore it. Is that how you reconcile the good with the bad, by ignoring it?
When He is working all things together for the good of each Christian, good and bad alike, that is Love. I do not ignore it. I know what is in His hand to do, and I trust when He does it. You carry on about how awful He is, yet you don't see the full story, none of us do. There is 40 years worth of history there. By faith, I believe He was all that He promises me in His Word that He is: Loving patient, kind, longsuffering, and good.
I don't understand, you say you don't feel worthy to explain how God interacts with your life, but yet you insist that he does. And you say "I" exasperate "YOU"?
*sigh* Do you know me in the least? I don't feel worthy to explain the God of the universe, the Majesty on High. I am limited to explain someone more magnificent than any of us can imagine.

"God communicates through His Word." How? - By speaking against sin. When giving me the understanding of His Word. When giving me what I need at that moment in time. By showing me His Love. By revealing Himself to me. (Please don't jump on that last one. I have already told you, I will be happily learning and discovering of Him throughout eternity.)

"He communicates through others." How? - In many ways, more often than not, giving the Love of His stretched out arms, His provision, and the confirmation of His Word.

"God communicates through Preaching." Now that I can understand. It's about time!

"He communicates through teaching." Isn't this the same as preaching? Umm, no, I would consider teaching more pastoral. More like, here Marcylene, this is what you need for today. Marcylene, here is what the Bible says, and why and what happened in history, these are the corresponding verses...Okay, maybe like a good preacher!

"He communicates through feelings." How? Boy, you are hard on me. This would fall in still small voice, perhaps. Just knowing that He is there, feeling His Love. Feeling that I can trust Him.

"God communicates through song." How? Wouldn't this be the same as preaching? Maybe, just a differing route for me, in that I love music almost if not more than, as much as I do good preaching.

"He communicates through circumstances." Explain. I gave you one earlier. Another might be when something is on my heart and He gives me that thing over, and over, and over in the differing methods that I have described. A confirmation, if you will.

"He communicates through nature." How? It's beauty. It's magnificence. It's consistence. It's awesome power. A good example to me are the times I may feel down, or need a lift and a sparrow is sitting on my rearview mirror as I do to the car. His still small voice reminds me that He is with me.

"God communicates through any means that He decides." Now you're just reaching. In the sense that there are some that I am forgetting.

"God communicates through blessings in my life." And you know they came from God how?
Won't you join me in my circle?

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning. James 1:17

I wish, DV, that I could say that I NEVER, ever EVER doubted. Yet, I would be lying if I said that. As I grow older, I am not certain that I doubt that He is, yet I may have a couple of times. But doubts tend to assail that I could ever be worthy of Him in any way, and perhaps I have misunderstood that He could love me. It is then, I go back to the Word. So, as I grow older in Christ and trust Him, it may no longer be considered faith, for I have a deep knowing that is hard to explain. It is as if He has confirmed Himself and brought me thus far, so that I can know.
I'm sorry, I know my explanation must make it seem so ridiculous to you. I try to share my heart. He is real to me in many ways.
I believe you...I simply call it a coincidence, or more importantly, anecdotal evidence.
That really does hurt, for I have tried not to mislead you, or anyone for that matter.

What about those that called but heard no answer?
There could be many factors. Maybe they were looking for answers on their own terms. I have done that. Maybe they were not being still, but asking, then running around and trying to do things themselves. Guilty again. God knows our heart, perhaps they had asked for an answer, but were not really wanting one. Been there, too. Perhaps they were being lazy and asking that He do it all while they were not willing to give. Same, at times. Perhaps His answer was, "No!" for the thing that they had asked. Looking back, I am glad He is not afraid to tell me, "no!"
Again, misdirection. You haven't answered the question about why you thought this was GOOD.
It is not that I think seemingly bad things are good. I know that throughout history the account of the promised land has been an inspiration and admonition to untold millions. Bottom line, I will proclaim with Job, though He slay me, yet will I trust in Him. That is my best attempt at loving Him.
Ah, then you make ME a liar. Or MAYBE, you simply don't understand your God as well as you think. It's easier, however, to call me a liar.
I feel that was nasty and unfair. I don't understand everything, that is correct. Yet, I have loved ones that I love with my whole heart and soul, and I could say the very same about them. Sometimes, that can be delightful, sometimes not so much so. Yet, I love and trust, nevertheless, and feel He and they are most worthy.
I was not calling you a liar, maybe misguided. Yet...

God forbid: yea, let God be true, but every man a liar; as it is written, That thou mightest be justified in thy sayings, and mightest overcome when thou art judged. Romans 3:4

WHERE WAS GOD?
We have already discussed the natural disasters. There were miracles of Love in the midst of those tragedies. Granted, not all seemingly so, but that is a lack of my own understanding. I know God is always with us, as He promises. I think we will be amazed when we can see that and fully understand that fact. It would not surprise me if He carried each one in His own arms of Love straight to Heaven. He promises to be a very present help in trouble.

www.crosswalk.com
Psalm 46

1 God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. 2 Therefore will not we fear, though the earth be removed, and though the mountains be carried into the midst of the sea; 3 Though the waters thereof roar and be troubled, though the mountains shake with the swelling thereof. Selah. 4 There is a river, the streams whereof shall make glad the city of God, the holy place of the tabernacles of the most High. 5 God is in the midst of her; she shall not be moved: God shall help her, and that right early. 6 The heathen raged, the kingdoms were moved: he uttered his voice, the earth melted. 7 The LORD of hosts is with us; the God of Jacob is our refuge. Selah. 8 Come, behold the works of the LORD, what desolations he hath made in the earth. 9 He maketh wars to cease unto the end of the earth; he breaketh the bow, and cutteth the spear in sunder; he burneth the chariot in the fire. 10 Be still, and know that I am God: I will be exalted among the heathen, I will be exalted in the earth. 11 The LORD of hosts is with us; the God of Jacob is our refuge. Selah.

I'll take anything at this point!

Thank you Marcylene. I had to change it because someone else grabbed my avatar and I kept getting confused on which post was mine LOL

DV - The Bible tells us we can be angry as long as we don't sin. Not that I am close to that most of the time when I am angry, but it is permitted

The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge;
fools despise wisdom and instruction.
Proverbs 1:7

Gen

Back