How can I have wired internet w/o a 50FT cable?

That is a nice, American, Netgear Adapter.

I say that because it will be a while when it gets to the Canadian retailers.

Checking the Wireless N routers, I did not realize it had a limited offer.

I went to Bestbuy today and saw it was original price. :(

Luckily, the place I brought my PC and parts has a much better sale!

Linksys WRT160N; $74.99 CAD

Sale ends on April 21, I got time.

I was more trying to mention the technology in general, not that specific product. Sorry for the confusion. Again, I've got no experience with this, I just know it exists.

netgear is an international company corp..next time take a look at a CANADIAN site:
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&Description=netgear&bop=And&Order=PRICE

I already checked, its not there.
Technology to Canada is limited unlike the Americans, especially games.

When I went to check for Left 4 Dead in retail stores, since it came out in the US, nothing, nada, not 1 box...

But almost a month later, they came.

When I "accuse" a product, Hescominsoon, I must check Canadian sites.

In order to buy a new Computer, (When Starcraft II is released), I must check Canadian sites for Computer parts.

When, Americans, say a product that sounds great and also a great deal, I must check Canadian sites to make a comparison. When that product is not available in Canada, it means it is in USA only.

Which, most of the time, its a real annoyance. Waiting much longer for that product to arrive in Canada when it is USA only.

Don't get offended, I like the F-22 Raptors and other technologies. But to see ONE F-22 Raptor in Canada, its either a rental plane or many down payments. ;)

Non-accusing and relating:

I brought the Router but I have to wait for the Wireless N USB, hopefully by Tuesday.

I can still use my Wireless G Game Adapter until I get the Wireless N USB.

Last edited:
I just switch to the Linksys N Router and I'm having connection problems, with wired. :confused:

When I clicked on this forum from my favorites, after the 15 secs, it says:

Address Not Found

Firefox can't find the server at ca.wrs.yahoo.com.

Then when I refresh it, instantly works.

I'm trying to do Speedtest but it says the same thing above...

33 secs

Address Not Found

Firefox can't find the server at www.youtube.com.

Now, youtube loads but...

Last edited:
i warned about linksys...if you can take it back and go for netgear you'll be much happier

Too late, oh well.

Annoying problems but its runnable.

Though, the Port Forwarding looks much better than D-Link, limited numbers for limited games.

I did notice something:

Are you certain this domain address exists? Its registration may have expired.

My registration is always 1 day ahead, could that be the problem?

Lease Obtained: 4/18/2009
Lease Expired: 4/19/2009

Last edited:
With the WRT160N its easy as pie to install new firmware.

I just got DD-WRT installed on mine today.

Okay, I'm clueless now...

I'm using Wireless G internet with my "Linksys" Gaming Adapter and EVERYTHING WORKS!

I also did a Speedtest and its half the speed of wired.

Wired

19.xx Mb/s Download
0.48 Mb/s Upload

Wireless

9.86 Mb/s Download
0.32 Mb/s Upload

I can load all of my favorites with no problems!

Using wired is worse than using wireless. WHAT!?

If Wireless is 100% working, what makes Wired 35-50% working? :confused:

In addition to making sure the WRT160N is setup right, make sure your Wireless N adapter on the card is setup correctly.

When i posted the last time, it wasn't even true. :(

I spent hours trying to find out why it did work on Wireless for 5 mins then cut me off completely!

Now, it works, but it doesn't seem to work in the long run.

I tried without the Phone Adapter and seems normal. But when I plugged it back in, no difference...

IF wired is the issue then its the set-up of the wires its connected to.

One thing I didn't notice, the Phone Adapter, my new router and my gaming adapter all say, CISCO. :eek:

Plus, the fact they are all Linksys!

Since I just replaced the router, this is the original wiring set-up:

Cable modem > Router.

1st port = Phone Adapter
2nd port = My PC
3rd port = Other PC
4th port = Other PC

I notice the Phone Adapter has 2 phone jacks, 1 Ethernet and 1 Internet.

I could try:

Cable modem > Phone Adapter > Router

But only 3 PCs would be ported in.

If it happens again, the cut off, I will try the way above this sentence.

Otherwise, I'm going to call my ISP and ask them why wired internet sucks so bad!

By the way, its not just my PC, its all the PCs that is connected wired to the router.

OKay, iITS HAPPENING NOW. :mad:

Firefox can't find the server at downloads.linksysbycisco.com.

I cant get the firmware!

Last edited:
it's not your cable company it's your router or the phone line networking. remove the phone line networking and see if that fixes it..if it doesn't it's the router..

I misunderstood. I thought your wireless was wack, not the wired part.

You can try to switch the phone adapter and the router's position, but I doubt it will solve the internet latency issue (one would think it would make it worse!).

What are the settings in the routers firmware options?

One thing I didn't notice, the Phone Adapter, my new router and my gaming adapter all say, CISCO. :eek:

Plus, the fact they are all Linksys!

Linksys is a subsidiary of cisco.

Try running with just 1 computer plugged into the router. I had issues with one of my computers that had a crappy marvel ethernet chip. It would cause so many interrupts that they were literally fighting for control. I forgot exactly what I did but I screwed around with the settings in the drivers until they behaved properly.

I'm sorry.

Honestly, I am deeply angry and annoyed.

Upgrading Firmware didn't change a thing, they are particularly the same version number.

RIGHT NOW, the Phone adapter is currently un-plugged.

If it start to do, some stuff, then yeah, i will need to try every possible way, including VKs.

So, I tried my 'trying' idea and so far it works.

Gives me 6.5 Mbps Download and 0.40 Mbps Upload.

Its hooked from Cable modem > Phone Adapter > Router > PC.

I lose 50% of my original Download rate but the connection is stable, so far...

Oddly, I'm having problems on-line gaming, not stable...

There is always a catch:

Modem > Router > Phone > PC : 100% download rate, 35-50% stability.
Modem > Router > PC : 75% download rate, 100% stability.
Modem > Phone > Router > PC : 50% download rate, 100% stability.
Modem > PC : 100 % download rate, 100% stability.

Okay, I must be putting the ports wrong since I cannot play a on-line game over 5 mins.

I used to have this problem when I was playing wireless but on wired, such bad luck. :(

Last edited:
I don't know what the problem is. I think you need to install DD-WRT on the new one if its compatible. I remember you saying your old one wasn't.

I am curious. Is your "phone adapter" a router too? If so you may need to look at its settings as well. They may be fighting each other to assign IP addresses to each other and the other computers on your network.

<Ignores the salesman from Netgear... =P.>

My WRT160N v1.0 is a stellar performer. You may have just gotten a Friday product (if you know what I mean...)

i think we have it nailed down..i worked with him on steam and it was a combination of network misconfiguration and hardware that's being hokey. The correct configuration for things to be stable is modem--phone--router--internal network. It appears the phone adapter is doing qos to preserve bandwidth for itself..which corp will have to bark to his viop provider about..otherwise it seems we got him fixed.

Last edited:
Back