Seeking volunteers to help test new Tribe of Judah web site

I just need people to start using it and adding content. Report any problems found, as you did (thank you).

I just need people to start using it and adding content. Report any problems found, as you did (thank you).

Imageshacks thumbnails aren't working in my post, so big images are below!!
Alright here is what I've found.

First, usability.

The site looks clean and works great, as long as everything is enabled.
If Javascript is turned-off, login and search no longer works. You probably already know this.

Now here is the one I think is the most important. If images are turned off (the browser is in text-mode) The navigation items turn a black on navy-blue color which is very hard to read, and the search form and login buttons become totally invisible.

I know some people use mobile devices with a limited data plan that browse with images off.

Here's a screen-shot:

emwv.png

Finally a small nit-pick :D

The text with the dictionary definition of the charter is hard to read. it meshes together in certain places, either due to the boldness of the text for the particular font combined with the size.
This is with Firefox 22.0 on Linux (With extended and Windows fonts installed as well).

Screen-shot:

tavz.png

P.S. Please don't hate me: :cool:

Last edited:
The site requires javascript to work, as it uses the latest Ajax technologies to load portions of a page instead of refreshing an entire page when something is changed. This is a function of DotNetNuke and not something I can change.

The look with images turned off is due to the design of the Skin that was purchased. It can be altered, but is not an easy task. If you want to support mobile devices without graphics, you really will need to buy a skin that supports that or alter the current skin so that the colors work for both with graphics and without. It will require some work and I can modify the current skin to work better, but I cannot do this immediately. If Tek7 wants me to alter the current skin, he can let me know and I will get to it as soon as I can. I was not aware when this site was created that we needed to support mobile devices with graphics disabled.

The charter was copied as it was from the previous site and pasted to this one. I will edit the text to make it more readable. However, I really volunteered for the technical stuff, not so much site content. Tek7 has asked for people to volunteer to help with content. I cannot do it all. :)

How can I hate my brother? ;P

That's fine my friend. I wasn't really aware of what the intentions for the new site were, just testing with a variety of different browsers and settings.
I browse ToJ on my phone and tablet quite often... but I have unlimited data -- though I do know some people who don't.

Anyway, my suggestions are just that, and can be entirely disregarded without any negative outcomes. :)

Oh, I wouldn't disregard any suggestions. All are valid. Glad someone is checking things out and responding. :)

Tom: Can DotNetNuke automatically set the site theme based on the browser/device detected? If so, I'm all in favor of purchasing an additional theme specifically for mobile browsers IF the cost is reasonable and if ToJ members are willing to donate to cover the expense.

rev. Jim: Thank you for your help! Your comments and questions are exactly the type of feedback we're looking for as we prepare to launch the new site. The more people we have testing with different configurations, the better prepared we'll be when it comes time to take the site live.

You can't change the skin depending on the browser, no. But there are skins designed specifically for working with both computer browsers and mobile devices. However, they are expensive. I can modify the current skin colors so that if someone views the site on a mobile device without graphics, it will be easier to read. It may take me about a week to get to that and change it, however. Approximately.

Just a quick thing I found in the left sidebar. This is what I see upon visiting the site, or initially logging in. All is as it should be I believe.
initiallogin.jpg
If I select Tribe of Judah from the dropdown list and click 'enter site' I get this result. I'm not sure if the list disappearing is intentional or not.
noerror.jpg
However, if I select any other option from the list and hit the 'enter site' button/link, I get this message.
tojerror.jpg
There are a couple things that could be going on there, first it could be a design thing where access is limited by security access, or it could be a result of there not being any content available (I'm leaning toward the latter). Whatever the case, it is throwing an error whether it should or not. I'm continuing on the assumption that an error is supposed to occur.

Now continuing on to the last screenshot, if I cause the error to happen and then proceed to select Tribe of Judah and click 'enter site', the error stays.
errornolist.jpg
That is an easy fix as it appears that when the onclickevent (or whatever you chose to call it) is fired, the error message's visibility isn't getting set back to false.

tested on chrome and firefox.

I will check into this.

EDIT: The site is working for me. While Tribe of Judah should not be in the list (since you are on that site already), I get no errors. I will fix it so that Tribe of Judah does not appear in the list, but selecting any other site, I get the site. Most say under construction, but they are there. Are you logged in when you select one of the chapters?

Last edited:
This brings up a question for Tek7. Should people be allowed to go to the Chapter Sites without being logged in to Tribe of Judah? Currently, this is setup so that you should login to Tribe o Judah, then enter one of the Chapter sites. How should this work?

I was able to replicate it both logged in and logged out. The screenshots I posted are all of me as logged in when I tried selecting a chapter. ;)
I'm at work now and tested it on Chrome, IE, and Firefox, both with addons and without and got the same result every time so it's not a local issue, and since it is working fine for you, I'm wondering if it is an issue with either my user account or user permissions?

I like being QA. I'm so used to being in your position trying to figure it out when it seems to work fine on your end. :p

I will do some testing with your account and see what happens.

I found the problem. You have not been approved. I just approved your account. See if it works when you are logged in now.

Tek7? I think you might need to work something out here. People are applying by not being approved.

Still getting the same issue.

On that side note, you could change the message to give a 'you have not been approved, please wait for approval or contact an administrator...' type error if they haven't been approved yet.

I will do some more testing later.

PS: You don't have cookies disabled, or javascript, do you?

Last edited:
I've not had any problems (thus I haven't posted) except for the fact that none of the chapters have any data. If that's not the case then sorry, I just figured that was in progress.

PS: You don't have cookies disabled, or javascript, do you?

Nope. Cookies are on, javascript enabled (I have to have it enabled, because I work with ajax and javascript all day too). The only addons I have are Reddit Enhancement Suite, and Adblock Plus. I tested disabling both with addons off and addons on (I have them for Firefox and Chrome at home, and no addons installed at work). My IE installation in both locations is completely stock, and I tested it in IE 10, IE 10 Compatibility, and browser modes 9-7.

I also just tested it on my android device with the same error message result.

Last edited:
Strange, as Kahiel does not get the error. He reported he sees the Under Construction site as you should. Also, I have tested here with two different computers and IE, Firefox and Chrome and no problems. Can you do a tracert and show me the results? WHo is your ISP?

Back