Playing Female Characters

Shagz said:
For me, whether I'm playing a male or female character, it isn't "me" in the game, it's Ashna or Suko or whatever. Yes, I'm behind the screen, but I always refer to my characters in the third person. They're my roster, my "players on the bench", so whether they're male or female, it makes no difference except for me wanting to mix it up (see other animations and armors).

I think most of us probably view it exactly as you said Shagz, and that's why I think Halonic is correct about there being no significance to males choosing female character (or vice versa) in GW. That is why I quoted the article I did - to show that even when people gender-switch on online forums, there still isn't any psycological significance to it (although the abstract mentioned that psycologists try to make a big deal about this kind of thing). And so obviously, there is even less significance in gender-switching for a game like Guild Wars. So I hope everyone understands that I was not trying to turn this into a "serious" discussion, but rather to reassure everyone that there is absolutely nothing wrong with playing characters of the opposite gender in this game. We have a lot of younger members in this forum and I don't want for this discussion to cause anyone any personal anxiety.

Now with that said, males I know personally are FAR LESS reluctant than females I know to play gender-opposite characters in games. I know of two cases where a male player is playing ALL female characters, and NO cases of the opposite. I also know for sure that Mirawyn WILL NOT play male characters, regardless of what the game is or however indirectly it engenders character-identification. I do think there is psycological significance to this fact, and I do think it is an interesting question to pose to female players in our forum. Are you reluctant to gender switch in Guild Wars and other games, and why?

Paul

Does anyone get the feeling that some of the male toons (elementalists) in GW are a bit gender-confused themselves? I'm speaking for the characters themselves, not the people that play them.

theapoc said:
Does anyone get the feeling that some of the male toons (elementalists) in GW are a bit gender-confused themselves? I'm speaking for the characters themselves, not the people that play them.

Lol. Of course, in real life you can't tell gender-orientation by looks or mannerisms. That's one of those myths that is constantly perpetuated in our culture, particularly by hollywood: If a guy is notably sensitive and polite, or dressed in a certain way, he's walking on the other side of the highway. I applaud Guild Wars for veering from the standard of all male characters being presented as "uber-masculine" (even though I'm otherwise unimpressed with them :( ) In the same way, I was impressed with the rather masculine-looking female cleric in Baldurs Gate II. Unfortunately, that is the only positive thing I can say for that game.

Paul

Last edited:
dorkelf said:
Now with that said, males I know personally are FAR LESS reluctant than females I know to play gender-opposite characters in games.

Oh, that's because we're just THRILLED when we have decent choices for female characters! :)

dorkelf said:
I also know for sure that Mirawyn WILL NOT play male characters, regardless of what the game is or however indirectly it engenders character-identification.

...Unless she decides to play an elementalist primary... :D

(As a Middle Eastern dancer, I absolutely HATE the female ele because of the dance. We as dancers have enough negative stereotypes to overcome. See my blog for an example... :) )

That's one of those myths that is constantly perpetuated in our culture, particularly by hollywood: If a guy is notably sensitive and polite, or dressed in a certain way, he's walking on the other side of the highway
not if you actually live in california.

wait... your impressed by the mascaline female?
hmmm... okaaayyy...

Last edited:
I'd be impressed that an art director decided to *make/design* a female character kind of mascaline. Shows a little creativity, challenge the stereo- and arch-types a little...

How do I read your Blog?

As a Middle Eastern dancer, I absolutely HATE the female ele because of the dance. We as dancers have enough negative stereotypes to overcome. See my blog for an example... :)

one2dredd said:
How do I read your Blog?

It should be on my profile, but these are the relevant articles:

A Defense of Middle Eastern Dance

Why I Had to Defend Middle Eastern Dance

And this is not a "friend of a friend" story: I dance with Terri, and actually gave her the letter, signed with my real and dance names, to use in the presentation to her boss.

The thought that someone could be threatened with firing because she is a folk dancer still makes me furious!

Going to go calm back down now...

dorkelf said:
Lol. Of course, in real life you can't tell gender-orientation by looks or mannerisms. That's one of those myths that is constantly perpetuated in our culture, particularly by hollywood: If a guy is notably sensitive and polite, or dressed in a certain way, he's walking on the other side of the highway.

I agree fully. Thats also a WHOLE other topic that I won't expand upon because MaidMirawyn has cleary stated that this is HER thread :)

Me, as a male, in non-rp games, play women avatars simply because I like the way women look! Keeping in mind that I do have to consciously substain from playing any female characters who I feel are unappropriately dressed or respresenting themselves. I value the respect of women in this manner, far more then my admiration for their physical appearances. 9 times out of 10 I like the women characters appearances far more then the male characters. That being said, I used to play both Wow and GW and I primary, with alittle sigh of sadness, kept to male characters, but always reserved one space for my super cool female character!

Now your probably wondering why I would torture myself in this way ;). Well its because Wow and the RP side of GW are role playing games, I have no problem with non-rp games, but rp games I feel dishonest. I think someone brought that up somewhere.

The other and more prominent reason I enjoy playing female characters from time to time, especially in rp games (when I can get past the dishonest feelings..) Is the reason for quoting dorkelf. In general, I don't like or agree at all with the typical male image, or the definition of what a man is and is supposed to be like over here in the western hemisphere. Since I live in Canada, I have a good picture of what that is exactly and I won't speak for the eastern hemisphere since I've never been there and my opinions are largely built from the media, which is not a good source what-so-ever. Again I WON'T steal MaidMirawyn's thread so I won't go into details, maybe I'll start one up on that topic. SO, that being said, I generally find that I like the way most of the gamers treat a female character ingame as opposed to a male character. I find that, and its definetly not always the case, that most gamers tend to "hold their tongues" a bit more and generally aren't as crude to a female character and seem to act more mature. This attains more specifically to rp games and actual rp servers. The other players and its mostly the guys, tend to be more kind and considerate and don't seem to feel the need to act masculine, so they loosen up a little bit and I enjoy this more down to earth and kind hearted friendship and polite mannered communication. I often find the rp games a fair bit more enjoyable when playing a female character, because I can just be myself, I can also be kind and soft, not feel the need to curse or be macho and proud, be considerate, and show other people that I do care for them, all the while staying distant from, "Your Gay!" "Your such a wussy" "Suck it up Princess"...lol You get the idea. Now while they are just words from fools, and I do my best not to let them pursuade my person, its more relaxing and enjoyable when its more expected of you. Cause I honestly love being sensitive and kind and caring and soft. Even shedding a few tears during a love movie and what not. According to our society and more so Hollywood, though I must say not always the case, though it seems so, I would pass as a gay for behaving like that. :(

So in SHORT! lol :D I play female characters because I like the way women look and often find them much "cooler"( aka .... attractive, hehe, I thinks its a code word or something for guys). And because I typically find people behaving and treating me in a more mature manner, because I honestly get tired of immaturity in any online games (*ahem* First Person Shooters *ahem*). Which to me is the bigger reason, cause you get used to looking at your character after awhile and then alls your left with is the gameplay and experience itself. :D

Thats an honest answer from me to you MaidMirawyn

P.S I'm a Single male :D

Hrm, quite a way to make an appearance and first post hey?!?

Hey guys! I like playing female characters!

lol..... meh, I don't care :D

I suppose.. I did find playing on an rp server in Wow as a female night elf to be wierd after awhile, but who cares! It's fiction, I would be just fine writing a book from a women's perspective, HAH! And what an interesting book that would be! lol..... *sigh* it was pretty fun though! *mumble* those poors fellows.... :p

I don't know, this isn't and issue of sex orientation! Its just fun, I believe in such thing as light hearted fun. At the same time I believe someone with different intentions can use that same thing for wrong purposes or can be harmed by it or harm others. But this, playing a game for fun, naw.. nothing wrong at all!

Hrm... I suppose... that is.. if your not actually trying to be a girl! Ewww! grosse! grosse! Coodies! :D

P.S I'm a Single Male

Last edited:
As it was so elequently stated by a young man in Presearing Ascalon:

"I'm not going to watch a guy run around all day, I'm not gay!!"

Not my reasoning, but I thought it was amusing.

I don't give much thought to it. I do pick the character that looks the best for that build. For example my monk is a male, because I hate the female version. I have two Warriors, one is PvP and the other is PvE, and I have one of each, because it doesn't really matter.

Why do YOU have a female character? And "Because I'm a girl" is a copout answer!!!!

To us old folks cooties are something you have to wash out of you beard. I'm never sure what Matt means.

Razi_Alaster said:
SO, that being said, I generally find that I like the way most of the gamers treat a female character ingame as opposed to a male character. I find that, and its definetly not always the case, that most gamers tend to "hold their tongues" a bit more and generally aren't as crude to a female character and seem to act more mature. This attains more specifically to rp games and actual rp servers. The other players and its mostly the guys, tend to be more kind and considerate and don't seem to feel the need to act masculine...

????

Are we playing the same game?

I get chased/ambushed by male warriors dancing behind me at least once a week, as well as the "playing drums" thing. I've even had two at once run up behind a friend and I. I've also gotten the request to have my character take off her clothes and dance. (They used my character's name, even.)

I change districts.

Of course, there was my one marriage proposal... :) That was nicer...I guess...

Back