How can I have wired internet w/o a 50FT cable?

Would you get Linksys instead of D-Link, when they are $40 difference?

A D-Link Wireless N Router is over $60 and a Linksys Wireless N Router is over $100.

When I went to Futureshop, I was surprised the same Linksys Wireless N Router costs over $140!

While Bestbuy is $100. I checked newegg.ca and NCIX.com, they are close to Bestbuy, just a few dollars cheaper...

With 2 wireless routers, can they connect together under 1 Cable modem.

Cable Modem > Linksys > D-Link.

Linksys > Wireless N USB > My PC.

D-Link > Wired computer > Phone.

I'm thinking if it was on the Linksys only, 1; I have a unusable D-Link and 2; It make conflict connection with wired and wireless.

But first, I'll try out the first way above and do a Speed Test. If its as close as my wired (4 Mbps DL, 512 kbps UL) and doesn't disconnect me every 15-30 mins THEN I'll consider Wireless.

Last edited:
I didnt pay more than $70 for my WRT160N over a year ago. I cannot justify spending over $100 on a router.

I didnt pay more than $70 for my WRT160N over a year ago. I cannot justify spending over $100 on a router.

Then you must of paid this one: WRT160N; $49.99 USD

But looking at this site, a year ago it was $80.

http://www.productwiki.com/linksys-wrt160n/

Well, I spent my Gaming Router for over $150, a couple years ago.

And worked quite good, especially with my Wireless Gaming Adapter, was playing on-line with my Playstation 2.

Last edited:
Would you get Linksys instead of D-Link, when they are $40 difference?

A D-Link Wireless N Router is over $60 and a Linksys Wireless N Router is over $100.

When I went to Futureshop, I was surprised the same Linksys Wireless N Router costs over $140!

While Bestbuy is $100. I checked newegg.ca and NCIX.com, they are close to Bestbuy, just a few dollars cheaper...

With 2 wireless routers, can they connect together under 1 Cable modem.

Cable Modem > Linksys > D-Link.

Linksys > Wireless N USB > My PC.

D-Link > Wired computer > Phone.

I'm thinking if it was on the Linksys only, 1; I have a unusable D-Link and 2; It make conflict connection with wired and wireless.

But first, I'll try out the first way above and do a Speed Test. If its as close as my wired (4 Mbps DL, 512 kbps UL) and doesn't disconnect me every 15-30 mins THEN I'll consider Wireless.
I won't go near dlink..quality is suspect IME. I stick with netgear now.

I have a d-link DGL4300 same as you. I had many problems with it when I was using for routing and wireless, but since I've turned it's wireless off and using a linksys WRT54G for my wireless access point it's been fantastic. It's as stable as can be, the only time it ever needs reboot is when my cable connection crashes and causes the modem to fail. I would really recommend this setup.

cisco has severely castigated linksys quality and has changed their operating system in the routers to something highly proprietary. I have seen many more stability issues with linksys now that cisco borged them..cisco being hte best is debatable.

cisco has severely castigated linksys quality and has changed their operating system in the routers to something highly proprietary.
/me has <3 for his Linksys WRT54GL 1.0 router running DD-WRT v24 SP1

I used to run two WRT54GL routers when my wife and I lived at her parents' house and it worked pretty well. Both routers were running DD-WRT; one was in default (gateway, was it?) mode and the other was in Repeater (or Repeating Bridge, I forget) mode.

...Not terribly helpful, am I?

Whatever you do, don't buy a Linksys Wireless Range Expander. That thing is steaming pile of p00.

ddwrt is a linux based os..which makes the linksys routers useable..the newer version of your routers are not so lucky most times..along with many other linksys models nowadays.

Whatever you do, don't buy a Linksys Wireless Range Expander. That thing is steaming pile of p00.
lol

It isnt just poo its steaming poo.

/me laughs

If you go to the dd-wrt site you can view a list of routers and their specs and if they are compatible with DD-WRT.

Linksys Ultra RangePlus Wireless N Home Router (WRT160N) - Black

Are those the same?

lol

It isnt just poo its steaming poo.

/me laughs

If you go to the dd-wrt site you can view a list of routers and their specs and if they are compatible with DD-WRT.

I checked already. My current router doesn't support it.

I may get it tomorrow, as well as the USB Wireless N Adapter.

I really hope it works, for me anyways.

Uh Oh!

The Phone is 5.8Ghz! :eek:

Well, that sucks!

I say that because the range of a Wireless N is 5 Ghz....

That phone pretty much also cancels or disrupts Wireless N routers. :mad:

I'll ask the sales person anyways since Hescominsoon can't respond quick nor can I see it throughout till the afternoon.

In either case, I hope to get it on the weekends. :(

Last edited:
thanks bakey, I've been trying to find that info for days now to comment about it. I saw the same thing in a customer home the other day and wondered how well it worked. I like the concept, just not sure on the frequency interference.

I have a couple of friends who's apartment complex uses powerline ethernet for the internet they supply. It actually works pretty well from what they tell me and being able to place it pretty much anywhere is a great plus.

Has anyone mentioned Powerline ethernet?

http://www.netgear.com/Products/PowerlineNetworking/PowerlineEthernetAdapters/XET1001.aspx

I've never used it personally, but it may work for you.

That is a nice, American, Netgear Adapter.

I say that because it will be a while when it gets to the Canadian retailers.

Checking the Wireless N routers, I did not realize it had a limited offer.

I went to Bestbuy today and saw it was original price. :(

Luckily, the place I brought my PC and parts has a much better sale!

Linksys WRT160N; $74.99 CAD

Sale ends on April 21, I got time.

Last edited:
That is a nice, American, Netgear Adapter.

I say that because it will be a while when it gets to the Canadian retailers.

Checking the Wireless N routers, I did not realize it had a limited offer.

I went to Bestbuy today and saw it was original price. :(

Luckily, the place I brought my PC and parts has a much better sale!

Linksys WRT160N; $74.99 CAD

Sale ends on April 21, I got time.
netgear is an international company corp..next time take a look at a CANADIAN site:
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&Description=netgear&bop=And&Order=PRICE

Back