Bibles...

Used to use NASB primarily, but now I favor NKJ (New King James) these days. I think that the poetic parts of the bible read better in NKJ... but clearly that's a matter of opinion.

No, just kidding. I've got a great study bible I think is an NIV. I'm looking into getting another similar to the King James' without all-ith thou fancy-ith language.

I heard that there are three different types of bibles that fall into the following categories. Maybe we can put together a list...?

Direct translation
King James
New King James

Mostly a direct translation, slightly changed for better understand of the message
NIV

Changed a lot in order to grasp the message
The Message

Each translation has their strengths and weaknesses, and it might even be wise to have multiple different versions out as you read.

It can be argued that heavily altered scripture such as The Message is inaccurate, heretical, and evil. I've heard people go as far to say that anything that's not the King James is all the devil's material (which it's not). But we know that all scripture is God-inspiried. Is that divine inspiration limited to the original authors of the Hebrew text? I think not. From what I've seen, new translations are authored by numerous different biblical scholars (and probably all Christ followers). I completely believe that these authors are divinely inspired to translate the scripture.

But in the end, does it really matter? If a person learns, understands, and believes the Good News -- that God came to the earth in the form of a man, was born from a virgin, lived a sinless life, was killed and buried, resurrected after three days, that we are all sinners and the only punishment for sin is death, Jesus took our punishment for sin so that we may have eternal life with Him in heaven, and that nothing matters besides Jesus -- then all the rest is fluff (good fluff, but not as important as the Good News). By the time a person believes and craves Jesus, then they will want to find a text they can use to learn how to live their lives. They will WANT to find a bible to teach and proliferate the greatest message of all to others.

Let me stress that I believe the rest of the Bible to be awesome, the Truth, and everything a person should and needs to know. It is Holy. Great. Awesome. The best thing in the world. But NOTHING is as important as Jesus, and the path to Jesus is not as important as getting there.

Last edited:
Direct translation
King James
New King James

actually the only one taken from the original language is the NASB. but the James versions are very good and they are translated from original languages they did change words to fit the modern language a little more.

The modest direct is the hebrew and greek bibles. Fun to learn the language also.

The St. Joseph MEDIUM SIZE Edition of The New American Bible that I got back in religious education in the 1970s is what I typically read.

The Catholic Biblical Association of America, sponsored by the Bishops' Committe of the Confraternity of Christian Doctrine spent about 25 years or so going back to the oldest known versions of the original Scriptures and worked an English translation.

Don't want to get into a big my Bible is better than your Bible argument, I hope that isn't the point of the thread, but as a Catholic thought I'd share with my Protestant Brothers and Sisters in Faith.

The St. Joseph MEDIUM SIZE Edition of The New American Bible that I got back in religious education in the 1970s is what I typically read.

The Catholic Biblical Association of America, sponsored by the Bishops' Committe of the Confraternity of Christian Doctrine spent about 25 years or so going back to the oldest known versions of the original Scriptures and worked an English translation.

Don't want to get into a big my Bible is better than your Bible argument, I hope that isn't the point of the thread, but as a Catholic thought I'd share with my Protestant Brothers and Sisters in Faith.

That is not the point of the thread at all :) And I certainly do not want it to turn into that, so please don't, anyone :)

But I do have a reason for asking and it will soon become apparent and non-controversial (I certainly hope) :D

You guys read English bibles? Weak. Greek and Hebrew all the way, baby!

Just kidding...sort of. :p

I mix it up between ESV (primary), NASB and NKJV.

What? There's more than one denomination?!?! j/k

From what I have read Rhys is right in that of the major modern translations the NASB is supposed to be word for word closer to the original.

In the end which translation you use is largely personal. I don't think there is a best, because as long as the translation isn't inaccurate: if it gets you more interested in reading regularly, then it's the right translation (for you).

I don't really have a only one version, for my "read thru the bible in a year" devotional, I have gone thru ...

King James Version
New International Version
New Living Translation
New American Standard Bible
English Standard Version
New Revised Standard Version
Contemporary English Version
New Century Version
New King James Version
New American Bible
New Jerusalem Bible
Revised Standard Version