How can I have wired internet w/o a 50FT cable?

Corpfox

I'm moving to the basement "den", since my room is rent-able.

The current set-up now, the Router with the Cable Modem is in the other room, across from me. To make it as tidy and non-visible as it can be, its hanging along the edges of the doorways, floors and walls. Altogether is 50 Feet of wire.

Also, a Phone Adapter is also connected to the Router with the Primary Phone.

The problem is since I'm moving to the basement "den", its 2 1/2 floors down.

And I will not use wireless internet, since gaming for me, is terrible.

The only option I can think of:

I move the Router with the Cable modem to my 2 1/2 floors room.
I use the Phone Adapter with a Wireless Adapter which is connected to the Primary Phone.
And the computers upstairs can you a wireless PCI card/adapter.

Other than that, a 50 Feet of wire from 2 1/2 floors down, is messy and visible, especially when the walls are white.

I also thought of using another cable modem for myself, meaning having 2 Cable modems in 1 household, which isn't a good idea, though easier.

I'm doing it today, so if you got a better idea than mine, I'd like to know, now!

You cannot use 2 modems on the same broadband connection, so wireless (which depending on the router will be the same speed as wired) since you are probably only getting 10mbps, even b is 11mbps...lolz... Using a N wireless router and card you will not notice a difference for years to come...even with gaming...

I don't think you can use two cable modems because the MAC addresses for the modems is used by the ISP, but then again I am not 100% sure of that... either way it's costly (two PCI wireless cards + an additional modem is more expensive than one wireless card).

I would just bite the bullet and use wireless. I use wireless in my house and with a good password it is fairly safe. When I am 2 floors above our router my gaming in Warhammer seems fine; I see no difference in lag when I am wired in or on the Wireless.

If it is "terrible" then you may need a new router.

/shrugs Wireless works fine for me!

:D

Edit:

I remember seeing someone post in here that you can use two routers with wireless and create a bridge of some sort for your connection.

You may want to look into that.

Last edited:
Err...yes you can use two modems on the same cable line. They allocate two accounts and provision them independently.

Had that set up at my house for a business line and a personal line.

Regardless of the speed, you WILL notice a difference using wireless since you'll get far more packet loss due to interference, distance and a host of other issues.

For that matter...if the unsightly wires are that much of a problem, fish the cable through the walls :0

I'm moving to the basement "den", since my room is rent-able.

The current set-up now, the Router with the Cable Modem is in the other room, across from me. To make it as tidy and non-visible as it can be, its hanging along the edges of the doorways, floors and walls. Altogether is 50 Feet of wire.

Also, a Phone Adapter is also connected to the Router with the Primary Phone.

The problem is since I'm moving to the basement "den", its 2 1/2 floors down.

And I will not use wireless internet, since gaming for me, is terrible.

The only option I can think of:

I move the Router with the Cable modem to my 2 1/2 floors room.
I use the Phone Adapter with a Wireless Adapter which is connected to the Primary Phone.
And the computers upstairs can you a wireless PCI card/adapter.

Other than that, a 50 Feet of wire from 2 1/2 floors down, is messy and visible, especially when the walls are white.

I also thought of using another cable modem for myself, meaning having 2 Cable modems in 1 household, which isn't a good idea, though easier.

I'm doing it today, so if you got a better idea than mine, I'd like to know, now!

What router do you have an what wireless nic? Wireless gaming should be fine if you don't have any 2.4 ghz appliances around. Otherwise there's no way to go 50 foot wired without a 50 foot wire.

You cannot use 2 modems on the same broadband connection, so wireless (which depending on the router will be the same speed as wired) since you are probably only getting 10mbps, even b is 11mbps...lolz... Using a N wireless router and card you will not notice a difference for years to come...even with gaming...
b gets you about 2-4 megabits useable after overhead..g gets you about 20 megabits max..n with full bonding, 5.4 ghz, and qos will get you nearly 100 megabits useable.

Err...yes you can use two modems on the same cable line. They allocate two accounts and provision them independently.

Regardless of the speed, you WILL notice a difference using wireless since you'll get far more packet loss due to interference, distance and a host of other issues.

I have used wifi before and if it's setup properly(including environmental) it's no different than a wired connection. As long as you get more throughput than your inet speed you're golden.

Last edited:
If it is "terrible" then you may need a new router.

/shrugs Wireless works fine for me!

:D

Edit:

I remember seeing someone post in here that you can use two routers with wireless and create a bridge of some sort for your connection.

You may want to look into that.

The router is not terrible, its the wireless adapters/PCI cards that is. A lot of conflicts and very high loss packets.

That would be using a Access Point.

But my router can't use it.

What router do you have an what wireless nic? Wireless gaming should be fine if you don't have any 2.4 ghz appliances around. Otherwise there's no way to go 50 foot wired without a 50 foot wire.

The Phones are wireless, Hescominsoon. And I believe they are 2.4 Ghz.
Even without them, I still had a terrible lag in-game. Like only being able to play CS:S for 15 mins, after that, connection lost.

I don't know what is a wireless nic but I use a D-Link DGL-4300 Wireless 108G Gaming Router.

I'll try my plan first. If it fails, then I'll try to consider using Wireless.

He is talking about having two modems on one account/Cable line, which is different. You still had one modem per line, just two in your house.

I wish you could have two modems on one line, it would make wiring computers to the interweb easier.

The router is not terrible, its the wireless adapters/PCI cards that is. A lot of conflicts and very high loss packets.
You should try quality card then! :)

Last edited:
I don't know what is a wireless nic but I use a D-Link DGL-4300 Wireless 108G Gaming Router.

There is your issue, D-Link is very low quality wireless hardware...no wonder you are losing your connection...lol... I use a Linksys 54g blah blah...and use my laptop 50+ foot away through walls and we have wireless phones and all that and I get FULL connection, and the speed "seems" (not officially tested) the same...

Losing the connection is a issue with your router or your ISP, not wireless in general...never had that issue with any wireless...not at my house, my parents house, or my inlaws house...and I play games for hours upon hours at each of those locations...

Last edited:
He is talking about having two modems on one account/Cable line, which is different. You still had one modem per line, just two in your house.

I wish you could have two modems on one line, it would make wiring computers to the interweb easier.

You should try quality card then! :)

I went through two wireless cards (one PCI, the other USB), both dropped connections randomly. Finally I bought a router that was DD-WRT capable and set it up as a wireless client. It only drops a few packets every now and then and the latency is virtually nonexistent. Plus it doesn't require drivers and I can plug in multiple machines in (which is nice when I want to transfer large files between desktop and laptop).

It's two modems on the same line..all they do is run a splitter from the incoming cable and put two modems on it..same as for multiple cable boxes..:)

It's two modems on the same line..all they do is run a splitter from the incoming cable and put two modems on it..same as for multiple cable boxes..:)

I imagine the ISP would assign different IPs to each modem due to the differing MAC addresses. I can't imagine an ISP giving out another modem without milking them in some way, probably with double the monthly fee.

they'll give each one a different ip due to different macs yes..but they are all still ont he same line..:)

Correct. Although this can cause interference in *some* instances and they'll run a separate coax line from the box to where you want it.

I would recommend buying a refurbed Linksys WRT54G (S or L), install DD-WRT, and set it up as an access point. Keep the D-Link as your main router. This is the setup I currently have and it runs great. If you really want to stabilize the connection you can buy another linksys put DD-WRT on it and set it up as a client bridge. I do this for all my game consoles and it runs great.

That would be using a Access Point.

But my router can't use it.

The Phones are wireless, Hescominsoon. And I believe they are 2.4 Ghz.
Even without them, I still had a terrible lag in-game. Like only being able to play CS:S for 15 mins, after that, connection lost.

I'll try my plan first. If it fails, then I'll try to consider using Wireless.

in order for the 2.4 phones to stop emitting you avhe to unplug the bases AND take hte batteries out of the handsets or they still radiate./.jsut make sure you write down all of hte stored phone numbers first.

There is your issue, D-Link is very low quality wireless hardware...no wonder you are losing your connection...lol... I use a Linksys 54g blah blah...and use my laptop 50+ foot away through walls and we have wireless phones and all that and I get FULL connection, and the speed "seems" (not officially tested) the same...

Losing the connection is a issue with your router or your ISP, not wireless in general...never had that issue with any wireless...not at my house, my parents house, or my inlaws house...and I play games for hours upon hours at each of those locations...

Low quality Wireless, of course.

Wired however, hehehe.

When GFC had a CS:S server, I had 400 ping and the game was seamless from both ends.

Now thinking about the methods, doesn't sound good.

Haven't tried my plan yet, my new room is still crowded.

But wireless phone with wireless adapter doesn't sound good.

The only back-up plan, which should work, everything including the main phone goes to my room while the computers upstairs use wireless internet.

May your lord and savior bless you only.

if you can't change the phones..change your wireless..go get an N router and an N wireless adapter..set it to 5.8 ghz and then you are out of the spectrum the wireless phones are using.

if you can't change the phones..change your wireless..go get an N router and an N wireless adapter..set it to 5.8 ghz and then you are out of the spectrum the wireless phones are using.

I might consider that, but which is better, USB or Adapters/PCI Cards?

But NO, it won't be for me!

Linksys Wireless N Home Router (WRT160N) - Black

+

Linksys Dualband Wireless N USB Adapter (WUSB600N-CA)

Or

Linksys Wireless N Desktop Adapter (WMP300N-CA)

Last edited:
Back