Question for Women...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (LITSAFALDA @ Sep. 29 2004,5:50)]GOODNESS     is all that  this lady has to say at the present time.  I  usually stay quiet because I just never know where to start with what some of you say.                              Blessings,"Angel"
Pleeease bring us out of this hole of futile arguementation!

If having long hair is such a bad thing, then why did Samson have long hair that gave him his strength?

He was writting to the church in Corinth in this letter. Maybe there was some contention in the church about hair length that was detracting from the church.

I was under the impression that most slaves during this time were more indentured servants rather than purchaced property.

As for women submission to their husbands, I think it is a mutual thing. I respect my wife and her opinions and we discuss things all the time. I don't "call the shots" blindly, I rely on her input and wisdom. If I am the head of our household, my wife is definatly the neck that turns the head.

wink.gif

Cory

Good points Thaddius.

However, we still have this verse to contend with, "14 Does not the very nature of things teach you that if a man has long hair, it is a disgrace to him."

What about this verse gives any indication that it was meant for Corinth alone?  Many people on this board have admonished me for limiting verses to its target audience, so why is it permissible now?  Now who has the double standard?

This snippet comes from www.keyway.ca

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]The apostle Paul (see On The Road To Damascus) actually saw Jesus Christ (1 Corinthians 9:1). Paul, a trustworthy man who wrote a large part of the New Testament, knew exactly what The Lord looked like. In 1 Corinthians 11:14, Paul wrote, "if a man has long hair, it is a disgrace to him." It's quite unthinkable that Paul would have made such a statement if Jesus Christ had long hair. How could anything about The Lord be called disgraceful?

Now watch me work
smile.gif

Christ could not have had long hair for the reasons stated above.  Samson, along with Samuel, were Nazirites (Note this is very different from a Nazarene).  A Nazarite, according to Numbers 6, took a vow of separation.  Judges 13:5 "because you will conceive and give birth to a son [Samson]. No razor may be used on his head, because the boy is to be a Nazirite, set apart to God from birth, and he will begin the deliverance of Israel from the hands of the Philistines."

From tbaptist.com

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]The Nazarite vow was a vow of separation. Three things were forbidden as long as he was under the vow. (1) "He shall separate himself from wine and strong drink, and shall drink no vinegar of wine, or vinegar of strong drink, neither shall he drink any liquor of grapes, nor eat moist grapes, or dried." Num. 6:3. (2) He could not cut his hair. (3) He could not touch or come near a dead body. Num. 6:6-9.

If you believe in the Bible, then you have to believe that Paul was Divinely inspired of God. Paul said, through God, that it was a SHAME for a man to have long hair.  This wasn't fashion advice to the men of Corinth.  

As for the slave issue, it depends on what exact time period we're looking it.  There were many, many indentured servants because of the agrarian culture.  Slaves were slaves.  Regardless, God still set forth these guidelines. God still felt it was appropriate for a slaveowner to beat his slave, have him die a few days later and receive NO punishment.  So says God.

BACK to women...

I think Byblos has an AWFUL lot to learn about women. But hey, that's the fun part
smile.gif

Umm.. In corinth a woman would cut her hair very short or bald to show she was a pristitute. Like I said before its about the physical head. and a man was not to cover his head or face too excessively because the head of the man was the glory of God, once again pysical head. Virtue supported this theory by showing that it was speaking of the physical head by the word used which meant explicitly, Physical Head.

I think it would be considered a shame for men to have long hair that would cover their face because once again the face is the image of God.

And about the slaves, I have read nothing of them so can say only one thing. Slavery is bad!

"Slavery is bad!"

Thanks for imparting your wisdom on us!

Byblos, you really need to start some cognitive thinking. The hair issue was not meant for Corinth alone. It was meant for all people for all time. Yes, it took the culture of Corinth into consideration, but it transcending just the city of Corinth.

What about that don't you understand?

"I think it would be considered a shame for men to have long hair that would cover their face because once again the face is the image of God. "

Are you saying it's ok for men to have long hair if they make sure it never covers their face?

IM saying God doesnt care as long as you know your a sinner and need his forgiveness. If you know that It doesnt matter what you have done or do. If you have jesus on your heart he will forgive and forget everything else!

How do you know what God cares about if you haven't read the Bible?!?!?!

Why even write the Bible if you aren't going to read it and follow its instructions? God instructed Paul to say that long hair for men was a disgrace. These words were God's, inspired through Paul. If you believe in God, shouldn't you listen to EVERYTHING He has to say?

Because God FORGIVES EVERYTHING.

Sure its good to, but it isnt needed. My Salvation is secure wether or not I read the Bible. The commandments are in my heart and if im unsure I either look it up, ask God for guidance or take the safe route.

Byblos, I do not see how you can be taking such a rigid stance if you have not even read the source of your beliefs. Are you just assuming that you're right?

Because the first half of the Bible, The old testament is there to show us we are sinners and without God's Grace we are going to hell... and the second half is there to tell us of Jesus and that through him we have salvation.

Of course there are many many things you can learn, but without knowing these two Key things, you will not inherit eternal life.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Because the first half of the Bible, The old testament is there to show us we are sinners and without God's Grace we are going to hell... and the second half is there to tell us of Jesus and that through him we have salvation.

How can you say that without any certainty without actually READING the old and new testaments? You're just accepting what someone else has told you.

No, I have read the words of Jesus in the Book of Matthew and he makes this clear. You know he was the one to name it the new testament and the new covenant.

Actually many scholars today agree that Matthew was not actually written by Matthew. Nor were any of the other gospels. CHRISTIAN scholars I might add.

I'm sorry, but you're basing your assumption of the entire New Testament by one book?

Back