Blast you, Microsoft

The 40gb unit has only 2 USB ports, and no compact flash, memory stick, or SD slots. All that is standard on the 80GB model, not to mention the 40gb has no PS2 backwards compatibility.
Weaksauce.

Well, that might delay the purchase of a PS3 then. $500--half a grand--somehow seems much more daunting than $400.

It's like a car salesman asking you to buy a Ford with a recalled engine and a CD-player instead of a Toyota with a AM/FM cassette player. Sure, it would be nice to play CDs in your car, but it doesn't matter much if the car won't start.

If it is recalled, they will fix it for free. So it is worth buying the Ford over the Toyota, especially since they are tied in quality.

<---- Works at a Ford dealer.

If it is recalled, they will fix it for free. So it is worth buying the Ford over the Toyota, especially since they are tied in quality.

<---- Works at a Ford dealer.
No offense intended toward Ford or Toyota dealers. For the record, I own a Nissan. The point of the illustration wasn't the make of the car, but rather the recalled engine.

The fact that Microsoft will fix a broken Xbox 360 is, for me, irrelevant. The idea that I can expect to have to pack up and ship my console to have it repaired multiple times during its life cycle is unacceptable. If I'm 80% through a RPG and the Red Ring of Death rears its ugly head, I'm not really going to care that Microsoft will pay for the shipping and repair charges. I recently played through a 100-hour RPG and can't imagine what it would be like for my Playstation 2 to break down 80 hours in. I'll be seeing red of another shade if I have to wait weeks to get my console back and pick up where I left off.

I don't have to hold my breath every time I turn on my Playstation, Playstation 2, Wii, DS Lite, or my computer. (My Dreamcast is another story, but it only cost about $40 USD when my wife got it and it's had plenty of play since then.) Why should Microsoft expect me--or any reasonable consumer--to shell out hundreds of dollars for a piece of hardware with a high likelihood of failure? If I paid $30 for a used Playstation 1 and can reasonably expect it to work when I turn it on, why would I pay $400 for a system that I can't trust?

I wasn't trying to be a smart alec, and I totally understand that if you buy a product you have the right to expect it to perform like it should. But the fact that they will replace a broken piece and the fact that they extended the warranty from just 90 days to 3 years means that they believe in their products. The chip they designed themselves was unreliable, and have since gone to another company for it.

At any rate, Emulators for the win!

Last edited:
On April 13, 2007, Capcom announced Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo HD Remix, for Windows PC, Xbox Live Arcade and PlayStation Network.

How did I miss that?

Still, the console versions has a few advantages over a PC version:
  • Ability to play together on one screen and sitting on a couch (VERY important for multiplayer puzzle games)
  • (Probably) more players on Xbox Live or Playstation Network than on the PC
  • Need to purchase a new gamepad if Gravis hasn't release Vista drivers for the ol' Gamepad Pro
  • It's actually out. The release date for the PC version has yet to be announced. :(
Still, it may help delay the purchase a little longer.

...At least, if Soul Calibur IV doesn't rock as much as I fear it will.

But the fact that they will replace a broken piece and the fact that they extended the warranty from just 90 days to 3 years means that they believe in their products.
I see your point, but Microsoft believing in their products (e.g. Vista) doesn't mean much.
The chip they designed themselves was unreliable, and have since gone to another company for it.
I heard some vague reports that Microsoft was "working on the problem," but I've yet to read any independent articles verifying that Microsoft has indeed solved the problem. Microsoft can publish as many press releases they want, but until a reliable and independent news source confirms the fix, I don't believe it.

Consoles are for the weak minded.

Microtakeover is for the masses who can not resisted the assimilation process (they have me but I am thinking of breaking their hold due to Vista-aster)

The few the proud the book readers...

Consoles are for the weak minded.
/me wonders if Icthus ever played Final Fantasy Tactics
Microtakeover is for the masses who can not resisted the assimilation process (they have me but I am thinking of breaking their hold due to Vista-aster)
Sad, but true.

If 100% of the games I want to play worked in Linux (without an emulator), I'd make the switch tomorrow.
The few the proud the book readers...
I still read! Just...not as much as I used to.

Are you telling me you read game instruction manuals?

/takes GP's man card and clips a corner

Hey, reading the MGS2 instruction manual for the first time ever just a few months ago made me realize why I failed my non-lethal runs every time by ONE lousy kill.

lol I work for Gamestop. Sure MGS4 helped the sales of the PS3 but Tek you are right. We usually seel almost 3 times more of games that are on both systems for the xbox 360. I can also tell you Microsoft has somewhat fixed the hardware problem. They have updated a lot of the internals. If you purchase one just makes sure it has the HDMI out put and that will make sure you have one with the new internals. Side note Sony has Horrible customer service for its PS3. We had a customer that bought their system in Jan. and did not have their receipt and Sony told $150 to just look at the system. On the flip side Microsoft may be horrible in u have to go through India to get work done but as long as your system was built in a certain time frame no receipt needed for repairs. I have a 360 and have been thinking about a Ps3 but Sony keeps doing things that keep me away. I want to play heavenly Sword but after that Ps3 really does not have anything I feel I must play. Unless you really want a Blue Ray player (Which you can buy $150 Drive for your PC for Blu Ray) go with a ps3 but if you are buying it just for games I would tell you seriously look at the 360 over the ps3 even with the hardware problems. I looked about a month ago Ps3 had 9 exclusives coming out in the next 6 months or so and 360 had 28 exclusives in the same time frame. Also PSN without Home is horrible. My boss complains it takes 20 minutes just to set up chat to play 1 game with friends. xbox live although it costs it is 10 times better at this point. Home may change things but Home beta testing has been pushed to 2009. Yes I said Beta testing it still wont be out till who knows when. If you are a die hard RPG fan this time around 360 has more in terms of RPGs at this point as well. Although 1 bigs plus for ps3 is Final Fantasy XIII. basically I put it this way. Last Gen xbox was the better system in terms of hardware but ps2 had all the software. This time around ps3 has the better hardware but 360 has all the software. Go into your local Gamestop or other game store and look at the 360 sections vs the Ps3 section. If you are feeling ambitious look at the titles only on ps3 and 360 at the moment. I hope that helps you make an informed decision :).

I'm getting annoyed with Sony. The consule has been out and released how long? And they pushed back home to 2009 now? It was supposed to be released last year! And Duelshock controllers? Also a late addition. I heard the PSN really stunk when the console first came out. It didn't even used to have friend's list.

Sony just released a software update that allows us to access the Cross media bar without exiting the game (something that previously annoyed me) and a feature for trophies. But almost no games support trophies yet and it's iffy if a lot of the games will be retro-active on the trophies.

Sony, I was rooting for you! You have the better hardware. You could have some incredible game play (up to 50GB per disc after all) But you MUST improve your network and MUST get game makers to side with your console and format!

Back