It's that time of year again...

who says it does differ?

Contrary to many Christian's beliefs, Christians do not have special 'holidays'  Any such thing are actually holdovers from the Catholic church, usurping pagan holidays (Christmas = winter solstice, All Hallow's Eve = harvest festival, easter - spring/fertility festivals) to appease the masses, after the king of the country converted.

If a Christian wants to celebrate them, that's fine, if it makes them feel better to be celebrating them to spout some random Bible verses and attribute the day to them, that's fine.  But to say they are a Christian holiday is nonsense.  The closest a Christian can come to having a religious holiday is Jewish Holy days.

Haloween is great... its just a day for you and your family to hang out, dress up and go collect candy... nothing Satanic at all about it really.. Satan doesnt give out candy nor does he look like a monster as he is supposedly handsome and was once the arch angel...soo Haloween rox!

Though im not doing haloween this year
sad.gif

In my church back home, (Dallas/Ft. Worth area) they celebrate with a Disney movie, bags of fruit and candy and the children dress up as Bible characters. It was always a hoot to watch Preacher try to guess the character and to hear the young child give his take on the character, not always Biblically correct, but from a pure heart!

The thing that I dislike about it is the way it has been exploited by the darker side. More especially back home, it is a time used by some for evil. The newspaper is always certain to carry the misdeeds done on Halloween night. Nevertheless, for the righteous, it is simply a day that the LORD hath made.

This is the day which the LORD hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it. Psalm 118:24

Personally, I like the holidays, any one! It is always a time to get together with the family for fellowship and fun!

Yeah I dislike the trouble makers on any day, especially on haloween ruining a good family day with their nonsense...
sad.gif

Weird thing is, Halloween came from a Pagan festival. Now it seems so tame with all the candy and stuff...

Actually we were discussing HOLY DAYS, not holidays. Big difference.

Easter and Christmas are Christian holidays, are they not?

No. LoJ explained that they aren't. There is no such thing as a Christian holiday. As for HOLYDAYS. Sunday is a HOLYDAY.

Wouldn't that be SATURDAY? The Catholics were the ones that changed it to Sunday.

Sabbath day = Saturday

I think you will have a hard time convincing the majority of Christians that Easter and Christmas aren't Christian holidays.

There are NO CHRISTIAN HOLIDAYS! Please Try to understand! NO CHRISTIAN HOLIDAYS! LoJ said that already! It doesn't matter if it's Saturday or Sunday. It just matters that the Sabbath is HOLY.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Rithkil @ Oct. 20 2004,5:48)]There are NO CHRISTIAN HOLIDAYS! Please Try to understand! NO CHRISTIAN HOLIDAYS! LoJ said that already! It doesn't matter if it's Saturday or Sunday. It just matters that the Sabbath is HOLY.
when did i explain that? i just wondering because i really do not recall and would rather others bring up the issue anew than rely on something wrote that i dont even remember.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Rithkil @ Oct. 20 2004,5:48)]There are NO CHRISTIAN HOLIDAYS! Please Try to understand! NO CHRISTIAN HOLIDAYS! LoJ said that already! It doesn't matter if it's Saturday or Sunday. It just matters that the Sabbath is HOLY.
You may not agree, but MANY Christians, I daresay a majority of Christians, do acknowledge AT LEAST Christmas and Easter as Christian HOLIDAYS. Note, I didn't say HOLY DAY, I said holiday.

I think it DOES matter Rithkil.

If it didn't matter, why would God make it a COMMANDMENT? There were only ten, so I'm thinking it WAS important.

The Sabbath day is SATURDAY, not Sunday.

To observe Sunday would disobeying a commandment, wouldn't it?

Let's look at the commandment:

Exodus 20
8 "Remember the Sabbath day by keeping it holy. 9 Six days you shall labor and do all your work, 10 but the seventh day is a Sabbath to the LORD your God. On it you shall not do any work, neither you, nor your son or daughter, nor your manservant or maidservant, nor your animals, nor the alien within your gates. 11 For in six days the LORD made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, but he rested on the seventh day. Therefore the LORD blessed the Sabbath day and made it holy.

How many Christians actually follow that commandment as it is laid out?

I have stated this before. it is not the letter of the law now but rather the spirit.

God was laying down a day for us to rest, Man needs a day to rest, he is not ment to work seven days a week. If you look at many of the great stress reducers and everything else that deals with that, almost always states the person needs to take a day off, or a week depending on how bad they are ^_^. to rest and just relax, God knew this in his forebarance and told us.

In the old testament he declared one day (saturday) to be that day. While Christians did change the day to Sunday (mainly because that was the day Christ was raised) that does not change the fact that we should be taking a day off to rest.

Let's assume we're talking about the SPIRIT of the law.

I don't agree that the spirit of the law says to take a day off because you're tired. Kick your feet up and relax.

God said remember the Sabbath Day to...KEEP IT HOLY. THAT is what the spirit of this law is, wouldn't you agree?

Back