Bibles...

I quizzed over the NIV, so it gets really confusing in my head to hear anything else...my memorized bible in my head argues with the one I'm reading. =D That said, I think there are some translation issues with the NIV and KJV both...so the NASV and the ERSV are both good.

What an awesome idea!

I grew up on the AV - also called the KJV - but went to something easier to read. Reading the NT in Greek was like going from black and white TV to color HD TV with surround sound. I have found the NIV to be good and the NLT to be very readable. When I want to do in depth study, though, I go back to the Greek. There are several versions of the Greek: Nestle's is based on the version from which the KJV was translated (the Textus Recepticus which was translated from the Latin Vulgate version that many attribute translated from the Greek by the church father Origen in the third century A.D.) and the United Bible Societies’ Greek version which is what most modern scholars use (it references the existing fragments and ancient scriptures like the Codex Sainaiticus and Codex Vaticanus and cites the variances). I love both.

The amazing part: the Bible -- in all of the extant copies and versions from antiquity, including the Dead Sea Scrolls (some of which may date as far back as the 7th century B.C.) and ancient Greek versions (possibly as early as 330 A.D.) and fragments (one of which dates back to the first century A.D.) -- in no place varies over major doctrinal issues that are the core of Christianity. No other document from antiquity can boast such a singleness and authority. No other book from such antiquity exists in such unity. Its accuracy in archeology means no one digs in the Near East without reading the Bible. No other book or writing has been so studied and referenced as the Bible. Even if many question the Bible’s moral and ethical authority, its historical accuracy has bourn all scholastic scrutiny through the years and continues to show its historical accuracy. It is a shame, even intellectual hypocrisy, many "intelligent" people do not reference it for the Truth and freedom it introduces to humanity.

Thanks for doing such a huge project!

Back