Zones for leveling 50-60

Bloodtide Coast is pretty cool, but I have this weird affinity for snow zones in MMOs (Midgard in Dark Age of Camelot, Dwarf starting area in WoW, Norn starting area in GW2), so I think my wife and I are going to end up questing in Timberline Falls...

...after we check out Sorrow's Embrace. :D

For what it's worth, you still get pretty good XP in underleveled zones as well. Many of my characters have gotten to 80 without having even entered a level 60+ zone, and it never seemed slow. You can kind of pick the zones you like, and not worry too much about their level ranges, and you still get level appropriate loot as well, though not as much.

Hirathi Hinterlands has some great event chains with some good loot chests

but you wont get much kill variety due to overpopulation of centaurs lol

but you wont get much kill variety due to overpopulation of centaurs lol

So true. I'm not exactly sure why, but it's one of my least favorite zones in the game. Centaur prejudice? Or maybe it has to do with the prevalence of camps full of densely packed enemies.

Kinda the same reason Dredgehaunt isn't my favorite, either. I don't mind adventuring into dredge burrows, but I always know once I'm done doing DEs or hearts inside, I've got a slog through dredge tunnels to get back out. Helps if I pay attention to the fact that a good half of the dredge are yellow and make sure not to aggro them, but I'm not terribly good at remembering that.

Timberline falls is my favorite zone, I think. I also share your affinity for snow zones Tek, but Timberline takes the cake for me due to the mountains, pines, and streams. IIRC, they modeled it after Alaska or something like that.

I think the thing I like about Timberline is the feeling of transition down from snowy mountains into green, mountain stream areas below the "treeline".

Speaking of snowy, Frostgorge is one of my favorite zones in the game. I love the Kodan ship/icebergs and those deep, underwater arctic views.

Hunting balloons for the acheivement has been interesting. I think it's the first time I've ever moved through so many zones in the game so quickly, which is actually really enjoyable. It gives me a new sense of the breadth of the world.

I'm also very fond of some of the areas in the game that have a lot less "content" than you'd expect for how interesting they are. I was blown away the first time I stumbled in to Wizard's Fief. It was early enough in the game that I hadn't heard about Wizard's Tower being there. There's a whole little mountain hamlet beneath it as well, with a skill point, a vista, diving goggles, and some small defeat-an-elemental DEs. While the tower is intriguing, and makes me want to be able to explore it, I'm kinda glad that there isn't more to do there so the area isn't overrun by farmers.

Lightfoot Passage is another one. It's kinda overshadowed by Fort Trinity and the beginning of Orr. Just a Vista inside. When I first wandered in it was a delight to find this secluded-seeming preserve right at the doorstep of Orr.

I know this has wandered off the original post, but I'm now curious if anyone else has a favorite, less-traveled corner of Tyria.

What I found interesting was the "orphanage" in Dredgehaunt Cliffs area. Btw Northern Dredgehaunt is a great place to farm veterans, materials, and even a grawl who will conveniently let himself be killed over and over for resurection purposes.

Last edited:
I'll have to look for that, Ursen. I've always tried to get through Dredgehaunt as quickly as possible.

Back