wow...vista...wow

vibrokatana

So anyway I installed vista a few days ago for kicks and now it doesnt even work.

Lets see, I log in and can open something like firefox fine, but I can't run tasks that spawn other programs, because then the original task locks up. Lets see, the start menu is dead, task manager dead, hmm like 5 explorers dead...

I am running a virus scan now, but lol, this is pretty rediculous.

I have installed vista here(jsut to see how heavy handed it is). at a cold boot..after it's loaded it chews up 600 megs!!!!. I have a gig of ram. That's amazing. This isn't 600 megs of file cache or page cache but 600 megs of vista at idle. Whew.

I think it is something to do with vista's hardware access. A few times it would pop up with trying to locate file or something. eh whatever, typical m$ product

I think it is something to do with vista's hardware access. A few times it would pop up with trying to locate file or something. eh whatever, typical m$ product

That's why I'm not getting it. If anything my next computer will be something like a used Mac

The bloat comes fromt he integrated winders defender, the huuuuuge amount of DRM built into the os..ALL PARTS OF THE OS....and the huge bloat of trying to 3d-ize the desktop using a 20 year-old codebase..:)

oww, the sound all of a sudden got really distorted and really high pitched. I should sue for hearing loss.

Well, at least you have sound! Back when I got the beta... no drivers for my card.
Just out of curiosity - did any of you actually buy Vista?

I haven't had any of the problems you guys have with vista......aside form the the fact it's a major reasource hog......I kinda like it.

seriously.... once all the bugs are out.... what are the pro's and con's......

ok. nvm on the cons.... that list will be to long. so the question again is....

ONCE, all the bugs are out of Vista... what is so great about it?

meh, i'm happy with XP, nothing incredibly bad is wrong with XP...

hmm, I get bored and like to install stuff. The only benefit to vista is....The interface is actually slightly pleasing to look at. Of course it makes up on that by annoying you with a lack of standards in the menus, hidden tools to do simple tasks and an annoying tendency to just plain annoy you to death with stupid things.

Vista is.......pretty....kinda like Mac.....in fact they made a few windows even function like a Mac (the file explorer for example)....but aside for a few 'neat' things like gadgets, and that preview window on the task bar, there really isn't much if any reason to get vista yet. If XP works, then stay with it. If all you want is a pretty deaktop...then buy a Mac. It does a better job AND doesn't consume half of what vista needs to run well.

vista is one thing mac isn't..lean. Vista requires a gaming mahcine to get the full performance out of it..mac can do it on 5 year old intergrated graphics.

vista..lean...HAHAHAHA

my OSX install uses maybe 25gb with all my applications and documents (mostly 5-10MB image related stuff)

A fresh install of vista with barely anything installed takes up over 20GB. I believe a fresh install was something like 7GB, which climbs rapidly as the thing needs everything on the earth to get some usefullness out of it,

Back