Blast you, Microsoft

Tek7

CGA President, Tribe of Judah Founder & President
Staff member
Dear Microsoft,

Because you refuse to resolve the absurd hardware failure rate of the Xbox 360, I'm having to consider purchasing a Sony product when the time comes for my next next-gen console. If you had a business strategy other than short-circuiting your QA department and throwing a billion dollars to build The Red Ring of Death Shuttle for millions of Xbox owners, I wouldn't have to be bracing myself for the eventual likelihood of handing more money over to a company that continually assaults its own customers with rootkits, overinflated prices, and extensive DRM.

The final blow came when my wife and I discovered that Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo HD Remix is also available on Playstation Network. Some may think it silly to re-consider a major console purchase based on a $10 downloadable game, but those people are not familiar with my and my wife's nearly fanatical love of Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo. We are two of a select few Americans to play the Japanese release of SPF2X for the Sega Dreamcast.

Side note: Region-free gaming ftw. SEGA DON'T FEAR THE REGION, nor do the wind, sun, or the rain. You can be like they are.

In closing, please get your act together and fix your shoddy hardware before this Christmas. Xbox Live is awesome, but I'm not going to shell out $400 for a console that, thanks to statistics and anecdotal evidence, I can expect to ship off for weeks at a time (probably two-thirds of the way through Lost Odyssey, knowing how these things usually work) because you can't QA properly.

I've already had to side with Nintendo after Sega stopped making consoles. Don't make me spend another penny on another Sony product, please.

Sincerely,
Isaiah "Tek7" Jones

I'm having to consider purchasing a Sony product when the time comes for my next next-gen console.

So uptight for a system you don't even own. Meaning X-Box 360.

I was surprised and disappointed when they also made, Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix.

It does say your fanatic game may come with Windows PC.

Or you could try to find the (cheapest) GBA version of your fanatic game.

Things like that can't always go your way. Games strictly for selected consoles can get frustrating.

I was furious when, Resident Evil: 0 went to GC instead of N64.
Disappointed that, Dead Rising is X-Box 360 only.
Annoyed that, Capcom stopped On-line play for Resident Evil: Online.

"You win some, you lose some."

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure PS3's themselves are region free, and as far as I know, there aren't actually any region-locked games for PS3 out at the moment. Say, if you preferred one of the different colored 40GB units from play-asia, you could still play games you buy in the US.

I'm pretty sure PS3's themselves are region free, and as far as I know, there aren't actually any region-locked games for PS3 out at the moment. Say, if you preferred one of the different colored 40GB units from play-asia, you could still play games you buy in the US.
I found conflicting information while trying to determine whether or not the PS3 is region-locked.

Here are my best estimates, based on multiple sources:
  • BluRay movie discs are region locked.
  • The PS3 hardware, as it relates to games, is not region locked.
  • Developers can choose to region lock games. I would anticipate that most developers would choose to region lock their games because most developers like money more than their fans.
  • PAL PS3 games won't play on a NTSC PS3 at 480i because of a technical limitation. Then again, if you can afford a $500 video game console, chances are good you can afford a HDTV that supports 720p.
I can't verify these estimates, but that's the best I can do without devoting more time to the research.

Side note: Region-free gaming ftw. SEGA DON'T FEAR THE REGION, nor do the wind, sun, or the rain. You can be like they are.

I have had that song in my head since i first read this post...lol

It was the Xbox's failure rates that made me get a PS3. Along with the fact that the PS3 may cost $50 more, but it more than makes up for it since it inculdes a Wi-Fi ability (Xbox does, but sold separetly), has rechargeable controllers (again, sold separetly usually), and a high def format player (I guess you can add-on a HD-DVD player for another $$$ to your Xbox).

Overall I do like my PS3 very much, especially now that I am playing MGS4 on it. MGS4 makes the PS3 shine and show it's performance superiority. The game takes up about all 50GB of the Blu-Ray disc it comes on I believe.

I just wish there were more Christian gamer groups for the PS3, like the Xbox Live has.

I just wish there were more Christian gamer groups for the PS3, like the Xbox Live has.
Speaking of online communities, it seems that, based on what I've read so far, the active online player base for Xbox Live dwarfs that of the Playstation Network.

If a game is released on both consoles, I would guess (just throwing this out there) that at least 3 times as many people are playing it on Xbox Live than are playing on Playstation network at any given time.

I could be wrong, though. I hope I'm wrong.

XBL does have a much larger user base than PSN. I think that is just a side effect of the 360 having a larger install base though, nothing against PSN.

I am sure PS3 will catch up with MGS4 hitting, and christmas 08 will balance it more unless MS reduce the xbox to like $50

Speaking of MGS4 and PAL, where do you guys get off, getting the best of the MGS4 limited edition packs? Seriously, after all this time of PAL countries getting the short end of the stick, they get a Solid Snake figurine thing, and the coolest box art. Go figure.

Dear Microsoft,

... dot dot dot.

Sincerely,
Isaiah "Tek7" Jones

I thought you said your first name was not Isaiah...

Anyway... ;)

From what I have seen, experienced and read, the Xbox has superior games to the PS3. My friend has one and we play his on the weekdays every now and then, and on almost every weekend - no problems.

Thats his alias. Tek doesnt use his real name that often because of internet security.

To find his real name, you have to solve a series of riddles.. each more perplexing than the last. :D

Thats his alias. Tek doesnt use his real name that often because of internet security.
QFT.
To find his real name, you have to solve a series of riddles.. each more perplexing than the last. :D
Or you can sign up to volunteer for the CGA Accounts Manager position. The CGA Accounts Manager has to find out my real name because I'll be adding them to a joint bank account with my real name on it.

Or you can try and join the CIA, spend 10 years in a windowless pit 5 miles below sea level just to get the security clearance to pull his file.... way to go John Doe #4 :)

I dunno. I just could never justify a 500-600 dollar purchase for a game console, whether or not it had Blu-Ray versions of WALL-E and a 10 dollar downloadable remix of some dreamcast game. (u c whut i did thar? ya, dats rite, i maed mockingz of ur dr33m purchas) I would love to be able to, of course, but I'm not swimming in cash and therefore would deem such a move to purchase a PS3 as what we in the financing profession* call "f0r srs n0t rly w0rth 1t l0l0l0l0lOLOLOLol!!!11one11!11shift"

*I'm not really in financing >_> <_<

I dunno. I just could never justify a 500-600 dollar purchase for a game console, whether or not it had Blu-Ray versions of WALL-E and a 10 dollar downloadable remix of some dreamcast game.
  • The 40GB Playstation 3 costs $399 USD.
  • Blu Ray players on the Wal-Mart web site range from $298.00 USD to $374.54 USD. If you're planning on buying a Blu Ray player anyway, why not tack on another $25 - $100 and get a next-gen console that can do the same?
  • All Pixar films will eventually be available in hi-def on Blu Ray, not just WALL-E. Watching Finding Nemo and The Incredibles in 1080i sounds pretty appealing.
  • Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo was originally an arcade game, later ported to the Playstation, PC, Saturn, Dreamcast, Gameboy Advance, and then Xbox Live and Playstation network.
  • SPF2T for the Dreamcast was never released in the US.
  • What may be "some Dreamcast game" to one person may be puzzle gaming gold to another.
All that being said, I don't like Sony. I really wanted HD-DVD to win the format wars. I haven't forgotten about the rootkit fiasco.

Unfortunately, when it comes to choosing between the Xbox 360 and the PS3, it's not really a valid choice until Microsoft fixes the console hardware.

It's like a car salesman asking you to buy a Ford with a recalled engine and a CD-player instead of a Toyota with a AM/FM cassette player. Sure, it would be nice to play CDs in your car, but it doesn't matter much if the car won't start.

Soul Calibur IV is scheduled for a July 29 release date. Microsoft has until then to fix their hardware.

Of course, the whole topic may be moot if my wife and I are still unemployed at the end of the month. Even if we are both working, we need to pay on student loans. And even then, we'd have to buy a HDTV to make a purchase of either console worthwhile. As much as we both want to play Soul Calibur IV, it may not matter if we don't have the money to lay down for the TV and hardware to run the game.

On an unrelated note, I think the PS3 kinda looks like a George Foreman Grill from the not-too-distant future.

QFT.
Or you can sign up to volunteer for the CGA Accounts Manager position. The CGA Accounts Manager has to find out my real name because I'll be adding them to a joint bank account with my real name on it.

Or you can play TF2 and hear Elihu use it on accident.....

"__________" look out for the pyro on the left.

I will say this, unless the 40gb is your only option, the extra $100 on the 80GB is well worth it. Not only does it come with MGS4 and a DualShock 3, but if you want to play Rock Band, ever, with more than one other person, you're going to need a USB hub. The 40gb unit has only 2 USB ports, and no compact flash, memory stick, or SD slots. All that is standard on the 80GB model, not to mention the 40gb has no PS2 backwards compatibility.

Or you can play TF2 and hear Elihu use it on accident.....

"__________" look out for the pyro on the left.
/shrug

These things happen. I think most long-time Tribe of Judah members know my real first name by now.

Back