POLL! About 1.8 and our map!

New Map on 1.8 release or After bukkit is updated?

• New map. When 1.8 is released

Votes: 13 68.4%
  • Stay on the current one. Wait for bukkit to update

Votes: 6 31.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Updated download link... I might have forgotten to place myself back at spawn before saving so if you fall in the void at the start xD just ignore that. Also, please comment on what you think of the map! Feedback is appreciated, and I want to know what you guys would like to have so I have a better idea of what to make.

move all the buildings in gamma too it.

I think Wolf has a point - to a point.

I think that nothing should be moved until after buckit has been updated and stuff can be secured. That will give us all time to do some of the adventure stuff and pick some spots to settle in, etc. So basically when I'm voting for the new map, I'd like it to just be that, the new map and THEN later on, stuff can be moved over.

I like that idea.

4. I'm playing with MCedit. It appears the generation distance for unlimited visibility is 14 chunks. My current world is 1840x1840 or 115 chunks square. Adding 15 empty chunks on the outside of the map to prevent further chunk generation makes it 2320x2320. Do these extra chunks cause a huge increase in the file size or is it minimal because they are empty?

I think the maximum distance that the server renders is roughly 15, I'm not sure though.
As for the Air chunks the do use up less space, also the ToJ's server config has the render distance set to 10.

Excellent.

Right now my world is 1744x1744 with 15 empty chunks on each side making it 2224x2224. Still larger than what I want but good information. 1744x1744 is pretty huge when trying to walk across it. I may shrink it up while leaving the 15x15 chunk border to prevent chunk generation if people try and build past the edge of the island.

I'm currently using MCedit for the chunk generation, manipulation and deletion but it's not real easy to use for manipulating landscape or creating structures like roads or fences. Anyone who' seen my valley understands my lack of creativity. I'd love to put some terrain features on my map as well as lay down a minecart track. Is there a good program that will let me do that?

Is it possible to get the Gerbil Church and Minecart station schematic?

*** I'm not building this for Spawn-world. Soka is doing that. I'm working with the different programs just to see what I can do. My vision for the world was much different than what is being created (again I go back to the lack of creativity in my valley as an example). I just want to see what my vision would have looked like.

Can we either get a firm move date or wait till after the world is up and available?

When it was first put forward that we could move things to the new world when 1.8 came out, a definite size was given for what could be moved. It was not very big except for a few exceptions. I moved all my chests to a storage room under my cross and flag and was told that the storage room could be moved with the cross and flag. With the decision to not move any underground areas, I'm having to move all my chests up into my cross and so I'm not ready to move my stuff.

Also once the stuff is moved, it's kinda pointless to play anymore because no further progress will be saved until we are able to the new world.

I'd also like to be able to see how people spread out in the spawn world before I choose where I want to set up.

Can we either get a firm move date or wait till after the world is up and available?

When it was first put forward that we could move things to the new world when 1.8 came out, a definite size was given for what could be moved. It was not very big except for a few exceptions. I moved all my chests to a storage room under my cross and flag and was told that the storage room could be moved with the cross and flag. With the decision to not move any underground areas, I'm having to move all my chests up into my cross and so I'm not ready to move my stuff.

Also once the stuff is moved, it's kinda pointless to play anymore because no further progress will be saved until we are able to the new world.

I'd also like to be able to see how people spread out in the spawn world before I choose where I want to set up.

/agree! Also, I have 2 places that I'd like to have moved over, so I'd like to know if I can do that or if I have to choose one?

.-. Are you serious?... I'm still building the map and I need the most recent save from Gamma to move stuffs. I've put a solid 20 hours into this map in 2 days, sorry for a delayed release, but it takes alot of time to make islands and stuffs.

<.< And Wolf, what are you making? If you're making a world for us to use then I'ma just go ahead and take my time with my map xD Like I said before I'm making this world if we use it or not (I've been wanting to make an adventure map anyway) I like the idea of having my own floating island world... if ToJ doesn't use it though I'ma increase the size and stuff and just do whatever I feel like with it. xD I'll keep it up for download though so you guys can enjoy it on single player. -goes back to work on map-

My original idea was a town set up along the lines of the Tabernacle in the wilderness. A central gathering point with everything set up around it. Anyone who has visited my valley knows pretty much how it would look. Large, square and flat. I'd love to place Gerbils Church and minecart station as the spawn/center point. That is pretty much what I'm playing with now.

Currently the island is set up approximately 1300x1300 and it's quite huge. It's also flat and plain and only resembles an island near the edges. It's got 4 layers of obsidian, 15 layers of smooth stone and 5 layers of dirt above nothing. That leaves 100 blocks above the plain to build on. I'm working on making some hills at the corners and in the middle. Because the spawn can't be placed below a height of 64 I have to make the spawn at that height which requires me to make at least one hill. Being the way I am, it's all very equal.

I'm still working on a lot of basic stuff for it as well (minecart tracks, some trees, etc.)

I'm not trying to make it for our spawn world. It lacks a great deal of creativity. I will allow it to be used if needed but my reasons for making it are to learn how.

Oh bother (in winnie the pooh voice)

I'm gone for just a few days and look at all this. *scrolls down the screen* You guys sure are making all this complicated aren't you?

Can anyone tell me the why for any of this stuff or is it just cause you all are in control and can? :p

I am so confused on what is going on, it's crazy. Way too complicated, and way too restricting. I'm all for some islands, claiming an island is always easier than some random piece of land. But does it all have to be in a sky lands? And I don't want someone else deciding where my place will be. What's up with that?

And you know, even if I don't want to "adventure" I still want to mine and explore. Why do I have to be restricted because I'm too afraid to venture into the place where I can be PVP'd?

Really guys? Is all this necessary? It's almost like you're taking the joy of minecraft out of minecraft and turning it into your own little projects.

I do appreciate all the thoughts, hard work, and ideas. And I don't mean to sound harsh, but enough already. Just make two worlds, one for adventure and one for building. The only difference should be that in the building world there are a few civil type rules. The adventure world can be recreated ever so many days, allowing for randomness, and new adventures continually.

I just don't get it *scratches head* I'd appreciate it if someone would care to explain any of this to me. Really, I have a programmers mind, that is my background and what I went to school for. I've also been a Network Administrator. So I can appreciate some restrictions related to the issues related to maintaining a server at optimum performance. But from what I'm reading, the only issue that would pertain to that is the size and security of things in game. Am I missing something here?

Perplexed ... :confused:

Last edited:
I have 3 suggestions.

1. We go with what abea is saying that we have a normal world and an adventure world (sounds simple enough to me)

2. My idea of a flatgrass map to build on then at the edges of it there will be gates leading out to the normal world that can be refreshed every few months cause with the majority being in that city like area we can move and copy the whole thing easily...

3. We run a new map.... seriously... Our server is small compared to like super-earth or those other servers. I am for sure we havent even explored all of gamma and we've had it for months now.

Seems simple to me.

1) Create a new map as soon as 1.8 comes out. This will be the adventure "world." Find a seed ya all like and go with it or just let it be random, whatever, don't make it complicated.
2) After Buckit is updated, generate a new map for the building "world". This world will now be where spawn is. Use a seed you all like, or again, let it be random, don't make it complicated.
3) A large area around spawn is protected to prevent building right on top of it.
4) Admins build a way to travel to distant parts of the map to encourage people to spread out. Using the nether is fine.
5) Open the world to everyone. Move over a specified amount of area for those players that want things moved. Whatever they can fit into that area, they can take. Exceptions to that amount of area would be made for LANDMARKS such as the ark, Herod's temple, the synagog (can't remember the name of it), cathedral, etc.

Game on ...

Adventure World Map rules would be:
1) Anything goes ...
2) Anything built in this map will not be preserved or protected.
3) Map is regenerated and everything is lost after XX days.

Building World Map rules would be those listed on the website.

That doesn't seem so complicated to me? What are the technical issues that this would create?

Seems simple to me.

1) Create a new map as soon as 1.8 comes out. This will be the adventure "world." Find a seed ya all like and go with it or just let it be random, whatever, don't make it complicated.
2) After Buckit is updated, generate a new map for the building "world". This world will now be where spawn is. Use a seed you all like, or again, let it be random, don't make it complicated.
3) A large area around spawn is protected to prevent building right on top of it.
4) Admins build a way to travel to distant parts of the map to encourage people to spread out. Using the nether is fine.
5) Open the world to everyone. Move over a specified amount of area for those players that want things moved. Whatever they can fit into that area, they can take. Exceptions to that amount of area would be made for LANDMARKS such as the ark, Herod's temple, the synagog (can't remember the name of it), cathedral, etc.

Game on ...

Adventure World Map rules would be:
1) Anything goes ...
2) Anything built in this map will not be preserved or protected.
3) Map is regenerated and everything is lost after XX days.

Building World Map rules would be those listed on the website.

That doesn't seem so complicated to me? What are the technical issues that this would create?

+1!

It is simple and that is possibly the way it will go.

However, those that were involved in the discussion, expressed an interest and appreciation for a floating island for the spawn world. This may have been related to a world out there already that is a floating world where it is never night. This was important because some people have problems lighting their areas sufficiently to prevent dangerous mobs from spawning and the town is supposed to be a safe area.

Soka generously volunteered to create a floating island for us to use. This has become multiple floating islands and from what I've seen of the screenshots, looks amazing.

My idea for a clean world was centered around the tabernacle model with a dose of city thrown in. I was looking for this because in my opinion, keeping people closer to each other and their creations fosters a more group feeling. Because I felt the city was supposed to be a safe area for building and interacting, I wanted there to be no reason to mine unless it was part of a building. If you want to mine, you go to the adventure world. If you need stuff to build, you trade for it or you venture out into adventure world and get what you need.

You can't please everyone. I said that back when spawning stuff to build things was more prevalent. I will play the game by my rules regardless of how anyone else plays it. I'm just expressing what I'd like to see the rules be. The game was always supposed to be about adventuring. It's finally getting to that point. Building should have been secondary all along. If the majority want a peaceful server with infinite resources available then I'll go along. I won't play like that but I'll go along.

I created my world just to make my idea of the rules and how it should be set up work. I did not create it for the server. I just wanted to learn how to do it. As I said before, I know my creative side is too rigid for a truly creative world. Everything I've made so far is lined up and square and equal. It works very well for what I want it to do and be. It's not pretty but it works exactly the way I want it to. I learned a lot in the process.

I do not want to be one of those people who complains constantly about things. I want to be able to contribute and fix the problems I see.

My idea for a clean world was centered around the tabernacle model with a dose of city thrown in. I was looking for this because in my opinion, keeping people closer to each other and their creations fosters a more group feeling. Because I felt the city was supposed to be a safe area for building and interacting, I wanted there to be no reason to mine unless it was part of a building. If you want to mine, you go to the adventure world. If you need stuff to build, you trade for it or you venture out into adventure world and get what you need.

I don't mind having a clean CITY to start in. One with plots laid out and such. That seems good to me. But I don't know why anyone who has enjoyed minecraft to this point would want a completely safe WORLD. Yet, if I'm heading out collecting stuff to build, I don't want to get randomly PVP'd and loose it all. At least I can hide from mobs, but not other players. I don't mind trading, but what if I want to build and need something and no one else is on? I want a world where minecraft is still minecraft. Some of the most funniest times was dealing with those pesky creepers. And you all know I had my share of dealing with them.

You can't please everyone. I said that back when spawning stuff to build things was more prevalent. I will play the game by my rules regardless of how anyone else plays it. I'm just expressing what I'd like to see the rules be. The game was always supposed to be about adventuring. It's finally getting to that point. Building should have been secondary all along. If the majority want a peaceful server with infinite resources available then I'll go along. I won't play like that but I'll go along.

No, you can't please everyone, but when you start taking stuff out of a game that was already put into it, then it starts displeasing people. And I am so with you on the spawning stuff. That, again, is not part of the game. Once in a while, it's nice, but it can get out of hand. To me, it's a little like cheating.

I guess I haven't read up enough to know whether notch intended it as an adventure game or not. But it does seem as though building was just as important as adventuring. In fact, on the minecraft website it states, "Minecraft is a game about placing blocks to build anything you can imagine." To me, it's an all in one package. But one thing I like about minecraft is when you've had a long day and you just want to unwind, you can go in and minelessly mine for stuff to use when you are feeling more creative. If you are feeling adventurous, then you can adventure out. That's something that isn't available in most games and to me, is what makes minecraft such an awesome game. It's up to the player to decide what kind of game it is going to be for that day.

I don't mind the skylands, but I don't want to have to go out into the adventure world to get all my resources either. I like to claim a plot of land and know that I can mine it without having a bunch of other people mining there. And with having skylands, the building community is really being deprived of some of the new features in 1.8. Maybe I'd like to build next to an NPC villiage. Maybe I'd like to build on a side of a ravenne. Maybe I want to use an old ruin. I'd love to have a spot by a nice river bed. Some might want to build a bayou in a swamp. o_O

I hope I'm not complaining, I'm just trying to give another side to this issue. Those of you who were "talking" are all pretty adventurous and are so looking forward to the new adventure mode, that it seems the creative side is being shorted a bit. Think about it, most of the people don't even venture more than a few blocks from spawn before they start building. Why would they be any different now. I was one of the ones that ventured pretty far out in Beta before there were railways or anything else to get where I was. If I hadn't liked the look of where I was on gamma, I would have ventured farther out. I'm one of the few that ventures to see other people's places, no matter how far out they are. But I like to decide on what day my old nerves can handling being killed a few times before I get where I'm going. lol

I think I'm a cross between the two worlds, and given the talk about how adventure world is going to be, I don't always want to be there. But totally love the idea of it being able to be there when I want to be.

Trying to bring the sides together a bit. It just seems that right now the choice is a dry, bland place where you can't really mine, never have to deal with mobs, the biomes are preconfigured and limited, but you can claim an island and build on it. Or an adventure world where you can mine, you deal with mobs and people, and nothing you build is guaranteed to survive.

Really? Is that what minecraft is about now?

He didn't volunteer he did it all for himself...

So if he didn't volunteer and I didn't volunteer why are we having this discussion about a safe floating island or islands for the spawn world? And why did you instruct him to move all the buildings?

To quote a guy I worked with for 7 years, "What the plan boss?"

Gator suggested Skylands. Soka did volunteer, however, what he was doing was being done for himself anyway. Soka's map is not following all the specifications set before him, so it may not be used. Cata is mad because Soka isn't doing what he was instructed to do. I think Soka talked with Gator and Cata talked with Grey. lol Cata and Grey are really the ones in an official role though.

Sooo .... here we are.

I don't mind having a clean CITY to start in. One with plots laid out and such. That seems good to me. But I don't know why anyone who has enjoyed minecraft to this point would want a completely safe WORLD. Yet, if I'm heading out collecting stuff to build, I don't want to get randomly PVP'd and loose it all. At least I can hide from mobs, but not other players. I don't mind trading, but what if I want to build and need something and no one else is on? I want a world where minecraft is still minecraft. Some of the most funniest times was dealing with those pesky creepers. And you all know I had my share of dealing with them.

Just recently we had a player banned because they built too close to another player. Creepers caused a lot of damage to the established players area and they misunderstood and claimed griefing. It was cleared up and they were unbanned but mob damage causes a lot of grief.

On Beta, we had players who built right next to each other near spawn and then would fight over the mines below them with the players next to them. I even had a problem with 2 players in beta who showed up in the mines under my castle even tho I started way out in the middle of nowhere. Prosimm built under my valley in the current world (we discussed it and it was ok). Mining causes a lot of problems. And if the spawn world is permanent, what do you do when it's all mined out?

A completely safe world with no mining would solve those issues. The discussion before you got here seemed to indicate that no one really had a problem with the way it was set up. I understand you're issues and I see you're point so how do you suggest we solve the issues of mob griefing, mine ownership and mine depletion?

I will also add, that I think some what is being communicated in writing isn't really being communicated clearly. Because in talking verbally and asking questions back and forth, some of the holes are filled in.

I am understanding that there are some technical issues that most of us are unaware of.

So just hold tight and maybe they can clear up and CLEARLY communicate what is taking place.

I will also add, that I think some what is being communicated in writing isn't really being communicated clearly. Because in talking verbally and asking questions back and forth, some of the holes are filled in.

I am understanding that there are some technical issues that most of us are unaware of.

So just hold tight and maybe they can clear up and CLEARLY communicate what is taking place.

AGREE!

I'm totally lost with what's going to be happening, but I assumed it's because I'm new to the game. I'll wait and see what happens. Also - no need to transfer my meager structure. Starting from scratch appeals to me.

Back