your favorite Bible version?

My good Bible disappeared while we were on vacation.
New American Standard... *sigh*
It was a great Bible - very easy to find verses with it.

Now all I've got is a Red Letter Edition NAS... no footnotes, no - nothing. Except for the Bible, of course. :)

For years I used the NASB because I was obsessed with the literalness of the translation. Lately though I find that when reading it aloud to my wife I almost have to translate the translation, which kind of defeats the purpose.

I have never been a fan of the NIV, I just don't like the way it reads.

I have come to really like the NLT second edition 2007 update. It is more of a dynamic equivalent translation but it gets the meaning across quite well in plain English. It is still quite accurate to the original texts all things considered. I was not fond of it before they revised the text in 2004 & 2007. Now I find I prefer reading from the NLT for daily devotions.

I use a wide range of translations for study. I have a Bible study program and parallel Bible to reference between the NASB, KJV, NKJV, ESV, NIV, Amplified and NLT.

Last edited:
My preferences:
ESV for study and memorizing.
NLT 2nd ed for devotional reading.
KJV for my weekly meetings with the Mormon missionaries.

Kinda. They keep wanting to come over to have more bible studies so I agree. They tell me more and more about their doctrines and I see the rift between our beliefs getting bigger and bigger each time. It is funny how at the first meeting I almost agreed with everything they said. Then each subsequent meeting has had all these "doctrine issues" pop up. I have been learning alot that I never knew about their faith and hopefully I will be able to better witness to Mormons in the future.

Great guys tho and I love hanging with them. It is making me get into the Word even more, so that is a plus. I figure it is taking away time that they could be converting someone else, so that is good as well.

Kinda. They keep wanting to come over to have more bible studies so I agree. They tell me more and more about their doctrines and I see the rift between our beliefs getting bigger and bigger each time. It is funny how at the first meeting I almost agreed with everything they said. Then each subsequent meeting has had all these "doctrine issues" pop up. I have been learning alot that I never knew about their faith and hopefully I will be able to better witness to Mormons in the future.

Great guys tho and I love hanging with them. It is making me get into the Word even more, so that is a plus. I figure it is taking away time that they could be converting someone else, so that is good as well.

Hopefully in the end the seeds you plant will help save their souls :).

bible..

there is only 1 real version KJV.. i ocasinaly use the NKJ to understand text when i dont. but even in that version there is text that is missing and or changed.

the RSV and NIV do nothing but take jesus from his glory.

if anyone wishes to debate this i have proof.
haveing one of these bibles i belive dont make you any less cristian, i belive we all love jesus the same. to me its more of a matter that thoes who made the NIV and RSV wanted us to forget about the glory of jesus and put our faith in a pope..

there is only 1 real version KJV.. i ocasinaly use the NKJ to understand text when i dont. but even in that version there is text that is missing and or changed.

haveing one of these bibles i belive dont make you any less cristian, i belive we all love jesus the same. to me its more of a matter that thoes who made the NIV and RSV wanted us to forget about the glory of jesus and put our faith in a pope..

Making digs at Catholics will not go unnoticed by me...perhaps you should learn what your talking about before you go and start throwing Anti-Catholic remarks around.

Last edited:

Please, this isn't the place to pick a fight about a bible translation. But since you are so convinced lets see your proof.

I won't dispute that the KJV is an excellent translation, but the Textus Receptus from which it is translated is a very small block of available manuscripts. Especially since the discovery of the dead sea scrolls.

There is no translation that was inspired by God, only the text as penned by the original authors in the original languages were God breathed. The original texts can not be translated into any other language and still retain their full meaning. There is no such thing as a perfect translation, i've been searching for years and haven't found it. The NASB and ESV are more word for word with the original text than the KJV, just pull out your Strongs dictionary and an Interlinear Bible and you'll see. Trust me, I have.

I won't dispute that the NIV and RSV are more on the koolaid side of things but the important thing is that people are reading God's word from them and being saved, just like the KJV, NASB, ESV, NLT, HCSV, etc...

Please don't come here and poke at other denominations you don't understand. I am not a Catholic, but I have friends that are. Many people have a warped or outdated perception of Catholicism. The Catholic church of today since Vatican II has underwent many reforms and is quite different than it was 100 years ago.

Last edited:
My favorite is the ESV, but I refer to the NIV on my BlackBerry since that is what my church uses. I also like NKJV, but I have to say that KJV is my least favorite. In addition to be written in a style that many people don't understand today, the KJV was commissioned by a man jokingly known in that day as "Queen James."

Also, according to researchers: "Although the title page of The King James Bible boasted that it was "newly translated out of the original tongues," the work was actually a revision of The Bishop's Bible of 1568, which was a revision of The Great Bible of 1539, which was itself based on three previous English translations from the early 1500s. So, the men who produced the King James Bible not only inherited some of the errors made by previous English translators, but invented some of their own."

KVJ? No thanks.

yes tea; you are mostly corect... it wasnt untill the 1900 that the roman cathlic church even alowed their people to read the bible.

i belive that any change in god's word is somewhat blasphemous.
i used to be cathlic; untill i learned some of their docterines wernt biblical. that dont mean i dont love my cathlic freinds. any form of the bible is better than none. i belive we all love jesus and know that by him we are saved; so dont try and think im atacking you. i just want to bring you truth.. i came to this clan because i wanted to be with christians who can debate and discuss the word. not to argue about it.
i have sevral forms in witch i can show u the difrence between the scriptures. but since this topic is about witch one you like most im not doing it here because its against the rules of the topic. ill make a seperate post for it.
god bless.

there is only 1 real version KJV..

Actually - no English Bible would be considered the "only 1 real version." That would be reserved for the Hebrew (OT) and the Greek (NT) versions.

Personally - my in-hand, all-purpose Bible - the NIV. If I'm studying - the NASB. For devotions - NLT or MSG. For poetic beauty - KJV. My favorite study Bible is the Life Application with the NLT version. My go-to commentary (quick reference, down-and-dirty) is the Life Application Commentary.

The Bible I am starting to really enjoy is the HCSB - Holman Christian Standard Bible. It is rapidly becoming my favorite - and it has a great commentary to boot.

yes tea; you are mostly corect... it wasnt untill the 1900 that the roman cathlic church even alowed their people to read the bible.

i belive that any change in god's word is somewhat blasphemous.
i used to be cathlic; untill i learned some of their docterines wernt biblical. that dont mean i dont love my cathlic freinds. any form of the bible is better than none. i belive we all love jesus and know that by him we are saved; so dont try and think im atacking you. i just want to bring you truth.. i came to this clan because i wanted to be with christians who can debate and discuss the word. not to argue about it.
i have sevral forms in witch i can show u the difrence between the scriptures. but since this topic is about witch one you like most im not doing it here because its against the rules of the topic. ill make a seperate post for it.
god bless.

I would like to hear what you have to say, I look forward to your new thread when you post it.

In-depth study, Hebrew and Greek. Lesson Prep and Word Study Source, NASB. Daily reading and Study, ESV.

Oh, and for an interesting read about how modern translations came into being, check out From Ancient Tablets to Modern Translations. It only goes up through about the 1980s but still, it gives a lot of perspective into the process of creating a translation. It was recommended to me by on of my professors from college; he is an OT, Aramaic and Hebrew Scholar with a plethora of published works.

I can study from most versions, I have worn out an RSV, a NAS, and a couple of others. All of the worn out ones are kept for the memories they contain. The current one that I use is a NKJ for paper in hand, and NIV, or NAS for work on line. They now last a little longer with online versions being used most often. I gave up highlighting and underling a number of years ago when I felt like it was over emphasizing a few verses when the whole Bible is important. Now I just memorize favorites, or at least memorize the reference. Such as Habakkuk 3:17-29 for those like myself on a fixed income that is not quit making it.

Last edited:
HCSB has been my version of choice for the last three years or so. I really like the balance of literalness and ease of reading; but for in-depth study I usually go to e-sword, if I'm at the computer, or if I'm out and about MySword app for android tablet. Bible app from YouVersion is a good one too, for android, it has the HCSB version for free on it.

I prefer the NET bible. I love the notes that say all the different viewpoints on why a particular translation of a verse was chosen (assuming there is any controversy over it). If you get the paper version Genesis 1:1-2 takes up a whole page with the rest being translation notes and study notes. This might be too heavy for some but as my Greek is exceptionally limited I love the understanding it brings. Also as well as being free you can order paper copies, just be sure to work out first - it's real heavy!
KJV sounds pretty, but as others have mentioned the number of translators involved in the process and the access they had to original documents is limited. Bibles such as the message and other modernised translations may be excellent for some but I personally prefer accuracy over someones own interpretation of what that verse may mean today.

Still as people have said nothing but the original is going to be the divine inspired word of God and whatever translation you use it's simply good to get into the Word.

Well, Since the last time I posted in this thread was 2007, things have changed a little. :)

I use the ESV as my all around, while looking into NASB when I need some different looks for accuracy, and I'll look towards NLT when I want something to sound better. I still go back to NIV every once in a while, and if I'm doing an in depth study I'll take a look at KJV & NKJV as well. I'll also hit up HCSB every once in a while when studying. I hope to one day learn Hebrew/Greek so I can understand the original languages better, but until then I use the numerous resources I have to look at them.

Has anyone else changed their preferences in the last 5 years? :)

Back