Blast you, Microsoft

No trophies will be retroactive at all from what I've heard. It's easy enough to download a save game (seriously, I am never going to have the time or patience to attempt a Big Boss Emblem run, but I want the rewards for it). That doesn't make me deserving of the trophy, so that's that. The only other game that I have invested time in earning achievements or whatever else is Uncharted, and they have already said that it would be pointless to go through and make a patch for trophies, since they're not retroactive anyway. The trophies are kinda a null point for me though, I really couldn't care any less about them. I just wish the XMB loaded faster in game.

Man, it seems like a gamer would be better off buying a Playstation 2 than a Playstation 3.

I already have a PS2, though. :)

Okay, you might not believe this story if you heard it from Tek, so here it is from me.

There was an "old school" gamers night at one of the local libraries tonight (old school as in not kiddies...you had to be 18+ to play). They had a Wii, a 360, and a PS3 available with an assortment of games for each.

The event itself was kind of a bust. God bless 'em for trying, but we didn't exactly meet new gamer friends like we had hoped. But anyway, getting to the point.

Before leaving the library, we see that the 360 is available. We thought hey, let's just play a bit. We play Barracuda in co-op mode on Guitar Hero III before we decide to try out Virtua Fighter 5.

But behold! We play a 360 for five minutes at the library, and what do we see after swapping discs?

The dreaded RED RING OF DEATH

Seriously. :p

Last edited:
But behold! We play a 360 for five minutes at the library, and what do we see after swapping discs?

The dreaded RED RING OF DEATH

Seriously. :p
True story. I barely believed it myself.

I turned the 360 on after putting Virtua Fighter 5 in the tray and could not believe my eyes. It was one of those things that you always hear about in stories but never really expect to happen.

Happened to them at CES I believe. One of the demo units bricked right there during an event. As much as the hardware seems to NOT be getting better, that $299 price tag is looking mighty nice. I really want to play Lost Odyssey and Ninja Gaiden 2.

Happened to them at CES I believe. One of the demo units bricked right there during an event.
Yep. I watched a video of the RROD Xbox 360 at CES. Funny stuff. (Maybe not funny "haha" but funny "man, that's ironic.")

As much as the hardware seems to NOT be getting better, that $299 price tag is looking mighty nice.
But the $299 price tag, I'm sure, is not for the Elite or Pro or whatever the "real" model of Xbox 360 is.

It's the classic sales gimmick: "Well, you can have this can of soup for $3, but for just $100 more, you can get this Can of Soup 3000, which comes with 32 USB ports, a hybrid gas-electric engine, peace in the Middle East, and a collector's edition robot puppy."

"Base" systems aren't valid options for serious gamers.

I really want to play Lost Odyssey and Ninja Gaiden 2.
I have so many Playstation and Playstation 2 RPGs I've yet to play that the current generation of consoles doesn't offer anything appealing in the way of RPGs. There's one particular series that may change my mind, but it's not Final Fantasy--not after the disappointments that were VIII, X, Online, and, to a lesser extend, XII.

And if I'm craving ninja action, I'll pick up Ninja Gaiden: Dragon Sword. Aye, I know it's not as pretty, but I still get to throw shurikens and sneak up on people with swords.

The Pro is going to be $299 as of this Sunday. I think it's called "Premium" now though. The Arcade version is $259.99 if memory serves me correctly.

The Pro is going to be $299 as of this Sunday. I think it's called "Premium" now though. The Arcade version is $259.99 if memory serves me correctly.
$300 is still too much for hardware that fails when I swap games after one play of Barracuda. It is nice to hear that the price is dropping, though. If they manage to fix the hardware, that'll ease the pain of purchase.

Well, I usually feel a little better about buying a playstation 3 after hearing of all the RRoD's out there.

PS3 needs more games like MGS4. Even if they aren't exclusives. I feel like really good games are hard to come by on PS3. I had 8 games at one time for my console system, and sold 4 of those to a gamestop because they got old pretty fast.

Even Gran Tourismo 5, which had amazing graphics, but wasn't much of a game. To their credit though, that wasn't the finished product of the game.

Still no RRoD here. Maybe my toes and fingers are crossed, maybe they've fixed the issue with the new hardware.

$300 is still too much for hardware that fails when I swap games after one play of Barracuda. It is nice to hear that the price is dropping, though. If they manage to fix the hardware, that'll ease the pain of purchase.
the issue with xbox360's is they packeed three ppc cores into a box without proper ventilation. The motherbaords warp sometimes popping chips off hte board. There's several ways to fix it..of course this is something you ahve to do not MS since it's badly designed form a cooling perspective.

The original launch Core systems had bad solders too, from what I've heard. My brother is on his 3rd in 18 months. But his PS3 also might be defective, so I think he just has bad luck.

I find it very difficult to believe that a company would manufacture defective hardware for such a long period of time and still offer it to the public... we are talking a 2005 and 2006 debut for the Xbox 360.

Even Microshaft is not that stupid. Knowing that they upped the warranty from 90 days to 3 years tells you quite a bit about the length Microshaft is willing to go to regain consumer confidence. (That's an additional 1,005 days added onto the original warranty.) The link to Engadget.com again.

The old 20gig HD platform system is now $299, the new 60gig system has the old 20 gig price tag, they still have the arcade with no HD for around $260.

I have two friends with 360's, neither has failed so far.

I know what evil corporation we are talking about, but you cannot ignore what they have done to try to make it up to their customers.

Even Gran Tourismo 5, which had amazing graphics, but wasn't much of a game. To their credit though, that wasn't the finished product of the game.
You didn't buy the "Demo" for $40 did you? They had a preview you could buy that was essentially a demo of the game. Rip-off.

Last edited:
I just quasi stood up for Microsoft and I have not been banned, threatened or even responded to yet.

Wow.

Interesting!

I'm boycotting Gran Turismo until Polyphony Digital puts in damage modeling. Seriously. If the N64 could handle it, you guys can. Goobers.

/off topic

Metal Gear Online is awesome. You can chase people around after they kill you. As a glowing ghost of yourself. First time I saw it, I ran right off a building. Hilarious. :D

I'm boycotting Gran Turismo until Polyphony Digital puts in damage modeling. Seriously. If the N64 could handle it, you guys can. Goobers.
I doubt its a question of "handling it" and more a question of making the cars look bad. I know its stupid, but I read it somewhere for another game. They disabled damage modeling because they were afraid that the damaged cars would make the cars manufacturer look bad.

Disappointing, definitely.

Absurd, you bet.

Yeah, but other racing games with real cars have damage modeling. I think with Gran Turismo it really is a case of the lazy.

Back