Star wars galaxies

What turns me off is that these guys think they can get away with charging $25 a month to play.

Ehhhhh... NOPE!

I'll be playing EVE or WoW myself.

Eon

The monthly fee has not been officially announced. Any prices leaked at this point are rumor. I know this because I am a charter member of the SWG fan club and I read their forums daily. This is an oft asked question and the reply has been constant every time: they are not ready to release the financial information yet.

This should still be the case unless something changed over this past weekend.

Well, I heard a rumour, to be honest.

With a considered price point like that, I'm not surprised they're waiting to iron out the bugs before announcing it! ;)

Eon

I have to say I love Star Wars, but I can't see spending any money to play (outside the initial cost of the game). I mean what's the point of actually having to buy the game if we've got to buy a subscription to play it?

No matter how much I would like to play this game, I will not due to that reason, just like I won't play Earth Above an Beyond or any other MMORPG that charges.

I'm a tightwad I guess..
biggrin.gif

Err, alittle too cheap there kidan? Err, anyway, if gossip was true, eon, then apparently George W. Bush isnt really the president and space aliens control the oil of the world.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Kidan @ April 28 2003,2:01)]I have to say I love Star Wars, but I can't see spending any money to play (outside the initial cost of the game).  I mean what's the point of actually having to buy the game if we've got to buy a subscription to play it?

No matter how much I would like to play this game, I will not due to that reason, just like I won't play Earth Above an Beyond or any other MMORPG that charges.  

I'm a tightwad I guess..
biggrin.gif
Well, you can buy a telephone, and you still have to pay the phone bill.

Or you can buy a TV, but you have to pay each month for cable.

I'm with Kidan. I can't see spending any extra money to play a game. I don't play on-line enough to make it worth it. I'm a huge Star Wars fan too.

At what point do you decide to stop the subscription? If you do stop, what happens if you just want to give it a whirl for two days a few months later.

Look at this way. In the first year, you buy a $50 game and pay $10 a month. That's $170!!!! Perhaps you can find the game for $40, so maybe $160. For me, there other things I would rather spend $160 on.

On the flip-side, if I were single, I probably wouldn't think twice about it. Of course I'd buy it.
tounge.gif

it's slightly different with phone/tv.

The signals are out there, we're purchasing hardware to access it.

with this software, we're purchasing the program, then we're renting it every month afterwards ( Microsoft would be so proud they've been trying to get everyone on the subscription model for years ).

hmm..i do have to wonder if I would get it if I were single......

i have to say no. There are so many other games I could buy with $160

I am in the SWG beta shhh don't say anything. It will be an awesome game and every star wars fan will love it. That is all I can say.

Continuing on with the phone/TV theme...

Another difference is I can buy a zillion phones or TVs, but still have only ONE phone or cable bill. I don't have to pay a new fee for every type of phone/TV I buy. With software, I need to purchase a subscription for each piece of software. As Kidan said, this is the model Microsoft has been pushing.

BTW, I don't have cable. Our tradeoff was to get DSL instead. That was a higher priority for us.

Actually the only reason I have cable is because the cable service is better than the dsl service in our area (plus we get the basic tv package for free with the internet service).  I have a DVD player and a VCR to watch Star Wars movies, what else do I need?  
biggrin.gif

That's another thing, TV service is actually free.  We don't have to pay anything to recieve it.  What we pay cable for is programming outside of the range of our antennas.  The first cable company started in a valley between two mountains.  They couldn't get a signal, so someone put an antenna on top of 1 of the mountains an ran a cable down to his house.  (Ya never know just how much useless facts I'm carrying around in me head...)

It actually kinda saddens me, the company I work for sells the subscription based MS products to companies in our area. Although that does pay a good portion of my salary so I guess I can't complain to much.....

Also...

Auron, I officially hate you.  I want in on the SWG beta sooooo bad.

/jealous
mad.gif

Yes, MS has been aware of the subscription model for quite some time, but they want ALL of their products on the subscription model, especially their business customers.

I have to say, that once that happens, I will abandon MS for my personal computer, there are enough MS emulators for Linux that I can still play my games
biggrin.gif

Back