Windows Vista

ooh sweet, some one asked for it.

1) lack of good program support. I ran into many programs and games that didn't run well or refused to run at all
2) drivers suck for many devices
3) games run slower and in many cases have glitches (in vista CS:S has a weird issue with players not rendering sometimes untill they kill you or they are all the way into the hallway)
4) The interface is downright confusing and cluettered imo
5) Compositing does't really enable anything nifty besides some zooming effects when opening and closing windows and the so called 3d program switcher. I got so sick of waiting for windows to appear (dialogs, etc) that I disabled it.
6) Insanely overpriced
7) Security dialogs are incredibly annoying and don't really help IMO
8) You can easily disable all of vista's "security" with the flip of a switch
9) The thing is littered with DRM to the point that video playback suffers severely.
10) The thing eats ram like it is going out of style

Caleb, if you're looking for a good, reliable system, why not have a look at OSX? A Mac is GUARANTEED to satisfy your needs. The flaws in OSX are few and far between. It runs smoothly, looks beautiful, is secure (you won't need any security software), and you won't need to buy very much external software, as a great package is already included. In October, Leopard will be release (newest version of OSX), and it's sure to be a hit.

I can't wait for leopard. I can't stand to work with vista. I have even gone to the extent of having to deny helping people on the vista machines because it just makes me plain angry.

The main thing that really makes me angry is the new control panel and the file browser. They cluttered the control panel with apparently hundreds of icons that are no where similar to XP. Also the file browser is ANNOYING. It has nifty drop down segments where you can select a folder directories behind...BUT it is completely designed wrong such that you constantly click the wrong thing and end up waiting for it to grab the folder info...

If they continue the current trend of IE7, Office 2007 and the horrible interface of vista I will never purchase it.

My dad (a VP of a local corporation) got a single vista license to test the current software for possible migration to vista. So far we only have 1 machine running vista and I think it's going to stay that way for a long while to come. New machines are getting XP Pro.

1) lack of good program support. I ran into many programs and games that didn't run well or refused to run at all
I haven't had this problem at all.
3) games run slower and in many cases have glitches (in vista CS:S has a weird issue with players not rendering sometimes untill they kill you or they are all the way into the hallway)
Could be due to the CPU being set to power saver mode, changing this increases performance.
4) The interface is downright confusing and cluettered imo
All new OS's take getting used to, once you use it it becomes second nature.
6) Insanely overpriced
As are all new products.

10) The thing eats ram like it is going out of style
Yes it does, but do you know why? It might be good to offer an explanation instead of outright nay saying.

I have enjoyed Vista and once it was set up to my liking I have not had any problems with it.

I haven't had this problem at all.
I have had several issues. Deus EX: IW locks up on start. Many programs have issues scanning the font directory. Several issues with games conflicting with the window management system and DX interface and causing a crash of the entire window management system. Several programs start up to 3-10x slower then XP. You need to run some programs with administrator access because they don't provide a system of overlay (like they were originally going to do). The fact that several versions of office had compatibility broken and microsoft doesn't care because they know people will just buy the new version.
Could be due to the CPU being set to power saver mode, changing this increases performance.
All power saving is disabled in my BIOS
All new OS's take getting used to, once you use it it becomes second nature.
Yes, but that does not explain the lack of interface standards and apparently random placement of icons.
As are all new products.
The competition charges a flat fee for their OS. (Novell, Red Hat, Apple). Microsoft is gouging prices because they can.
Yes it does, but do you know why? It might be good to offer an explanation instead of outright nay saying.
Efficiency of available resources means that in the long run someone using vista can loose productivity. Over time this can add up to extraordinary costs.
I have enjoyed Vista and once it was set up to my liking I have not had any problems with it.
Good for you, I wont feel sorry when something goes wrong though.

Well VK, your obvious disdain for all things MS aside, you still failed to answer with a technically accurate explanation of WHY it eats RAM. Yeah Im being picky, but there is a reason why it acts like it does. And not to be a jerk but,
Good for you, I wont feel sorry when something goes wrong though.
Thats a good Christian attitude to have.

Well VK, your obvious disdain for all things MS aside, you still failed to answer with a technically accurate explanation of WHY it eats RAM. Yeah Im being picky, but there is a reason why it acts like it does. And not to be a jerk but,

Thats a good Christian attitude to have.

i think a good way of explaining the ram thing is this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xC5uEe5OzNQ&mode=related&search=

my laptop with 512mb ram, turion ml32, 60gb hd, 128mb graphics card, cannot run vista for the life of it. i got the free vista cds from HP cuz my laptop was "vista compatible" when i bought it and it ran sooooooooooooooooooooo slooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow, so i used recovery disks and xp runs just fine on my machine as well as compiz (beryl) when i dual boot into my linux partition.

btw VK do u what know plugin or app the guy in the video was running for the macos selector type thingymabob

Caleb, if you're looking for a good, reliable system, why not have a look at OSX? A Mac is GUARANTEED to satisfy your needs. The flaws in OSX are few and far between. It runs smoothly, looks beautiful, is secure (you won't need any security software), and you won't need to buy very much external software, as a great package is already included. In October, Leopard will be release (newest version of OSX), and it's sure to be a hit.

....and it all costs over 1200 dollars. I know, I know, it's superior to any version of Windows ever made, but I'm just saying if it's on any sort of budget OSX is out of the question.

...and then... there's Linux... :eek:

....and it all costs over 1200 dollars. I know, I know, it's superior to any version of Windows ever made, but I'm just saying if it's on any sort of budget OSX is out of the question.

...and then... there's Linux... :eek:

1200? ima get myself a mac mini in the next month or so

I have been testing vista here on a new notebook i jsut bought. It came with vista basic..which is about useless. Luckily i ahve an usused home premium on and installed it.

Networking? forget it if you want naything fast. on a 100 meg network vista is maxing out at 25 megabits. I had to turn 90% of the new features off tog et vista back up to 80 megabits or above. This was talking to both xp And my linux file server. Wireless is also slow with a wireless g maxing out at 8 megabits..should be around 12 meghabits usable.

On my desktop vista requires 600 megs at boot..that's before any caching..just at idle!!!. You can imagine how it crunches with 512 on the notebook. Vista really needs a gigabyte for itself and another gig for anything else.

My nvidia soundstorm isn't supported in vista because of the lack of the pernicious DRM. On
the notebook it's software sound..so it works..mostly.

It comes in handy troubleshooting networking issues..if the notebook works it's not my network..heheheheh.

Vista will continue to provide me with a revenue stream(i'm betting much moreso than Xp could ever dream of) so let the Vista purchases begin..<G>

Last edited:
Considering you need something like 3GB of ram to actually satiate vista to the point where it isn't memory constrained it isn't even funny.

They actually did a study awhile back and slowly increased the ram amount until it performed with the lowest possible time for office and browsing activities. I for one wont support vista for a long while, you will have to force me to do it. Just touching it makes me angry and frustrated because it annoys the heck out of you (I forced myself to use it for several weeks) after the install blew up I just installed linux and never looked back.

which is why my laptop ran like crap with vista on it

which is why my laptop ran like crap with vista on it

Which is why most computers run like crap with vista.

Yet the sad part is compiz can achieve all the nifty effects on a p3/256mb ram. Maybe they missed a boolean somewhere?

Code:
while(i = TRUE) 
{
    eat_ram();
}

Which is why most computers run like crap with vista.

Yet the sad part is compiz can achieve all the nifty effects on a p3/256mb ram. Maybe they missed a boolean somewhere?

Code:
while(i = TRUE) 
{
    eat_ram();
}

yeah but it took me like 4 hours before i figured out how to get xgl to work with compiz lol. btw VK u never told me what the os x type dock is called in that video i posted. ive looked alot but i cant find it when i google around

yeah but it took me like 4 hours before i figured out how to get xgl to work with compiz lol. btw VK u never told me what the os x type dock is called in that video i posted. ive looked alot but i cant find it when i google around

uhh, Fedora comes with compiz already installed, I spent 0 hours getting it to work. Also I don't care much for alternative docks. I haven't tried any for awhile so I wouldn't know which one it is.

well the main problem was XGL and getting it to load with 64bit os with my ati card >.>

Back