POLL! About 1.8 and our map!

New Map on 1.8 release or After bukkit is updated?

• New map. When 1.8 is released

Votes: 13 68.4%
  • Stay on the current one. Wait for bukkit to update

Votes: 6 31.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Wolfeman: I understand you're issues and I see you're point so how do you suggest we solve the issues of mob griefing, mine ownership and mine depletion?

I don't mind having a safe city, whatever everyone else wants. Just not sure I want it all to be skylands. Is there another option? I thought Cata said something about setting the day time to 9999999999 blah blah so it stays day for a long long time. Is that an option? Will that make it safe or was it going to be safe because it was created in a version without those Endemen people thingy ma bobbers?

I think just like in real life, when you own a plot of land, you own it all unless you give the mineral rights to someone else. People shouldn't be mining UNDER the area that someone else has claimed. That's why I like to go far out from everyone else. If you build on a city lot, well then, everyone is so close, I guess it's difficult not to intrude.

Mob griefing, well, I guess we'll just have to be careful who we accuse. And instead of just assuming someone did something, we'll have to defer to those who can figure out who really did what. Mob griefing is a part of the game. Honestly, the only part of the adventure part that I have a problem with is the PVPing. And it also seems to me that it might be unfair to claim large areas which may inadvertently deprive people of certain achievements. Otherwise, I'd be happy with one world.

After playing 1.8 Rre-release for about an hour or 2 and making my own 1.8 Pre-release LAN server, I noticed this in the config..
spawn-monsters=true
Then I remembered that Multiverse can change this value per world it also allows skylands so use Multiverse over Worldmanager.

Also to solve the problem Abea is talking about I've come up with a plan.

Residence Can set up invisible "cubes" that can disable certain things like fire, monsters, animals, PvP, water, lava, fall damage and damage, to name a few.
My plan is to make Public Quarries which should look like this anyone standing within the bedrock square is safe from PvP, so if you stand on the dirt within the square you're safe, the safe zone can go down to the very bottom of the map.
The Public Quarries are meant to be depleted so they will run out, So either early bird gets the worm or you'll have to mine with PvP on.
I'm thinking a maximum of 3 large quarries through out the map.

three large mines = three citys?

Probably talking about putting the mine areas in the adventure world. That's the only place PvP is supposed to be active so that's the only place you would need to deactivate it.

Of course 1500x1500 is huge. You can't see across 1/4 of the map so maybe 3 cities.

1) Create a new map as soon as 1.8 comes out. This will be the adventure "world." Find a seed ya all like and go with it or just let it be random, whatever, don't make it complicated.
2) After Buckit is updated, generate a new map for the building "world". This world will now be where spawn is. Use a seed you all like, or again, let it be random, don't make it complicated.
3) A large area around spawn is protected to prevent building right on top of it.
4) Admins build a way to travel to distant parts of the map to encourage people to spread out. Using the nether is fine.
5) Open the world to everyone. Move over a specified amount of area for those players that want things moved. Whatever they can fit into that area, they can take. Exceptions to that amount of area would be made for LANDMARKS such as the ark, Herod's temple, the synagog (can't remember the name of it), cathedral, etc.

Game on ...

Adventure World Map rules would be:
1) Anything goes ...
2) Anything built in this map will not be preserved or protected.
3) Map is regenerated and everything is lost after XX days.

Building World Map rules would be those listed on the website.
Only thing I'd add to this is to have a city around the spawn. From what I've experienced, living in a city with a bunch of people's cool houses is quite awesome. Try logging in to iron.minecarts.com and you will see what I mean, the spawn city is pretty sweet. (its a non whitelist server) We can have limited mining inside the city so there's no intrusions, and then if you want to mine completely freely, you go out in the wilderness, make another home, and mine there. Could also have a public quarry added as well. Simple. Done. Problem solved.

that wouldn't be fair... since there is only 1 per world...

There will be more when the world is remade, or you can just beat him to it.
I wouldn't see the point in claiming a stronghold, it is more appealing to me to go all doctor Jones on it instead.

that wouldn't be fair... since there is only 1 per world...

As has been pointed out, First come first served. (or claimed)

There will be more when the world is remade, or you can just beat him to it.

I'm talking about the spawn world. Since we are using a seed world instead of a created world there should be one in the world. And since we aren't going to be remaking that one, I want the stronghold.

You can probably edit the stronghold generation numbers somehow when creating the world..can't you?

Even if you can, you're still talking a smaller world (2000x2000 max) for the spawn world. So maybe 2. 3 if you really push it but that would take way from the other stuff like villages, ravines and dungeons.

Since we are using a seed world instead of created world and it's permanent. I want a cool spot to set my stuff up. If there's only 2 strongholds or only 1 huge ravine or whatever, the people who get them are going to be the envy of everyone else.

I'm sure whoever restarts the server will have a bit of a headstart but I"m gonna get something cooler than most.

Hahahah Wolfman, The one person who always has everything so neatly and symmetrically laid out wants a stronghold? lol I would think that would drive you crazy!!

And I just gave an opinion that everyone should be able to claim whatever. I don't think that was a rule that was set by the powers that be. Just wanted to make that clear. ;)

Hahahah Wolfman, The one person who always has everything so neatly and symmetrically laid out wants a stronghold? lol I would think that would drive you crazy!!

If there's only 2 strongholds or only 1 huge ravine or whatever, the people who get them are going to be the envy of everyone else.

I'm sure whoever restarts the server will have a bit of a headstart but I"m gonna get something cooler than most.

Using a seed world for our permanent spawn means not everything is going to be created equal. Not everyone is going to get someplace cool to set their stuff up. Especially the people who come into the server later. If it's not going to be fair for everyone I want it to be most fair for me. Best case scenario is I get to claim a stronghold and a ravine in one spot. Then I really will be the envy of everyone!

You also have the problems associated with people coming in, building something and changing the landscape around what they build and then leaving after a couple months. My understanding is we will be deleting their buildings after their absent for a while. This will still leave scars upon the landscape. Scars people coming into the server later will have to fix/build around. Especially if they want to claim an area formerly claimed and mined. How would you like to claim a great piece of land only to find it completely mined out underneath you?

1.8 Migration Plan

Regarding the upcoming 1.8 Update.

As soon as 1.8 is up and running, a new world will be spawned as the Adventure world (Moon). This world will be 2500 x 2500. Adventure world will be deleted and remade in a time frame set by the Server Admin, no sooner than 30 days. There will be limited rules on this world.

Be prepared to defend any claims you make in the adventure world. You can not just move into a claimed area, but you can PVP to take it over.

As soon as Essentials and Lockette are updated and running 1.8, Gamma will be brought back for one week so that people can get their stuff together for moving. Then a new Building world (Earth) will be spawned from a seed. This world will be 1500 x 1500. It will become the fixed homeworld with limits and laws as posted on the website, and no nether. Admins will contact players to move the area posted in the forum.

Each player will be allowed to move an above ground area 50 x 50 from Gamma to the new Building world (Earth). Any chests of materials stored within that 50 x 50 area will be moved. An exception to the 50 x 50 limit will be made for major landmarks. A forum topic will be made to allow for players to post the coordinates of the Gamma world area they want moved. Players will have from now - up to 1 week after Essential and Lockette are updated to post those coordinates. After 1 week, Gamma will be no longer be available for multi-player on the server, but will be available for download.

Ravene, NPC Villiage, etc are all claimable property, first come first serve. But not the stronghold, it is public property.

If a mob griefs your property, it's an act of nature and not covered by admins, it will just be a loss. Sorry.

Any claimed area will include all the ground above and below it. Do your best when mining to not mine under someone else's claimed area or get permission before hand.

Last edited:
1. How large of an area can I claim in the Spawn World? How many areas can I claim?

2. We had discussed laying out plots around spawn with plots getting larger as you go further out from spawn. We had also discussed laying out minecart tracks and whatnot. What are the plans for these features?

3. If I'm getting chased by a swarm of creepers and decided to head into your land and it gets blown up, Is that still an act of nature?

4. Ravines, mineshafts and NPC villages are limited items, probably only one each (or less) in an area 1500x1500. Why are they claimable but not the stronghold I wanted to claim? Why don't we make all special areas public areas and not claimable?

5. I was previously told I could move an area 75x10 (this included an area 6 deep which I've already moved because it was decided we couldn't move underground areas). Can I still move my flag and cross or do I need to take it apart?

6. If I claim an area in Adventure world and then never get online while others are online does that mean no one can take my area because I'm never on when people can PvP me for it?

7. Since we are spawning Adventure world (with no/limited rules-a dangerous place) before we spawn the home world (which has rules to make it safe) is there a plan to make adventure world safe until we can move our stuff to Spawn world? Or are we just on our own until the safe world is spawned?

I heard a rumor that strongholds and libraries may have something to do with the way you win Minecraft... Notch hinted to having a way to beat Minecraft in the future, or at least use that score on the game over screen for something useful... >.> So having one person owning the stronghold and then it becoming something everyone needs to finish the game... you see what I'm saying? Might be safer to just leave them as public property, where the villages and ravines (even if someone claims them) can be accessed by everyone, I'm sure you won't need to go into someone's house to talk to an NPC or whatever if it's necessary to beat the game eventually (I don't think if you're claiming a village that you're going to tear it down and rebuild something where it was, just go claim a field if that's the case.), you could just take a stroll through their town and then move on like we already go to visit each other's creations and projects. -shrugs- It makes sense to me to leave it be... And Honestly I think we should wait to put a new permanent world up until after Minecraft's full release since it's getting close and we've already waited so long... I mean, we can move things over and do whatever whenever, I'm just thinking long term we'll probably need a new world after the full release.

-btw, still working on his adventure map floating islands thingy on his own time, I'll finish it eventually if anyone wants to play it, I'll keep updating the download link or post a new one somewhere...-

And is there a way to have lockette on the creative world and not have it on the adventure one? That would keep it interesting. xD Then it's not so much what you've built (land is just land and buildings are just buildings even if we do put signs on them) but what you have there... I mean, say someone finds your NPC village, obviously two people could easily say that the village belongs to them and live side by side building their own things and doing their own thing without knowing the other was there if no one left a sign down and they weren't online at the same time until you notice and it's like "Oh! Where did this come from?"... I think that would make an appropriate scene for a fight for the land and village, just saying, it would be like the land is yours until you have an issue, then you have to deal with the issue at the risk of losing what you have rather than "Oh, this is wolf's place... He's not online so I can't build here, I have to PVP him for it first..." I think it should instead be "This is a cool area, I'm going to build here... woah, look, wolf's place is right here too? Psh." -builds but isn't allowed to really mess with wolf's stuff and eventually wolf comes online- "Hey! This is my land!" -fights, wolf wins and takes over whatever was built or left behind as his own and other person has to start over again. But because this is the adventure world, wolf may have this problem again soon, even with the same player unless we put a rule in against clashing swords against the same player twice...-

Last edited:
There will never be an end for minecraft... if there was it wouldnt be a sandbox game. Also why cant we just have one world? one big one... yes that means someone can take the only stronghold blahblahblah but theres other things out there BESIDES strongholds that are cools. Why cant the server run the way it did in 1.7.3? why do we need all this change?

NO CHANGE FOR HOPE PLX

Last edited:
The idea for two worlds was 2 fold.
1. People were complaining about having to start over every time an update came out and we went to a new world to get the new features. A permanent spawn world allows us to build what we want without fear of having to tear it down again later for a new world or try and get it moved. The second world would allow us to continually change worlds with new updates and get the benefits of a new world.
2. People like to move either really close to spawn to show off what they've built or far away to get the resources that have been cleared out of spawn. Farther out allows more room to create larger creations (larger creations seem to be on hold currently while people wait for a new world. As people move farther and farther away to get resources we get less and less of a community feeling. Spawn world allows us to set up as a community while having an adventure world to gather resources in and complete the adventure portion of the game.

We've heard very little from Grey or Gator about the future setup and the only thing we've heard from Cata on this issue is what Abea said she was going to have him say and what he later posted.

The game is scheduled for release of the final version on 11/18/11. Notch has said additional content/changes will be released after that date but the main form of the game will be finished then. The "Adventure" update will actually be 2 parts. 1.8 and 1.9. Most of the actual adventure stuff will be released in 1.9 (which doesn't have a release date yet but has to be between now and 11/18/11).

We've heard very little from Grey or Gator about the future setup and the only thing we've heard from Cata on this issue is what Abea said she was going to have him say and what he later posted.

First, from what I understand, Grey and Cata have talked extensively on this. In addition, I included them in the email and only Grey and you responded. Grey's issue was addressed and changes were made based on that.

As far as Cata saying what Abea said she was going to have him say ... huh?? I sat with Cata for a long time and gleaned his ideas from him. If he is saying something different than what he and someone else has talked about, then that is on him completely. In fact, I will tell you that I don't agree with everything that is being said. But I am trying to respect his position and allow this to be as he and grey decide it will be.

For example, I think the spawn world should be bigger than the adventure world, I mean, come on, the adventure world is going to be recreated every so often and the builder world isn't. The builder world needs that materials more than the adventure world does. I have lots of reasons I think it should be bigger.

I would love to have the nether or some time of "airport" system in the builder world so people will be encouraged to build farther out as well as in town. I don't mind walking to visit people's places, I just don't like wondering around to find them. If they make a path or markers to their place, great, I'll walk to see them. But no one every really does that except for Koah.

I think a stronghold should be claimable, it should be like all the other minecraft worlds have been, first come, first to claim. My question was, what if someone claims land above and doesn't even know the stronghold is there, then what? As far as not getting to claim a cool place that is limited, can't really help that. There were plenty of places that I thought were cool in the past (maybe not unique) when I finally logged in, but they were taken, and so, I moved on. I do like that we will use a seed, only because we get the new stuff. But, if there is a created world out there that is made with the new landscape, we could use that, I don't really care, as long as it's with the new stuff. I'm sure since we have to wait on Essentials and Lockette to update something will be created by then.

I don't even mind not moving anything from Gamma, I think it's unfair that someone has to spend all that time moving things for people. The only reason I want to bring Herod's temple is because it was a community project and it really isn't finished. Mind you that I am not bringing much on a personal nature. And honestly, if I didn't have the temple or if the temple had been finished, I wouldn't bring anything but maybe some materials over. In fact, if no one really wants the temple, I'm fine with leaving it behind. Se la vie

And I already asked about your flag Wolf, cause we couldn't remember how big it was, and it would be a "landmark" and could be brought no matter how big it is. I can't wait to see it in the new ambient lighting!

Back